a new guy wants a flashlight to match his needs

BAK777

Newly Enlightened
Hi, my username is Brucek, and I am ideally looking for a rechargeable flashlight with apx. 1000 lumens or better and a hot spot and corona no bigger than 4ft dia. at 100ft. with extreamly little spill.Or at least thats my best guess,you see Im new to your world of flashlights and I have only my soon to be returned Streamlight Ultrastinger flashlight to base my opinions on, as well as reading some of your forms.The Ultrastingers spill gets in the windows of the neighbors condos when check out the surrounding area in the morning prior to my mother and her neighbor going to their cars (some of the people around here dont use the curtains, maybe its because they have plants by their windows I dont know) anyway thats the only reason that I dont want the spill.As far as the lumens go the Ultrastinger has a advertised 290 I think,and im guessing that three times that would be about right for me for shinning under cars as well as shinning from one end of the parking lot to the other end .Although I only use the flashlight for apx. 20 min of shine time, I like the idea of not buying batteries.As to the 4ft dia. at 100ft with no spill, that to is a window consideration.It would also be nice to not have to worry about someone else using it ( who would be unaware of the heat)and starting a fire.I can put warning labels on it to take care of that as well as warning labels for some batteries that might catch fire if left in a hot car.My budget? 200 usd .I"ll wrap this up by saying ANY and ALL suggestions and directions,as well as questions will be gladly received.Thank you for taking the time to read this and I hope to find my way back to the suggestions that you'll surely respond with.(computers and me are just getting acquainted) HAVE A WONDERFUL NIGHT!

Last edited:

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL nice light you're looking for there. I call it a White Laser. Someone here will know just the light. My suggestion? An infrared emitter and a pair of Night Vision Goggles.

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
1000 lumens and no spill for 200usd?

Realistically, the closest thing I can think of would be some sort of 1185 mag setup running on rechargeable cells. If you don't want spill, just take a magazine and wrap it around the bezel when you're aiming outside.

For ten times your budget you can get a maxabeam, a rechargeable spotlight rated at 1000lumens with an incredibly collimated beam with almost no spill...

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
thinking a ROP mod with aspheric lens to minimise spill or a Terralux drop in with the aspheric lens. wouldnt be 1000 lumens but would be bright enough i think

roadie

Enlightened
huh ??? :eek:

sometimes one can dream but has to be realistic ..... :duh2:

how abt a laser ? no spill ....... :thinking:

BAK777

Newly Enlightened
LOL nice light you're looking for there. I call it a White Laser. Someone here will know just the light. My suggestion? An infrared emitter and a pair of Night Vision Goggles.

Thanks for taking the time to read and reply.A quick google search puts the cheapest Night Vision Goggles at apx.269.00 dollars,I did'nt check on the infrared emitter, but the cost of the flashlight and the other two would put me way over budget plus I think in my situation it really is better to be very visible(you know, police making their unexpected rounds,other gun carrying good guys that I might just startle,that sort of thing.)Kidding aside,thanks.

BAK777

Newly Enlightened

Realistically, the closest thing I can think of would be some sort of 1185 mag setup running on rechargeable cells. If you don't want spill, just take a magazine and wrap it around the bezel when you're aiming outside.

For ten times your budget you can get a maxabeam, a rechargeable spotlight rated at 1000lumens with an incredibly collimated beam with almost no spill...

Thanks I'll check that out (The 1185 mag that is.)The magazine wrap is something that I thought would work so I tried it out in my basement at 20feet distance and it did work well enough but a e-mail to a flashlight buider/modifier told me that it would'nt,I figured that maybe he tried it at a longer distance and it either did'nt work satisfactory or that my understanding of the term SPILL was unclear. Either of which was probably the case I thought.Anyhow, I wanted to get a flashlight more job specific and as I can now tell is'nt going to happen in my original 200$ budget.Thats O.K.,because I can change the budget to what ever I want(a perk of not being married.)But I think as nice as having a flashlight that would fit the bill (maxabeam) would be,and although I can make the budget what ever I want(Im the only one that im responsible for and I can find the Homeless shelters in the yellow pages.)I think that for NOW, 10 times my budget (10x200=2000$) would be unjustifiable for me,that is unless the maxabeam is also edible,but i'll guess no,cause I think you would have mentioned it.Anyways thanks for giving me a heads up on what my ideal flashlight might be and what it will cost.Thanks for reading and replying with some usable information,i'll try the cover idea again.

Last edited:

BAK777

Newly Enlightened
thinking a ROP mod with aspheric lens to minimise spill or a Terralux drop in with the aspheric lens. wouldnt be 1000 lumens but would be bright enough i think

Thank you for reading and replying.Looks kinda involved and complicated for a new guy like myself to put together.Maybe I can buy one.(used would be ok,I think?)But it does give me something to use if I cant find something off the shelf.Thanks

Last edited:

BAK777

Newly Enlightened
huh ??? :eek:

sometimes one can dream but has to be realistic ..... :duh2:

how abt a laser ? no spill ....... :thinking:

Dreaming can be very nice but thats not what I was doing, I used the word ideally.As to being realistic,well that implies a reasonable amount of knowledge of the subject.I made it clear that I did'nt have that much knowledge of flashlights.Oh yea,I did state that any suggestions,directions and questions would be gladly received, (Im gonna hafta watch that next time)thank you for ALL your experience.

Gary123

Enlightened
It's nowhere near 1000 lumens, but this may be what you're looking for.

Yes, this would match your description. And I believe the diameter of the lens on this light is 5 or 6 inches. It is not a small light. I have been on the list to purchase one of these for a while now. I believe that only an aspheric could meet your requirements. Whether by design or not, all reflectored lights I know of generate a good amount of spill.

I also suspect you don't appreciate how bright a tightly focused beam would be even from a flashlight with only 200 lumens. If all the cororna and spill of a 200 lumen light were to be focused into a tight spot, that spot would be searing bright. I have an aspheric which outputs maybe 180 lumens by TnC (c. $325) and puts a 4 foot spot at about 100 feet and it is one hell of a bright spot.

But if you get an aspheric, you need to know that is a good one, built by someone who knows what they are doing. These are unique creations with very specific design requirements. Only a few around here have done a fine job making them and Saabluster is one of these.

It also strikes me that you might be satisfied with a light like the Dereelight MRV. It outputs a little over 200 lumens, has a very small intense hotspot where most of the light is focused, has very dim spill and is priced under $200 (I think?).

Last edited:

fixitman

Newly Enlightened
as an inexpensive alternative, and a good way to find out if you truly need a really expensive light... Try the husky 4 watt 2D cell light from Home Depot. Its about $25.
Its about 200 lumens, but very tightly focused. Mine throws about a 12 foot diameter spot at 180 feet. It does have some spill, but its not alot, and putting some kind of tube around the head should eliminate most of that.

How do I know how mine has a 12 foot spot at 180 feet? I just measured it. There is a 12 foot tall wall across from my house, and its 180 feet from my door to the wall.
For me, the Husky is too tightly focused, I would be happier with a 12 foot spot at 100 feet or so.

Hope that helps a bit.

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try look at the "MaxaBeam" and the price is $2000.00 not $200.00.
You can look here for beam shot.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/199795

Hi, my username is Brucek, and I am ideally looking for a rechargeable flashlight with apx. 1000 lumens or better and a hot spot and corona no bigger than 4ft dia. at 100ft. with extreamly little spill..My budget? 200 usd

chew socks

Newly Enlightened

You might have to worry about the magazine catching on fire with extended use.

Try looking at DEFT.

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
as an inexpensive alternative, and a good way to find out if you truly need a really expensive light... Try the husky 4 watt 2D cell light from Home Depot. Its about $25.
Its about 200 lumens, but very tightly focused. Mine throws about a 12 foot diameter spot at 180 feet. It does have some spill, but its not alot, and putting some kind of tube around the head should eliminate most of that.

How do I know how mine has a 12 foot spot at 180 feet? I just measured it. There is a 12 foot tall wall across from my house, and its 180 feet from my door to the wall.
For me, the Husky is too tightly focused, I would be happier with a 12 foot spot at 100 feet or so.

Hope that helps a bit.

or 3watt husky spotlight, $20, rechargeable, 100lumen in a tight spot

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I don't think you need 1000 lumen. Lumen is only the total amount of light. A 1 lumen laser can throw more then a 1000 lumen lamp, what you are looking for are higher lux numbers(more throw).

Try a light with a lens, like an aspheric lens maglite with a current gen high power LED. If you just want to try to see if a lens light with fit, you can try this. Cheap, lens, and good output but might not last that long and runtime is probably short with alkaline batteries. The low price might make it a good light to try and see if a light with a lens will work for you. Shipping takes a few weeks though.

:welcome:

roadie

Enlightened
well, looks like u need to save more and more money.

welcome to CPF where the place sliently burns a hole in the pocket. :O

i think i jus saw what u need ... $150 ++ without batteries ...

try this (cree mc-e) or this , battery = get AW 18650 :twothumbs