Got an old IBM Thinkpad, but don't like the feel of the button mouse

LaserFreak

Enlightened
Does anyone know if I can change this sandpaper-like button mouse to a smoother button?

StarHalo

Flashaholic
If it's just the surface of the button itself, you can of course buff it down with a Dremel or something similar, but in any case, you can always use a standard external mouse/trackball/pointpad.

LaserFreak

Enlightened
If it's just the surface of the button itself, you can of course buff it down with a Dremel or something similar, but in any case, you can always use a standard external mouse/trackball/pointpad.

Yeah...it's just the surface. It really bugs. It's the only reason I've liked the touchpad mice versus this type. I tried turning it inside out but that didn't work out too well.

As far as using an external mouse, I really don't want to buy one, even though they're cheap. Less stuff to carry around, ya know? I was actually just wondering if anyone knew of an older laptop with this style mouse direction control that had a smooth surface rather than a rough one. Or maybe someone out there is a little more clever than myself and can think of something to use in place of it...besides an external mouse.

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a thinkpad with the small rubber pointer. it you use it enough, it will get worn smooth. The reason it is rough is so your finger does not slide off it. If your finger tip is wet, damp, oily. or anything like that. moving the pointer around is difficult.

The sand is on the surface, take some sandpaper and smooth it over

Wattnot

Enlightened
You can get used to it. I did and I ended up liking it better than the touchpad.

PM me if you want out of it. I like those older ThinkPads.