Need a floody <$60 light

Xyrium

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,

I've been doing a lot of reading, and it seems most of the CP peeps here love throwers. However, I am in need of a good general use light. Something with 2-3 modes, can tail stand, and run on either AA or 18650s. If it has two or three modes, I'd love one mode to maintain 50-60l for about 6-8 hours if possible.

I noticed the Inova T1 thread here: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/190838&highlight=Inova+T1 and that light looks almost exactly like what I'm seeking from a beam pattern, brightness level, and quality (is it really made in the US?), but it doesn't tailstand.

If we can keep it under $60, that would be fantastic. I'm looking for a keeper here. So, though the TR-801 might be good, I'd rather not take my chances on poor quality control. I have a pair of C3s from DX, and they needed some TLC to get working well.

Obviously Fenix and Eagle Tac are in the running, but I haven't noticed any beamshots that look as good as the Inova thus far... I'd love a P10A2, but the beamshots don't appear to be as floody (yet defined) as I'd like.

EDIT: IF AA, then it should probably use two AAs. I'm seeking decent runtime. If it can do 50-60l for 6-8 hours on one AA, then we're fine though. Also, a natural tint like the Inova T1 would be very nice as well.

Sorry for the long post. I wanted to get as much detail out there as possible!

Paul

Last edited:

JBorneu

Enlightened
Maybe take a look at what Zebralight has to offer? They're headlamps, but you can use them in all sorts of positions, and their beam is pure flood. Check them out. For indoor general use a headlamp has many advantages, and if youo don't like headlamps, take it out of it's holder and nobody has to know it's a headlamp.

Stillphoto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah Zebralight has some good stuff that might work for you.

I suppose you could always find a light that meets all of your requirements except the floody beam, and then just open it up and remove the reflector. Instant reading/flood light.

Xyrium

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys. I did check out the Zebras. Nice lights. I don't think they can act as a candle though (tailstand) during a power outage to light a room without placing something on each side to keep them from rolling.

Still, a good option, thank you!

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
my nightcore D10s beam is about 6 feet in diameter at 6 feet from wall. id call it a

'good general lighting applicant'

not a thrower like some and not discharged and useless after 50 minuets (like others)

runs for a long time on any single aa battery, infinitely adjustable output (very low to very high),

and tailstands.

bout $60 shipped i think?

get 1,

if you dont like it ill buy it from you :)

Xyrium

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Waddup. I saw a few reviews of the Nitecores. They seem positive, though the UI seems like a pain. However, I like the shape, tailstand ability, and have added it to my list!

EDIT: just watched a youtube video on it. It's stupid simple. I like it. Thanks for the reco!

Last edited:

Light Sabre

Enlightened
Whenever I want a floody beam I use some frosted clear vinyl contact paper material and place it on the inside of the lens. Got the idea from TerraLux's TLE-6 upgrade kit. It had a frosted lens in it to smooth out the batwing beam pattern. I stick the lens to the frosted vinyl material, use the lens as a template and cut the vinyl with an X-acto knife. When I reinsert the lens I put the vinyl on the inside so that it doesn't get damaged. If the lens is not removeable then I find an object that's the same size as the lens (gonna get some flatwashers, come in many sizes), cut it out then place it on the outside of the lens. Either way, it works on any flashlight. Easily removeable if you don't need it any more. Gets rid of some really nasty artifacts or rings in a beam. Cuts down your throw, but makes for a fantastic wide beam for closeup or indoor use. Have done this on about a half dozen flashlights. Works like a charm.

Xyrium

Newly Enlightened
I could also stand for a light that provides a really high spill-spot ratio, with a wide spill as well. Maybe this just means flood though. I've read that the EagleTacs have a seriously bright and wide spill. So, maybe my first inclination is actually the answer...

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
I don't think they can act as a candle though (tailstand) during a power outage to light a room without placing something on each side to keep them from rolling.

There are several ways that you can EASILY make a zebralight shoot the ceiling as a candle using the included accessories.

1) The anti glare shield can be placed on the tailcap to prevent it from rolling and allow you to aim it where you want it

2) The pocket clip can be used to to accomplish the same thing

3) The spare headlamp mount will do the same as pictured here:

H60_1_small.jpg

Toaster

Enlightened
Getting 50-60l for 6-8 hours on a single AA battery isn't gonna happen. On the 2xAA lights any of the slim EDC types with a small head will produce a floody beam so take your pick. However I'd just like to point out even though they may tail stand, don't expect them to be too stable. Tall and skinny just doesn't work too well in that regard.

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Inova T1 is one of the floodiest lights I own. If you don't mind buying CR123's for it, it's a winner.

4 hours of light on a set of batteries, too. :popcorn:

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really, Made in USA leaves you with Streamlight, Pelican, Surefire, HDS, Inova, Peak...

Half of those manufacturers start at $60 for a light.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
If its bright enough for you, the Fenix E20 can give you some very nice flood.

Xyrium

Newly Enlightened
Wow, I formatted a long reply to all and it didn't post. Odd.

I agree that AAs won't balance outside of a tall glass. I'm also seeking dual AAs if I get such a powered light. Good points!

The L2D seems to outshine and overspill the E20. So, thanks for the reco. Fenix is still on the list because of that. :)

I love the output color and flood of theT1. Might be useful if it was just a touch brighter, but it's very nice indeed!

I'll definitely check out the X5. Hopefully still within budget. Thanks!

Last edited:

Xyrium

Newly Enlightened
Wow, did anyone see the specs n the H60? I knew you guys would make me go over budget!:mad:

There are several ways that you can EASILY make a zebralight shoot the ceiling as a candle using the included accessories.

1) The anti glare shield can be placed on the tailcap to prevent it from rolling and allow you to aim it where you want it

2) The pocket clip can be used to to accomplish the same thing

3) The spare headlamp mount will do the same as pictured here:

H60_1_small.jpg

HitecDrftr

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,

I've been doing a lot of reading, and it seems most of the CP peeps here love throwers. However, I am in need of a good general use light. Something with 2-3 modes, can tail stand, and run on either AA or 18650s. If it has two or three modes, I'd love one mode to maintain 50-60l for about 6-8 hours if possible.

If we can keep it under $60, that would be fantastic. I'm looking for a keeper here. So, though the TR-801 might be good, I'd rather not take my chances on poor quality control. I have a pair of C3s from DX, and they needed some TLC to get working well.

Obviously Fenix and Eagle Tac are in the running, but I haven't noticed any beamshots that look as good as the Inova thus far... I'd love a P10A2, but the beamshots don't appear to be as floody (yet defined) as I'd like.

EDIT: IF AA, then it should probably use two AAs. I'm seeking decent runtime. If it can do 50-60l for 6-8 hours on one AA, then we're fine though. Also, a natural tint like the Inova T1 would be very nice as well.

Sorry for the long post. I wanted to get as much detail out there as possible!

Paul

If you can do without 2 modes and the use of 18650's, I'd look at the Duracell Daylite (Either 80 or 160 lumens models) Best flooders I have seen. (The CR123 version may take 18650's though, that has not been determined)

The 80 lumens (2AA) was tested by mattchase and according to him, appears to have run for about 4 hours at 80 lumens:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/212583

Check out the flood of the 160 lumens (2xCR123) here:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/212205

or Here:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/212987

I am the largest advocate for the Daylite on this forum from what I can see. (I have both models) These models are relatively new to the market, and the 160 lumens model is relatively difficult to get. (Only a few places on the internet carry them.)

Here are some facts about the Daylites

Duracell Daylite 2AA & 2XCR123
Regulated Circuits-
Good run times
BRIGHT! 80 Lumens or 160 Lumens
Water Resistant
Lifetime GUARANTEE
http://www.duracell.com/products/guarantee.asp
Less than $25.00 (2AA) (CR123 version can be had for about $40.00)
2AA -7" long CR123- 5" long
Reverse clicky
Can tail stand
Reputable company- Can be trusted
2AA Available at Walmart- Buy it and try it same day and if you don't like it, take it back.
Nice Looking
Sturdy anodized aluminum.
Come with batteries
For throwing in your car, protect the window inexpensively- Cut out the threads of a gallon milk jug cap- fits great!
(Different colored milk jug caps make nifty filters too!)
Window%20Cap.jpg

-Hitec-

Last edited:

The Sun

Enlightened
Hi All,

I am in need of a good general use light. Something with 2-3 modes, can tail stand, and run on either AA or 18650s. If it has two or three modes, I'd love one mode to maintain 50-60l for about 6-8 hours if possible.

Paul

i've got beamshots up for the EagleTac T10C2, and Fenix TK10 up on my "roundup." the T10C2 will have the same beam pattern, as the P10A2, or T10CL, as well as the same output. i will have some more outdoor photo's up tonight (hopefully) of the T10C2...check it out. IMO it sounds like one of the EagleTac's are the way to go for you. i love them and their quality is top-notch!!!:twothumbs

Xyrium

Newly Enlightened
Thanksw Hitec and The Sun. The Duracell sounds like a nice light to bat around the house. Something like the various Ultrafires without having to order it and wait three weeks from DX. I'll check it out at one of the Walmarts for sure. Thanks!

I read a few reviews on the EagleTacs from you and I believe, outdoorfanatic, as well as Selfbuilt. They seem to have insane output, and that low mode seems perfect. From what I've read, they have a bright spill beam, so they were actually on the top of my list with the Fenix L2D/LD20. So, when are you going to add them to your profile? :)

Now I'm going to search for reviews on the D10/20. I hope to make a decision today so my Xmas present to myself arrives in time for the holiday. :)

Paul