I thought Surefires were waterproof...

DuckhunterInTN

Newly Enlightened
I used my A2 last night underwater (kind of a weird story...you probably don't want to know) for a while and after I was done I noticed water in the bezel. I thought they were supposed to be waterproof? I had it less than 8 feet deep in water. It still functions fine, though, other than the lense and reflector covered in chalky sediment that was in the water (which I assume is probably going to hurt its brightness).

Rossymeister

Enlightened
Submergibility Of A Light Depends On Several Factors:

-Condition Of The O-Rings
-Whether Or Not They Are Lubricated
-Method Of Switching Used Underwater
-Modifications Done To The Light

Is This Light In Stock Form?

What Is the Condition Of The O-Rings?

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
They are not waterproof.

They are resistant in a static condition to a few feet.

There IS 1 model that is more water "proof" but I can't recall which. 9N 9X eh somethin' like that.

I treat all lights like they should only be splashed with water unless they are specifically designed for actual underwater work. Ie: A divelight.

Could you play around in the backyard pool with your A2 and have no watre get in, sure. But you need to make sure your threads are WELL lubed and your O-rings are perfect. Which means nothing if you are working the Surefire switch underwater.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Sorry to hear about your A2 trouble.

Hope that SureFire resolves everything to your satisfaction.

_

kramer5150

Flashaholic
The deepest I've had my 6P was 3-4 feet / 10 minutes. That was with gaskets well lubed with plumbers O-ring grease, and NOT cycling the twist cap on or off.

8 feet as minuscule as it sounds does exert pressure on anything thats submerged.

no they are not waterproof. Shallow dunkproof at best.

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont own a A2, but at least on the KL1 I have the lens oring is not even an oring at all, its some kind of flat rubber gasket, that keeps the glass from rubbing on the metal and keep rain out. NO way this thing comes even close to the sealing effect of an o-ring. Weatherproof??..maibe. Waterproof ?? you thought wrong my friend..Call Surefire, they excell on warranty service..

DuckhunterInTN

Newly Enlightened
Well, if what most of you are saying is true then what is up with the following paragraph which is at the top of every Surefire flashlight review on flashlightreviews.com (which I consider to be a reputable source)?

"UPDATE: Surefire has affirmed that all current Surefire lights should be waterproof to about 33 feet/10 meters. Some reviews were posted before Surefire made the affirmation that their lights were watertight to 1 atmosphere depth. Any new Surefire lights you purchase now should be considered waterproof to 33 feet/10 meters."

And to answer questions, the light is stock, it was not switched on or off underwater, the o-rings were present, not torn, and not particularly greased up but not dry.

As far as Surefire's responsibility to repair the light, it still works fine, and is my beater light anyways, so as far as I am concerned is not a warranty issue.

DuckhunterInTN

Newly Enlightened
Simply put, flashlightreviews is just wrong on this point.

Based on the water in my bezel, I would tend to agree with ya. :)

But it sure sounds like from flashlightreview's wording that they got that information directly from Surefire...

B737Driver

Newly Enlightened
The key word is "static pressure". The pressure subjected to a flashlight at a specified depth less than the limit can easily be reached and or exceeded if the flashlight is moved underwater. The faster it moves, the greater the pressure or "depth" the light is subjected to. The static pressure at 10 feet can be reached in a bath tub.

Cheers

Last edited:

tweeker

Newly Enlightened
Yeah it says weatherproof on the surefire website. I know there are alot of hints to suggest that they are waterproof through the reviews and on surefires website, but unless it clearly states that it is waterproof I wouldnt expect it to take an 8 foot dive. I was thinking of testing one out next time I go diving, but if it cant handle 8 feet I dont think it could handle 80. 8 feet Might not seem like too much pressure to us, but we are mostly liquid, the flashlight is not. On the bright side it still works right? a good cleaning and it should be good as new.

Zen|th

Newly Enlightened
Ouch, sory to hear about the A2.. early this year i was also vey tempted to try putting my 6PDL under running water.

But I was too afraid to try it. And I was also so curious to know whether my G2 would work in the swimming pool at my condo :sssh:

I wonder should I try it...?

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
The key word is "static pressure". The pressure subjected to a flashlight at a specified depth less than the limit can easily be reached and or exceeded if the flashlight is moved underwater. The faster it moves, the greater the pressure or "depth" the light is subjected to. The static pressure at 10 feet can be reached in a bath tub.

Cheers

exactly, so if the surefire is rated at 33 feet, that can easily be exceeded in 8 feet of water

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, if what most of you are saying is true then what is up with the following paragraph which is at the top of every Surefire flashlight review on flashlightreviews.com (which I consider to be a reputable source)?

"UPDATE: Surefire has affirmed that all current Surefire lights should be waterproof to about 33 feet/10 meters. Some reviews were posted before Surefire made the affirmation that their lights were watertight to 1 atmosphere depth. Any new Surefire lights you purchase now should be considered waterproof to 33 feet/10 meters."

And to answer questions, the light is stock, it was not switched on or off underwater, the o-rings were present, not torn, and not particularly greased up but not dry.

As far as Surefire's responsibility to repair the light, it still works fine, and is my beater light anyways, so as far as I am concerned is not a warranty issue.
It's 33ft only at sea level.