Can any light equal the Fenix P3D/Q5?

brightnorm

Flashaholic
In its combination of brightness, runtime, beam configuration, ease and speed of brightness selection, size and weight?

For me, it is the combination of these characteristics that determine an a primary EDC light's value. I have EDC'd many lights over the years, and as a primary light the PD3/Q5 has earned its place as my most useful and functional commercial light, second only to my SPY005 (custom).

I prefer 2x123 lights to 1x123 because of the much longer runtime at a given brightness with a relatively small gain in size and weight.

My considerations are strictly practical and functional, irrespective of cost and aesthetics.

Is there another light that provides a superior combination of these features?

Brightnorm

Fird

Enlightened
the Dereelight C2H should be able to outdo it in everything except runtime (1xR123).

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the P3D-R100 for better beam quality and tint.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only thing that could beat it all around would be a P3D designed specifically for an 18650. There are brighter lights, lights that run longer, more pocketable lights, fancier UI, tougher lights, etc but I do agree that in total the P3D is a tough nut to crack. Maybe, maybe a HDS Ra Twisty w/ 18650 but price and brightness still go to the P3D.
(I'd point out the fact that I'm not even a fenix fan)
The early runs or Rebel 100s could have had better reflectors and centering imo but the tint is decent on mine. I have my gripes about the P3D but, yeah, overall a good value.

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer 2x123 lights to 1x123 because of the much longer runtime at a given brightness with a relatively small gain in size and weight.

My considerations are strictly practical and functional, irrespective of cost and aesthetics.

Is there another light that provides a superior combination of these features?

Brightnorm

How about a P3D with an extended body that holds three cr123? It would have a much longer runtime at a given brightness with a relatively small gain in size and weight. Yes you can buy a 3 cell body, and no they are not any brighter than the 2 cell body.

Patriot

Flashaholic
How about the Olight T20? I've always thought that was very trim and simple light. Maybe a little bit brighter too.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
You didn't specify that it had to be the same battery type - I'd second PhantomPhoton's suggestion at an 18650 power source, and vote for the JetBeam Jet III ST.

The ST is modestly brighter than the Fenix, but can go far lower resulting in twice the runtime when comparing lowest output levels. Plus the Jet uses the Infinite Brightness Setting interface, so rather than being tied to the P3D's four specific output modes, you can dial in exactly the amount of light you need, then save it to one of three user-settable modes. You move between the modes by soft-pressing the tailcap; no more bezel-turning, now you can quickly blip between the modes you yourself have set (and can skip going through SOS and strobe every time you cycle, though the Jet can be set for a wide range of strobe and SOS types if you need it.)

Not to mention: The beam profile is the same as a Fenix, it uses Mil-Spec anodizing, the lens is sapphire crystal, the bezel is stainless steel, you can choose what type of reflector you want, it's within half a centimeter in each dimension compared to the P3D, and the best part - it costs < $10 more than the Fenix.

See it here: http://www.bugoutgearusa.com/jetiiiprost.html

orcinus

Flashlight Enthusiast
In its combination of brightness, runtime, beam configuration, ease and speed of brightness selection, size and weight?

If you count the runtime on low, then the Arc6 beats it on all accounts.
It's brighter, has a ridiculously low low, extremely smooth and useful beam, higher brightness, better throw, is smaller and lighter, is built better and has a more intuitive (and yet customizable) UI.

And is much much more expensive... :shrug:

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too like the P3D for its long runtime and very compact size. A new light just released by Lumapower called the Encore appears to be a light that may replace my P3D. It is almost the same exact size as the P3D (so very compact - which is what I like) yet runs on the large capacity 18650 cells for guilt free lumens. It has nice output levels and I think a better build quality than the P3D. I like the flush switch that seems better quality.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
How about a P3D with an extended body that holds three cr123? It would have a much longer runtime at a given brightness with a relatively small gain in size and weight. Yes you can buy a 3 cell body, and no they are not any brighter than the 2 cell body.

Yes, for runtime under certain conditions, but not as an EDC.

BN

brightnorm

Flashaholic
If you count the runtime on low, then the Arc6 beats it on all accounts.
It's brighter, has a ridiculously low low, extremely smooth and useful beam, higher brightness, better throw, is smaller and lighter, is built better and has a more intuitive (and yet customizable) UI. And is much much more expensive... :shrug:

I haven't yet looked at the Arc 6 , although I owned many Arcs in the "old days".

BN

I too like the P3D for its long runtime and very compact size. A new light just released by Lumapower called the Encore appears to be a light that may replace my P3D. It is almost the same exact size as the P3D (so very compact - which is what I like) yet runs on the large capacity 18650 cells for guilt free lumens. It has nice output levels and I think a better build quality than the P3D. I like the flush switch that seems better quality.

Another interesting light for me to check out.

BN

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Few flashlights can match the "Boring as a Log" shape of the P3D.

No clip, no flat spots, barely any knurling, slippery when wet.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
You didn't specify that it had to be the same battery type - I'd second PhantomPhoton's suggestion at an 18650 power source, and vote for the JetBeam Jet III ST.

The ST is modestly brighter than the Fenix, but can go far lower resulting in twice the runtime when comparing lowest output levels. Plus the Jet uses the Infinite Brightness Setting interface, so rather than being tied to the P3D's four specific output modes, you can dial in exactly the amount of light you need, then save it to one of three user-settable modes. You move between the modes by soft-pressing the tailcap; no more bezel-turning, now you can quickly blip between the modes you yourself have set (and can skip going through SOS and strobe every time you cycle, though the Jet can be set for a wide range of strobe and SOS types if you need it.)

Not to mention: The beam profile is the same as a Fenix, it uses Mil-Spec anodizing, the lens is sapphire crystal, the bezel is stainless steel, you can choose what type of reflector you want, it's within half a centimeter in each dimension compared to the P3D, and the best part - it costs < $10 more than the Fenix.

See it here: http://www.bugoutgearusa.com/jetiiiprost.html

StarHalo,

I received the JetBeam (smooth reflector) a few days ago. It's an excellent, solidly constructed light with an intelligent user interface; clearly a quality product.

I decided not to keep it and gave it as a gift to a friend for several reasons. It is significantly bigger, wider, longer and heavier than my P3D/Q5. Despite the interface's flexibility it still can provide only three quickly available light levels. Surprisingly, it was noticeably dimmer at 100% than my P3D's.

If I used an EDC light for long periods every night I'd want to use rechargeables, but for my intermittent and unpredictable use I prefer 2x123's.

Brightnorm

Last edited:

2benlightened

Newly Enlightened
the question is, can any light equal the Fenix P3D/Q5 running with 4-cells and an easy to hold, non-rolling body? :)

we will see...