D-Cell Mag Multistage Switch

BlindRacer

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, I'm currently taking on a project of converting an old maglite that I had laying around, into an LED light. It's all going to be a custom setup. I'm using 9 280,000mcd white 10mm led's. Don't know how they compare to the single P7 (I hear that's one of the best), but I started this project before I knew of this site. The LED's have a 40 degree focus and a lot of spill. I'm making this light for camping, and I want to be able to see a lot around me, so I think it will be perfect.

The thing I'm posting for, is that I'm looking for some way to be able to take the output down to 50% or 25% or something. These LED's are so bright that I'm almost afraid that it's going to be bugging other campers. I'd like to have a 100% and at least one other mode, like a 50% or 25% level. If anyone knows of a way to do this, that would be awesome. I'm not opposed to soldering a little, but I don't know all that much about electronics, so it can't be too complicated.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
9 10mm or 5mm LEDs should be similar in output, IIRC they use the same internal components except with different package. I'm guessing around 25-50 lumen depending on LED and drive current. A single Cree XR-E Q5 or Seoul P4 U or U2 bin can hit over 200 lumen, even with the same output as th 10mm LEDs you might get more throw with the high power LEDs because of the reflector. A single Seoul P7(essentually 4 Seoul P4s in a package) can hit 750-900 lumen at the max recommended current.

As for different levels, I'm not sure, maybe a high power LED driver would work, but then the Vfs of the LED are probably different and that is improtant because with a single driver you will probably need to wire the LEDs in parallel. One LED might burn out while another might not light up. Also the driver might supply too much current(current depends on the driver).

Maybe a potentiometer can be sued so you can controll the exact output. I don't know how you can install it and not compromise some water resistance though. Maybe somehow connect it to the head of the light(twist for different output)?

If you want to go for a drop-in, you can check here.

:welcome:

BlindRacer

Newly Enlightened
Good to know about the output. I had an idea for a temporary solution to different levels of output.

I can make a small disk. two metal washers, sandwiched by some pvc board. Then in between, I'll use a resistor that will connect the two washers. When I want it dimmer, then I'll unscrew the bottom, take the resistance disk out of the little storage area, and put it at the bottom of the batteries between them and the bottom spring. When I want full light, then I'll just put it back in it's storage area.

Think that would work?

If so, do you have any idea on the resistor that would be needed?

Vf is 3.6V-4.0V max
Current is 100ma max (I'm resisting to 85-90% output for standard use)
Supply is 4.5V from batteries
9LED's run parallel (not in series)

I can test a few, since I have some different amounts laying around. One 100ohm resistor reduced output of one (already resisted) LED to about 75%. Would this reduce all 9 that much? Or would it change since there's multiple?

Thanks for all the help.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy BlindRacer, and welcome to CPF,
First of all, you might get more responses if this question were posted in the "Homemade and Modified Lights" section.

Now, to answer your question as best I can. I have a very nice 3D Maglight that was modified with a nifty Q2 LED by CPF member DonShock, and it has a very cool 5 way switch in place of the standard Mag switch.

I believe it's 100%, 50%, 25%, slow beacon, fast beacon. I don't believe it has a driver, so it's not regulated..... but it serves my purposes as an emergency/all purpose light quite well.

You might contact Don (see the Member List in the blue bar at the top of the page and send Don a PM).

I'm pretty sure he used a switch which he got from Wayne at this site:
http://www.elektrolumens.com/
So, you could contact Wayne also.

Now, just a thought before you get all involved in this mod job. If you want to do it for the sheer joy and satisfaction of the modding process, then cool........ but if you are simply looking for a nifty camping light, then you might consider spending a bit of time reading the review area here and looking at was is currently available.

You might find that something like a Fenix L2D is perfect for what you need. It's a neat little 2xAA light with 4 light levels, plus strobe and SOS. It's very rugged, and many CPF members use one regularly..... myself included:
https://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_69_71&products_id=195

In any case, good luck and happy hunting for your new light!

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I don't know that much about electronics, maybe you can get a admin or moderator to move the thread to the Homemade and modified or Electronics section.

alphazeta

Enlightened
Good to know about the output. I had an idea for a temporary solution to different levels of output.

I can make a small disk. two metal washers, sandwiched by some pvc board. Then in between, I'll use a resistor that will connect the two washers. When I want it dimmer, then I'll unscrew the bottom, take the resistance disk out of the little storage area, and put it at the bottom of the batteries between them and the bottom spring. When I want full light, then I'll just put it back in it's storage area.

Think that would work?

If so, do you have any idea on the resistor that would be needed?

Vf is 3.6V-4.0V max
Current is 100ma max (I'm resisting to 85-90% output for standard use)
Supply is 4.5V from batteries
9LED's run parallel (not in series)

I can test a few, since I have some different amounts laying around. One 100ohm resistor reduced output of one (already resisted) LED to about 75%. Would this reduce all 9 that much? Or would it change since there's multiple?

Thanks for all the help.

Yes, it would reduce all 9 of the LEDs by that much. You'll just have to make sure the resistor you choose is rated for the wattage you want to run thru it. I think your resistor disk idea is a good & cheap solution (w/ minimum labor) for what you want to achieve.
-AZ

BlindRacer

Newly Enlightened
Howdy BlindRacer, and welcome to CPF,
First of all, you might get more responses if this question were posted in the "Homemade and Modified Lights" section.

Now, to answer your question as best I can. I have a very nice 3D Maglight that was modified with a nifty Q2 LED by CPF member DonShock, and it has a very cool 5 way switch in place of the standard Mag switch.

I believe it's 100%, 50%, 25%, slow beacon, fast beacon. I don't believe it has a driver, so it's not regulated..... but it serves my purposes as an emergency/all purpose light quite well.

You might contact Don (see the Member List in the blue bar at the top of the page and send Don a PM).

I'm pretty sure he used a switch which he got from Wayne at this site:
http://www.elektrolumens.com/
So, you could contact Wayne also.

Now, just a thought before you get all involved in this mod job. If you want to do it for the sheer joy and satisfaction of the modding process, then cool........ but if you are simply looking for a nifty camping light, then you might consider spending a bit of time reading the review area here and looking at was is currently available.

You might find that something like a Fenix L2D is perfect for what you need. It's a neat little 2xAA light with 4 light levels, plus strobe and SOS. It's very rugged, and many CPF members use one regularly..... myself included:
https://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_69_71&products_id=195

In any case, good luck and happy hunting for your new light!
Thanks for all the great info. Sorry about posting in the wrong section...didn't see a homemade section.

Anyways, I finished the light. It's awesome! :crackup: I don't know what I'd compare it too, but looking into the light hurts just about the same as looking into a cars headlights...not that I make a habit of that :)

I expected it to be a little bit brighter than the single LED minimag that I made with the same LED. That one was unresisted at 3V...this one is resisted to about 90% at 4.5V. Plus there's 9 of them. I put them next to each other on the wall, and the small one (that was brighter than a standard minimag) completely disappeared.

Plus this thing has a 40 degree spread, so it's really easy to see your surroundings, and it has tons of spill. I'm really really pleased with it.

Also, the resistance disk worked great. Only problem is, it's with a half watt resistor. I used a 10ohm 1/2 watt, and it took it down to about where my minimag that I modded was (so I think I'm just going to bring that one too). If I do want that disk idea then I may use less ohms so it's a little brighter, and more watts so it can handle it.

Thanks for all your help. I'll check into that other switch option.