Scorpion in UV

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Made it out to the shack for some R&R- Feed the Roorat, catch a couple lizards, and murder some scorpions /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif :
site1033.jpg

Larry

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
What kind of UV flashlight do you use? I was thinking of buying one.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
nice pic larry!

boy...i can't wait for those nichia 2w uv's to come out!

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Wolfen- Light is a converted X5 with some diodes I got from Marlin P Jones.

Craig- Lizards are people and Kangaroo rats are too cool- eat outta your hand. Scorpions do rate "yucky!" (kill! kill! kill!)

I'd sure like to get my hands on a Nichia 2W critter too! (Then I can fry 'em with the light used to find 'em /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

Larry

paulr

Flashaholic
Nichia is coming out with 2W UV leds? From a techie point of view, wow!! However it makes me cringe a little that 2W UV flashlights may appear on the retail market when the leds become available. I can't help thinking there will be a lot of eye injuries as a result. I'm sure you are all aware, but please folks anyway, be careful with those things.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
tvodrd said:
Craig- Lizards are people and Kangaroo rats are too cool- eat outta your hand. Scorpions do rate "yucky!" (kill! kill! kill!)

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't know that lizards were people too. oops!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif
I've got a couple of domestic houserats here, but no kangaroo rats.

As far as "yucky creatures", we don't have scorpions or big hairy spiders here. No grasshoppers, katydids, crickets, cicadas, monarch butterflies, luna moths, or other cool critters except for dragonflies here either. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Craig, Meet Chuck:
site1035.jpg

Chuck is an adult, male Sauromalus obesus (Chuckwalla). They are rock crevice dwellers and herbivorous (except for fingers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ). He was a "catch for the weekend, and release." (Got a nice Desert Iguana too.)

Larry

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
wow...chuck looks really laid back!
"you can take a picture, but just remember to put me down gently afterwards..." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

thomas - nasty! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif i can't believe you didn't kill that abomonation! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
Rothrandir said:
thomas - nasty! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif i can't believe you didn't kill that abomonation! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Awwww...that's just a little spidey...
If that little spidey is too much, maybe Thomas ought to keep it in a fishtank and feed it flies a couple of times a week or so or catch it in a dixie cup and throw it outside rather than squishing it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
tvodrd said:
Chuck is an adult, male Sauromalus obesus (Chuckwalla). They are rock crevice dwellers and herbivorous (except for fingers ). He was a "catch for the weekend, and release." (Got a nice Desert Iguana too.)

[/ QUOTE ]

That's some lizard alright!!!
Sorry about the fingers though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif
Does Chuck glow under long UVA, such as output by UV LEDs? Or just the yucky scorpion?

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
sure...they're just little spidy's...until they crawl up your nose and eat your brain! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Tomas

Banned
Naw, Rothrandir, Freddie is a well behaved little fella. He doesn't make any webs or anything, he's a hunter/killer and helps keep any other crawlies out of the place.

He does need a bit of housekeeping training, though. Occasionally he leaves an empty shell laying about.

He's been really good about not bringing any of his lady friends in, though. they like to build webs and nests and such, and we already had a long talk about that not being allowed!

I have one head-on macro shot of Freddy - I'll see if I can find it.

tomsig03.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
each to his own i suppose... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
but i must warn you...spiders are extremely jealous...if he so much sees another spider hanging from one of your flashlights, he's likely to take the nasal route...

larry, does chuck like spideys? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
[ QUOTE ]

Does Chuck glow under long UVA, such as output by UV LEDs? Or just the yucky scorpion?

[/ QUOTE ]

Many years ago I kept lizards in a large terrarium(sp)(Except for the damn Tokay geckos, which were always escaping- they can run up and down plate glass! And they bark rather loudly at night!) I got a 4' fluorescent fixture and black light lamp. Nada /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
(Anybody doesn't believe it should Google "Gecko gecko" first /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif .)

Larry

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Spiders have a bunch of eyes on the front of their cephalothorax, not just two in the head like us. So he might see another spider on the flashlight before we would. Wouldn't that be a shame!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

And to think, this thread started as "Scorpion in UV". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
[ QUOTE ]
The LED Museum said:
And to think, this thread started as "Scorpion in UV". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
And I thought this was about a new bulb for the Scorpion(Stream Light that is). There is an eyefryer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif