Lexan and pyrex window?

Zen|th

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys, I just wanted to know what are the pros and cons about the two? Will one last longer than the other? Will one break faster? Im not too sure about this..

Niconical

Enlightened
Lexan is more likely to scratch than pyrex.
Lexan is less likely to break on impact than pyrex.

Pyrex is less likely to scratch than lexan.
Pyrex is more likely to break on impact than lexan.

Also, pyrex is more resistant to high temperature than lexan.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Very short and simplified:
Lexan scratches, but does not break.
Pyrex does not scratch, but can break.

Pyrex is also more transparent than lexan.

Zen|th

Newly Enlightened
So if u had a choice, which would u choose? Because i am waiting for the release of the P61L. I am planning on buying a G3 Led and install the P61L in.. will the lexan window be able to take the heat?

HKJ

Flashaholic
So if u had a choice, which would u choose? Because i am waiting for the release of the P61L. I am planning on buying a G3 Led and install the P61L in.. will the lexan window be able to take the heat?

Heat is usual not a problem with leds, only with high power incan.
I prefer glass/pyrex on my lights, due to the better light transmission and scratch resistance.

Size15's

Flashaholic
For LED use I would take Lexan over Pyrex because Lexan will never break. I don't care about the likelihood of scratching it - that's wear and tear. I'd take durability any day.
If SureFire decide to work on a P61L High Output LED Lamp Assembly it will not generate anything like the heat out the front like a P61 or other High Output incandescent Lamp Assembly does. The whole point is that LEDs waste significantly less battery juice generating heat rather than visible light output compared to incandescents.

HKJ

Flashaholic
So I guess a G3 LED with a lexan window is equipped with a P61L it shouldnt be a problem right?

Not with the front glass, but the heat generated by the led might be a problem for a plastic head (The led might cook itself), your need a G3L with metal head!

Size15's

Flashaholic
The G3 (incandescent) has a Nitrolon bezel with Pyrex window.

The G3L (P60L LED) has an aluminium bezel with a Lexan window.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Just to clarify, Lexan = UCL and Pyrex = Borofloat?
Nope.

Lexan is a registered trademark for SABIC Innovative Plastics' (formerly General Electric (GE) Plastics) brand of highly durable polycarbonate resin thermoplastic.

Pyrex is a brand name for Corning Incorporated. It is borosilicate glass
In sheet glass (rather than kitchen glassware) Pyrex is made from thermal shock resistant borosilicate glass. It can also be tempered (toughened).

UCL is a type of glass lens that has been created to be Ultra-Clear. In addition to the special make up of the glass used, it is coated on both faces with Anti-Reflective coatings with the overall aim to achieve maximum light transmissivity.

BoroFloat is a brand name for Schott. It is a borosilicate glass with similar properties to Pyrex and appears to be generally less expensive.

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic
Im sorry but what do you mean by 'old'? I thought G3Ls were new models which were only introduced this year? All equipped with aluminium heads.

The first led models was a G2 or G3 with a P60L module in, I believe that a G2L (made this was) was sold, but I do not know if a G3L was sold (Size 15 can answer that).
The P60L as a temperature control, preventing it from frying itself in the G2/G3, instead it has longer runtime, due to the throttled down output (Compared to 6P/9P).

Size15's

Flashaholic
If one was to compare the output/runtime chart for a G2L vs 6PL, or a G3L vs 9PL then I believe there would not be that much difference between them. The aluminium bezel makes quite a bit of difference.

Zen|th

Newly Enlightened
If one was to compare the output/runtime chart for a G2L vs 6PL, or a G3L vs 9PL then I believe there would not be that much difference between them. The aluminium bezel makes quite a bit of difference.

So i guess the next light i will be getting is the G3L with the aluminium head with a P61L drop in... (if it ever comes out) :D