Custom Malkoff 2x P7 LED Drop In for Streamlight SL20X

Dennis

Newly Enlightened
Already having many Malkoff Devices, I REALLY wanted something to revitalize my old Patrol Streamlight so I emailed Gene and asked him what it would take to get him to make some LED drop-ins for me and my partners. Of course, Gene immediately returned my email and made an offer on his Triple Drop In which I immediately accepted. Then the next day he called me and said "Hey, I got some new P7 reflectors in, would you like to try those instead?". Again, I immediately accepted and we went back and forth over the next few days as Gene experimented and confirmed my continual acceptance of his ideas.

What I ended up with were some beautiful Double P7 Drop Ins that are SUPER DUPER FLOODY. Gene says these are running about 900 lumens and from what I can tell from a lux-meter-ceiling-bounce-test they putting out at least as many lumens as my Triple Mag Drop In running on 4x LSD D NiMH batteries. However, these are a totally different animal and provide amazing amounts of flood and fully light up a room or any area. They are not for throw, although they light up a whole area very well for at least 35yds and of course still provide decent light out to 50Y and beyond. I have been appreciating my M60F and M60 with SF diffuser more and more for real world use, but this takes it a few extra levels above and beyond!

OK, enough talk. Here are some pics. Sorry I only had my man cave to work in since there is just too much light around my neighborhood.

My old Patrol light with just the right amount of "character"

Double Trouble

!!!Super Floody Double P7 in SL20X with 3500mAh NiMH battery!!!

OEM SL20X Bulb

M60F in 6P running on primaries

4D Mag Malkoff Triple running on 4 LSD NiMH D's

Pelican 7060 Duty Light I avoid using but not really that bad...

Surefire 10X for some incan goodness!

(All beamshots taken at 1/25, f4.0, 0.0 EV, ISO 800 )

Runtime tests result in about 1.25 hours of full brightness with the 3500mAh battery.

More practical usage info to follow as I think of it. But most importantly...

[size=+2]THANKS GENE! YOU ROCK![/size]

Dennis.

Last edited:

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW. I wonder what a triple Cree XRE's in the SL20X would look like? I have one that I use on patrol and could use a revitalization as well.

gsegelk

Newly Enlightened
:sweat: :drool: :bow: Wow that's really nice!! Looks like I need to send an email tomorrow to see how I can get a hold of one of these...I don't guess yours will be showing up on the B/S/T forum would it :popcorn:?!? :laughing:

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
:sweat: :drool: :bow: Wow that's really nice!! Looks like I need to send an email tomorrow to see how I can get a hold of one of these...I don't guess yours will be showing up on the B/S/T forum would it :popcorn:?!? :laughing:
Why wait, send an email now. I sent one right after I saw this thread.

thevainone

Newly Enlightened
holy crap!:twothumbs how much, if you dont mind me asking? im waiting for a p7 6p drop in, i dont like to carry a light that big on the belt

Policetacteam

Enlightened
I have been waiting the Gene's SL-20X drop-in since they were first talked about! That is awesome! I need that immediately!!! Very cool!!!!! :twothumbs

txgp17

Enlightened
anim_wow.gif

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Need to know the current draw from the batteries and what the battery normal under load voltage would be for those of us not familiar with that light's battery pack type.

Dennis

Newly Enlightened
I'll have to measure the draw and voltage when I get a chance, but the runtime is a bit over 1.25 hours at full output with a 3500mAh (5 x 1/2 D) battery. I believe Gene said it draws about 3A so that would be close.

The lower bezel/head of the SL20X got to about 107 degrees (measured with cheap IR thermo) during my runtime tests, but surprisingly the lens stayed cool to the touch. Must be some great heatsinking going on! Of course the barrel of the light stayed cool as well since there is a lot of aluminum to dissipate heat.

Battery Pack 5 x 1/2 D's. The OEM pack is only like a 2200mAh NiCD.
http://www.batteryjunction.com/streamlight-fb-5h1.html

Just as a reminder to everyone before they get too excited, this is [size=+1]NOT A THROWER[/size]. It is a [size=+1]SUPER FLOODY LIGHT[/size] that is incredible for indoor work and urban confined outdoors. I think it actually works better than my throwers on tinted windows since it makes a more even, but softer, flood across the inside of the car instead of a roving spot, but that is just my opinion.

I'm pretty happy though!

Dennis.

Last edited:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I just got off the phone with Gene and he said he has about 10 P7/P60 drop-ins available. They are unregulated, but he said at least they have reverse polarity.:thumbsup::thumbsup::twothumbs

I already had one, but I need another one for my pentagon px1.

If anyone needs the one in this review call the man and ask, he will be happy to make more.

Policetacteam

Enlightened
I have sent Gene an e-mail but no response. This isn't the first time. I seem to have bad luck on getting a response to my e-mails. I will try reaching him by phone.

Policetacteam

Enlightened
Got a reply from Gene today. The SL-20X is not available yet and is "a work in progress". Hopefully he will get the kinks worked out and it will be available to the masses very soon!!! As it stands I'm loving what I'm seeing in those pictures. I would be happy as is but we will see what the future will hold for the SL-20X.