JETBeam Jet-III Military Series Mini review - Beamshots and more

whc

Enlightened
Just received mine today, and WOW what a beautiful flashlight, very well constructed, am very impressed with the build and feel of the light, I have always thought of JetBeam as making some of the nicest looking flashlights out there, though lack of forward clicky has held me back from getting one, but now with the M series, that is a thing of the past.

Could not wait to get a 18650 cell in the light, to see the tint and beam pattern, must say am not happy with the tint, not cold or white, but more to the purple side, I am a big fan of warm white tints, so will either change the LED myself, or is it possible to get a LED module with the new warm tints for upgrades Flavio?

Anyway, took some images of the lights to share with ya all, will see if I can get the time to do a detailed review later, though am pretty busy on other projects, so don't know if I can get the time.

Well here is some pics, you can find more here: http://lygter.wcw.dk

----

My packaging has been thrown around a bit, so some damage had been made to the box, though the light is very well protected inside the box, so not a mark or scratch to find on the light:

1225198366_resized.jpg

1225198367_resized.jpg

1225198369_resized.jpg

1225198370_resized.jpg

Some other lights to compare size, overall I think it has a very
perfect size for an all-round 1x18650 light, not too small and not too big:

1225198335_resized.jpg

From left: NDI, 120P, J-III M, Spear
1225198341_resized.jpg

1225198342_resized.jpg

1225198344_resized.jpg

1225198345_resized.jpg

1225198346_resized.jpg

1225198347_resized.jpg

1225198348_resized.jpg

Look at those gorgeous threads, very nice and both ends came well lubed (have not applied lube myself), these threads is among the strongest and best I have seen in a light before (it is rare to come across square threads):

1225198349_resized.jpg

1225198350_resized.jpg

The color reminds me of my Nokia E66, which is not a bad thing :):

1225198356_resized.jpg

---

Now to some beamshots, about 1,5m to the wall, I use 1x AW protected cells in all my lights. The Jet-III M is the one to the left, all on MAX level:

1225198358_resized.jpg

2-stops underexposed
1225198359_resized.jpg

VS. Spear
1225198361_resized.jpg

2-stops underexposed
1225198360_resized.jpg

VS. NDI
1225198362_resized.jpg

2-stops underexposed
1225198363_resized.jpg

VS. 120P
1225198365_resized.jpg

2-stops underexposed
1225198364_resized.jpg

---

Well overall this is a very nice light, easy to program (did not even read the manual), the build quality is above overage IMO, the 2 way pocket clip works very well, and the beam pattern is overall good for most tasks (not too much throw and not too floody), even though I would prefer some warmer tint and a more ring less beam.

The output is more than enough for me, it will be my new all round light, where I need long runtimes and medium output/throw, and for more throw I have the Spear, which is more than enough for my usage.

I used to have a VB-16 4th gen, which is a 32 mode light with SSC P4 LED, even though I prefer the beam pattern (why more manufacturers don't use the SSC P4 LED is bound me), I was missing a pocket clip, and tail standing firmly, also I had to go throw all 32 modes when going from high to low, which in time got pretty irritating.

It would be nice with maybe 3 or 4 programmable modes, but I can personally live with maximum and maybe a second 50% mode (never use low, only some 25-50% mode), it is very nice to be able to program just the secondary mode I like.

I would very much recommend this light to everyone, it is well worth the money, and am glad I did not go for the Olight M20, which was my second choice :D.

See some more images here: http://lygter.wcw.dk

---

UPDATE: Just took some LUX readings for anyone interested:

Overall output 18650 MAX: 7550 LUX
Overall output RCR123A MAX: 7430 LUX

Throw from 1m 18650 MAX: 5740 LUX
Throw from 1m RCR123A MAX: 5830 LUX

So output is almost identical on 18650 vs. RCR123A, not bad for us 18650 users :D.

---

UPDATE: Man today I had my J-III M with me to my workshop, I have forgotten all about that I put the light on the tool table. I was cutting some thin SS plate, about 110cm long, and needed to cut it down to 94cm. When I finished cutting I moved the plate to another tool table, in the process I hit the J-III M with the back of the plate pretty darn hard and fast (the light was standing head up), with the result of the light flying out about 1,5m hitting the wooden wall, and then hitting an wooden plate to finally come to rest on the concrete floor.

I froze for a second, thinking was that...no was it?, felt my pocket and the flashlight was not there, aw man the flashlight went pretty fast thru the air, and hitting the concrete floor from about 1,2m (I could hear it hit the floor), that must have left some pretty nasty marks or at least scratches in the HA-III.

I found the flashlight behind a wooden plate, with some dust on it, I blew away the dust, and just fast looked at the light, thinking what not a scratch, that can't be right, took the light into some stronger light and inspected it even more, could not find a single scratch on the body, turned the light around to see the bezel at the head, and found some pretty nasty dings in the nice SS bezel though.

The light works without a problem, so only some small cosmetics on the SS bezel, that is pretty impressive to me, and the reason why I personally like this kind of design, the same with my 120P, dropped several times to some very hard rocky surfaces, also only dents in the bezel, the good thing about this design is that it is very easy to change the SS bezel, and the light is again as good an new :D.

Am confident this light will handle some beatings, even though it always hurts the first time a brand new light is dropped, especially a light as beautiful as this, it is always good to know it can handle the beating, always good to know it will not die if you drop the light :).

A quick image of the dents:
1225307077_resized.jpg

---

Post of interests:

Taking out the reflector and lens for closer inspections #7
Some throw beamshots at about 15m (49ft) distance #10

Also see EngrPaul's Comparison Review found here:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=209461

Last edited:

boostedmiata

Newly Enlightened
Nice review, but bummer on the drop test. I just got the normal JB3, love it as well.

kris994

Newly Enlightened
Great review! Thanks!

Where did you order it from BTW?

Amazing how little damage the saw caused! Did the saw hit the bezel or is that damage from the drop?

And if you find the time to do a detailed review, could you do a beamshot of something in the distance to give an idea of the throw?

whc

Enlightened
I got it from here: http://www.bugoutgearusa.com/jemi.html

No saw had contact with the light, it was a metal plate that i moved around, I had to move it to another workbench, and in the process hit the light pretty hard. Kind of hard to explain, but the dents is from the drop on the concrete floor.

Will see if I can get some beamshots at distance soon :).

You can also take at look at EngrPaul's Comparison Review here: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/209461

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
This light is now available with a neutral cree, use the drop down box at bugoutgear when ordering.

I sold mine already, and ordered the new warmer tint. :party:

I intend to use the light outdoor mostly, so this will fulfill my one wish for the light. I imagine I won't be the only one...

whc

Enlightened
This light is now available with a neutral cree, use the drop down box at bugoutgear when ordering.

I sold mine already, and ordered the new warmer tint. :party:

I intend to use the light outdoor mostly, so this will fulfill my one wish for the light. I imagine I won't be the only one...
Damn, it is typically always a other better version around the corner, it is pretty tempting, though am hoping it will be offered as an upgrade in the future (fingers crossed).

Please do tell when you receive it, if it is worth it, and if the tint is good :D.

whc

Enlightened
After closer inspections, I don't think a LED module will be available, in fact I think it is pretty hard to get the LED out of the light, well I would not feel confirmable taking it apart any further than the images below.

The light keeps impressing me, it is very well build, those grooves in the reflector fits the grooves in the head perfectly, minimizing the load on the LED itself (some manufactures rest all the force from the reflector directly to the LED).

Some images:
1225328296_resized.jpg

Inside the head, nicely isolated LED
1225328295_resized.jpg

1225328297_resized.jpg

The well made reflector, fits perfect inside the head.
1225328298_resized.jpg

1225328299_resized.jpg

Pretty thick glass lens, me like :D.

SleeveleSS

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the great review. I have been looking at purchasing this light, but I have wondered how the tint compares to my Olight T20 Q5 (my only other "real" light). I am very ignorant when it comes to describing tints, but I know that the tint on the Olight suits my tastes (much better to my eyes the the 6P LED I purchased then returned). Thanks in advance for the advice.

Last edited:

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for sharing!sorry about the SS bezel though looking at it,maybe the dings could be smoothed out with 600~1200 grade sandpaper.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

whc

Enlightened
It is if you are prone to dropping like me :ohgeez:
but like you say $15.00 for a new one is not bad ;)
Guess that makes two of us, also dropping my lights now and then, and my Novatac 120P titanium bezel also has some nasty dings on it :(. Well flashlights is a tool, so don't mind some scratches and dings on it, and it is nice to know it will take some beatings before I take it with me hiking and so on :).

Am going to make allot more marks/dings before I replace it, though always nice to have a spare in the collection for the future :D.

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guess that makes two of us, also dropping my lights now and then, and my Novatac 120P titanium bezel also has some nasty dings on it :(. Well flashlights is a tool, so don't mind some scratches and dings on it, and it is nice to know it will take some beatings before I take it with me hiking and so on :).

Am going to make allot more marks/dings before I replace it, though always nice to have a spare in the collection for the future :D.
It is always the first ding or scratch that hurts,
I'm like that with shoes also when they are new, treading carefully for a few days then" usually" a dog will come along and Pee on them.
After that I do not care and go around kicking "not dogs BTW" stones and cans.
:oops: I had better let this thread back on topic,good luck with the bezel BTW. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

kris994

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the beamshots! :twothumbs

Definitely going to order one of these..

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Nice review.

Sorry about the unexpected drop test. But it's nice to know the light is a tough one.