Reducing glare/reflections in photos?

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Calling all photography experts! Do you know of any sources for polarizing filters for digital cameras, specifically the Olympus C7000 ("old" zoom camera with retracting lens)?

I'm looking to take photos of framed "artwork," and need to reduce or better yet eliminate, glare and reflections. Google searches indicate that polarizing filters are used for this purpose, but it seems that no-one makes filters for this camera. I even called Olympus, and the rep said they don't make any, and don't know if anyone does.

I would have thought that there might be rubberized, slip-on type filters, but I guess not? One or two websites seem to offer some, but as far as I can tell, they won't fit my camera.

Any other ideas/ways for reducing/eliminating glare and reflections (besides breaking the glass...sigh)? Thank for any feedback.

paulr

Flashaholic
The main thing is to light the picture from a low angle, so the reflection bounces off obliquely and doesn't go into the camera lens. Polarizer can help but not all that much. It helps more if you put polarizing film over your lamps as well as over the lens. You can probably find some kind of adapter that lets you put filters over the lens.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Hopefully you're not using your camera's flash.
And if you are, an easy way to make a "diffuser" is to put a piece of white paper in front of the flash (not touching, but close). That smooths out the "flash" and gets rid of the reflections.

If you have a large flash, try bouncing the flash off the ceiling or a wall.