• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Ti PD-S or Lunasol 20 vs Novatac 120p?

brucec

Enlightened
Hi,
I do not yet own a McGizmo, but they seem to be drawing me in. I was wondering if anyone has done a direct comparison with a standard Novatac 120p? At first glance, it seems like the new Lunasol 20 is a bit low on overall output. I think the PD-S is higher output, but is it still short of the Novatac? How about runtimes? Thanks in advance.

Bruce

Joseph Milton

Enlightened
I have had all 3 lights, and I have sold the Novatac and the Lunasol 20. I kept the Lunasol 27 and the 27PD. I also have a PD-S. My favorite light is the 27PD, of which there are two for sale in the B/S/T area. Reason being, the 27 head. For me, it is much easier to hold and use one-handed. And the light output is better (IMHO) with the 27 PD than the LS models.

However, the LS models have a super nice low output flood, with a more tightly focussed beam for the high. If you like that soft flood for a low, the LunaSol is the choice.

Or do what I did, and buy them all, find out which ones work for you, and then tell yourself why you should just keep them all. Then try telling your wife. That is the kicker!

Joseph

brucec

Enlightened
I have had all 3 lights, and I have sold the Novatac and the Lunasol 20. I kept the Lunasol 27 and the 27PD. I also have a PD-S. My favorite light is the 27PD, of which there are two for sale in the B/S/T area. Reason being, the 27 head. For me, it is much easier to hold and use one-handed. And the light output is better (IMHO) with the 27 PD than the LS models.

However, the LS models have a super nice low output flood, with a more tightly focussed beam for the high. If you like that soft flood for a low, the LunaSol is the choice.

Or do what I did, and buy them all, find out which ones work for you, and then tell yourself why you should just keep them all. Then try telling your wife. That is the kicker!

Joseph

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I really like the idea of the low flood, but would like a high high. I also really like the PD concept, but am not satisfied with the Nitecore designs. What did you not like about the Novatac relative to the 27PD?

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing that I'd like to mention about the UI is this: if you were to drop the Novatac and the switch be activated, it would power on and stay on until you turned it off, whereas a PD system would only momentarily flash. IMO the PD system is the most reliable switching mechanism available on the market.

Also, the Novatac has two threaded junctions whereas the McGizmo has only one, and I'm not counting the bezel ring on either light. As far as I'm concerned, the simpler the better.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The best is to tryout the McGizmo oneself. Currently the LS20 wave is still on, get that light and try it out. I only have 2 of the designs and its a keeper. The PD-S and the Mule Ti-PD has been my edc of choice at the present moment. Words can't describe how useful these designs are......

Kiessling

Flashaholic
The LS20 has a lower high mode than the Novatac, but this is an active choice rather than a shortcoming as it offers about 2 hours runtime in high mode, which is very important for a lot of people (like the ones frequenting this forum :D ).

The kick with the LS20 though is the interface AND the low flood. It is a KISS interface whereas the Novatac is a multiclick UI that offers more options but requires a learning curve and consumes brain power.

IMHO the LS20 is the best allround lighting tool in existance right now.

BUT ... that is IMHO, and in this place, you'll get a lot of positive responses like mine here. :p

bernie

heckboy

Enlightened
I've got the LS20 and Novatac 120P.

I think you may have a case of the old math disease here: apples and oranges. At first I wanted to compare the two as well but IMHO they are completely different lights with completely different missions. If you look hard you may find one of the Milky modified L1 that begin to operate in the same general way as the LS20 and have similar brightness levels.

The thing that has sold me on the LS20 is the nice combination of the low soft pool of light along side a bright throw in the same package. Neither the Novatac nor the Milkys are going to yield this particular feature set in the way it's rendered in the LS20.

I still have my Novatac, and a Milky. I doubt that I ever sell them but the LS20 is becoming my favorite.

Later,
HB

Crash

Enlightened
half New Orleans, half Baton Rouge, Louisiana
High output is important in some instances and not in others. It is certainly fun to play with and to show off with. In real world actual use, maximum lumens on target is not always needed nor even desirable in some instances

The PD-S and the Novatac have similar beam patterns with tight center spots and decent spill coronas.

Don explains the theory of the LunaSol as two lights in one. The soft low beam flood is provided by the led's on the perimeter. The high beam by the center led. You are correct that the maximum output on both the PD-S and the Novatac are higher than the LunaSol 20. The difference is noticeable in side by side comparison. In use, I have not yet found need for greater output. The flood is useful in moving around the house at night when everyone is asleep. It is also very useful for changing a flat in the dark - more than a spot is. I did so and happened to have an updated HDS Ultimate and a new LunaSol 20. The tight beam was not as useful in that situation as the flood.

In the end, you have to define your own expectations from an EDC flashlight. Either of Don's lights made out of titanium are going to be more durable than the Novatac. The PD-S has a tight beam and lots of throw. The LunaSol has two separate beam paterns - both with usefully bright beams.

Have fun making your choice.

Crash

LightKnife

Newly Enlightened
I vote for the PD-S, if you don't want to committ to a LS20 and want to try see how it works then just get a Surefire A2 which is a great light they are selling at a discount at the BST. If it works for you then LS20 will do too.
Novatac 120p is just another animal, i wouldn't compare it to a McGs...

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beyond the numbers and mecahnical differences there is a certain quality about my PD-S that puts it above my Novatac. Also, for me it's as much about who is behind the light as it is the light itself. I like being able to contact the person who actually designed and put together my light. Even if you were not the original purchaser of the light Don would still take care of you if you had an issue. If a problem with my Novatac ever arose I could contact their customer service but I have read that it is hit and miss plus not being the original owner I might have a problem getting service. I have an early model Novatac and it works well but my PD-S has the edge even when simply holding it in my hand.

brucec

Enlightened
Wow, one international flight and so much great advice! I really like the concept of the LS20, but not at the expense of higher output. Yes, 80lumens vs 120lumens probably does not make that much of a difference in actual usage, but this is a titanium light after all. I doubt if I really need titanium vs aluminum.

So, I think I will try to pick up a PD-S somewhere. I think the PD-S is up to par on output, right? Thanks.

PoliceScannerMan,
I grew up in Gainesville, so Go Gators!

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhon
Wow, one international flight and so much great advice! I really like the concept of the LS20, but not at the expense of higher output. Yes, 80lumens vs 120lumens probably does not make that much of a difference in actual usage, but this is a titanium light after all. I doubt if I really need titanium vs aluminum.

So, I think I will try to pick up a PD-S somewhere. I think the PD-S is up to par on output, right? Thanks.

PoliceScannerMan,
I grew up in Gainesville, so Go Gators!

the pd-s is also 80 lumens, they arent designed to be screaming bright, they are designed as tools, and damn it if they arent extremely effective ones. with really good runtimes.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you see a PD-S keep in mind that Don made PD-S mizers as well. The mizer option was lower drive levels for longer runtimes. High on a PD-S mizer is somewhere around 50 lumens and runtimes on high are about 3 hours on a primary and 2 hours on a RCR123. I think low was 40+ hours at around 5 lumens IIRC.

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhon
If you see a PD-S keep in mind that Don made PD-S mizers as well. The mizer option was lower drive levels for longer runtimes. High on a PD-S mizer is somewhere around 50 lumens and runtimes on high are about 3 hours on a primary and 2 hours on a RCR123. I think low was 40+ hours at around 5 lumens IIRC.

hmm, so that means that the mizer option only effects the high drive, i thought it did both.