Fenix P3D/PD30 Alternatives???

Jackyl

Enlightened
I "replaced" my P3D-CE with a P3D-Q5 that was bad. I decided to wait until the new PD30's come out for a replacement, but first want to weigh my options.

- I don't mind spending up to $90.
- I want at least 3 modes.
- I prefer anti-roll.
- I want a Q5 / R2 emitter.
- I want it to be a (2) CR123 cell.
- Must be similar in size to the P3D.
- Tritium would be a plus.
- US made would be a plus.

I recently discovered the Nitecore lights, but my impression is the emitters are hit / miss and models are mostly single cell. Am I missing any other contenders?

Last edited:

Jackyl

Enlightened
With the D20, I sort of figured...sweet news man, but how do they compare to Fenix overall? Are they using the Golden Dragon emitters exclusively now? Not sure what I think about them yet...need to do some readin'. Thanks.

Last edited:

Jackyl

Enlightened
I did and it looks cool, but I really prefer the extended runtime of a 2 cell. Think I'll still go with a PD30 for now. If I do decide to pickup a single cell, I'll snag a Novatac or a NiteCore.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
How about a 1x123 that can not only run as long as the Fenix P3D, but can also be brighter?

Any of the JetBeam 1x123s can go all the way down to 2 lumens, giving you ~70 hours runtime on a single cell, right on par with the P3D. And they all have a max output of 225 lumens - only 10 over the Fenix, but with a narrower beam which throws much better and is notably brighter to the eye. Plus if you run them on an RCR123, they boost up to 250 lumens.

All have three modes *that you set* with infinite brightness control, so you determine what your modes are (2-225 lumens output, hi/low SOSs, hi/low locators, 1-15hz strobes). All are Q5 emitters with much higher build quality/materials than the Fenix models (Mil-Spec HAIII anodizing, sapphire crystal lens, silicone o-rings, squared threads).

And using your CPF discount over at BugOutGear (search for "CPF", http://www.bugoutgearusa.com/jefl.html), they're in the same price range as similar Fenix lights. If you're ready for the next step above and beyond Fenix engineering, definitely give them a look; I EDC'ed a few different Fenixes until I got my Jet, I now find the Fenix interface to be stilted and awkward, I haven't used them since. Highly recommended :thumbsup:

Flic

Enlightened
Sounds to me like you are describing the Olight T20 Q5. Three modes (regular, strobe and SOS) and five intensity levels on regular. It also features a memory. The half smooth / half tectured reflector gives good throw while providing a smooth beam. The light is also available in "Military" and "Tactical" versions with forward clickies. The UI is different from the Fenix as the clickie is used for on/off and mode selection, while twisting the head selects output level. As you can tell I am a fan.

Here are some useful links:
http://www.light-reviews.com/olight_t20/
http://www.light-reviews.com/olight_t20-m/
http://www.light-reviews.com/olight_t20-t/
http://www.batteryjunction.com/olt20t15t10.html

Last edited:

Jackyl

Enlightened
Nice, I was looking at them too, but wasn't sure of the quility. I'll check them out. Thanks!!!

Flic

Enlightened
Nice, I was looking at them too, but wasn't sure of the quility. I'll check them out. Thanks!!!

I have a few, including some I have bought from other CPFers. I have had absolutely no problems with them. The only issue I had was that one of the used ones arrived with the switch retaining ring loose. Two seconds with the needle nose pliers put it right and it has been trouble free since.

Good luck in your hunt!

Jackyl

Enlightened
I'm now seriously looking at JetBeam, NiteCore, Olight, and Deree. Out of these, I imagine the quality is similar, but does any one stand out among the rest? How about emitters...which is least likely "tint lottery"? Any US made? Thanks, I've got some reading to do. ;)

A co-worker got a NiteCore NEX today. That baby is nice, but I don't really care for the user interface. I was surprised it didn't have the piston drive.

Last edited:

Jackyl

Enlightened
I love how modular the Deerelights are, but C2H is the only one that fits the bill, and I don't like the non-removable clip.

The NiteCores don't look that attractive since I didn't really care for the NEX, which is the only model capable of 200+ lumens. Maybe that interface would grow on me...MAYBE.

Looks aren't everything, but Olight looks a little "cheap" to me and the first beamshot I saw (M20) looks like an offset emitter. Little bit of engrish on the page.

JetBeam seems awfully partial to 18650's cept for the Jet-II's. What is the difference between Pro and not?

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
JetBeam seems awfully partial to 18650's cept for the Jet-II's. What is the difference between Pro and not?

JetBeam uses a numbering system to identify what battery type a light uses, I is AA, II is 123, III is 18650 (excepting the Military model which can also accept 123s).

Pro designates a newer model, which has a slightly tighter beam and construction revisions/upgrades over older models.

JetBeam does indeed have quite a few 18650 models, to break them down:

ST - General use beam (no clip)
Pro - Thrower beam (reverse clicky)
Military - Thrower beam (can accept R/CR123s, only two modes)
Ultra - Super thrower beam

They all feature the IBS interface, so whichever you choose will have user defined modes with 2-225 lumens output, high/low SOSs, high/low locators, 1-15hz strobes.

The big bonus with 18650s is runtime, you can run a reasonable 200 lumens for two hours, and way down at 2 lumens you can do *over six days* contiguous :eek:

Jackyl

Enlightened
Thanks man, I'm REALLY looking at the seemingly bulky Jet-III Military, but don't really understand the 2 modes thing. Do you mean you can "program" a high and low mode with IBS and it doesn't have strobe / SOS, etc.?

I worry that it will be too involved to lower the low when I want to...I REALLY would like to have 3 modes unless I can easily bump the high to max or low to min.

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic
The M model has one fixed setting, the other settings is programable. All other Jet's has 3 programable settings.

Each programable setting can be either a fixed light level, a strobe or a sos.

Jackyl

Enlightened
Ahhh...so high is max and low is programmable? How easy is it to adjust the low for temporary use?

HKJ

Flashaholic
Ahhh...so high is max and low is programmable? How easy is it to adjust the low for temporary use?

The IBS interface needs 3 fast "half" clicks (on/off/on) to get into adjustment mode, there the output will "slowly" change from lowest to highest repeatly.
Click one more time to get into strobe/sos modes, where the light also changes between all settings.
When it is at the desired setting, turn it off and the setting is stored.

With a reverse switch, your can do the clicking from on state, with a forward, your do it from off state.

With this interface your do not change a setting for temporary uses, rather your select the new start value for that setting. With the M's fixed high setting your will always know one of the settings, with the other Jet-IBS lights your can customize all 3 settings.

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not so easy.

Three clicks to enter the ramping, then when the light turns off it is saved for that level. So you'd have to reprogram it to get back to your normal mode.