Minimag-compatible MC-E parts?

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been out of the loop for a few months. I've done some searching, and can't find any threads mentioning optics for the MC-E that fit nicely into a Minimag head. If there is one, are there any sellers offering both bare MC-Es and the optics? I really want a 1kL Minimag. :candle:

Illum

Flashaholic
while you might be able to direct drive an MC-E with 2x14500s...I dunno what you can heatsink with.

MC-Es compared to LuxVs are two cups of brightness and same serving of heat... at spec

I'm actually thinking of XP-E mods:eek:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope to use the solid copper heatsink I got from mariposaoyako. Also, the MC-E should be (had better be!) more efficient as well as cooler than the LuxV.

Any Minimag-compatible MC-E optics out yet? There were a couple I remember from a while back that sounded like they might fit, but I don't know if they've been experimented with.

Hey Illum, are you Illum_the_nation with a name change?

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, no known Minimag-compatible MC-E optics? I can't possibly be the first CPFer planning an MC-E Minimag.

Al Combs

Enlightened
When you say optic I gather you meant TIR. There are a few of those, not sure about MiniMag size though. Since no one else answered, what about a reflector? I've heard good things about Ledil's Boom-MC-S. Their spot in the series has a FWHM of 10°. So it's not exactly a spot, but considering the small size. It's 22 mm in the front and 20.51 on the flats of the hex shape. It will fit unmodified in the MiniMag's bezel. But since it has almost no taper, you will have to shape it a little for it to fit the reflector housing.

I don't know for a fact it will work well with a MiniMag. But it looks like it might with very little work. Have you see this post? It points to a picture site with many beamshots, mostly MC-E. And it includes the Boom-MC-S.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
When you say optic I gather you meant TIR. There are a few of those, not sure about MiniMag size though. Since no one else answered, what about a reflector? I've heard good things about Ledil's Boom-MC-S. Their spot in the series has a FWHM of 10°. So it's not exactly a spot, but considering the small size. It's 22 mm in the front and 20.51 on the flats of the hex shape. It will fit unmodified in the MiniMag's bezel. But since it has almost no taper, you will have to shape it a little for it to fit the reflector housing.

I don't know for a fact it will work well with a MiniMag. But it looks like it might with very little work. Have you see this post? It points to a picture site with many beamshots, mostly MC-E. And it includes the Boom-MC-S.
Hmm, looks interesting. I have no preference between TIR or reflector; I just want it to work while not looking like crap. ;)

That boom reflector might work. The legs would definitely have to go, but other than that, I'd say it's a good candidate. Now for my next question... Where might I buy a couple of these, possibly along with a bare MC-E? :)

Al Combs

Enlightened
AFAIK, Cutter is the only place I've seen selling the reflectors. They also have an MC-E page.

Hmm, looks interesting. I have no preference between TIR or reflector; I just want it to work while not looking like crap. ;)

That boom reflector might work. The legs would definitely have to go, but other than that, I'd say it's a good candidate. Now for my next question... Where might I buy a couple of these, possibly along with a bare MC-E? :)

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got an MC-E, boom reflector, and some kind of optic from Cutter. Australia to CA will probably take a while, but I can wait. :)

Al Combs

Enlightened
An MC-E in a MiniMag sounds awesome. You'll have to send us some pics when you get it going.:popcorn:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
An MC-E in a MiniMag sounds awesome. You'll have to send us some pics when you get it going.:popcorn:
Will do. :)
MCE driven to spec will pull more than 3C from 14500s if thats what your getting at...doesn't sound too safe:eek:
:devil:

If I decide that 2x14500 (all I have is AW protected) is too much, I might buy a couple LifePO4 cells to try in it, which peak at 3.7V instead of 4.2V. Such a fancy Low mode, am I right? ;)

Al Combs

Enlightened
Where can I get 14500 LiFePO4's?
If I decide that 2x14500 (all I have is AW protected) is too much, I might buy a couple LifePO4 cells to try in it, which peak at 3.7V instead of 4.2V. Such a fancy Low mode, am I right? ;)

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where can I get 14500 LiFePO4's?
Some of the normal online places; GIYF -- DX had them, but is out of stock, e-lectronics.net has them. Those are both listed as 450mAh.

Walmart even has them now, in with the garden/landscape lighting, although they are only labeled 400mAh.

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Three month ago I wanted to built a MC-E Minimag too. But I droped the idea somehow. If you want to use an optic you could use the LM1 optics from Ledil (Brum sells them at the MP). I tried it on my own with a Terralux-Q5-dropin, and it fits perfectly into the MiniMag head. You just have to remove the optics holder. If you want to use a reflector you could use the McR-20-S reflector, which will fit into the MiniMag head with a little bit of sandpapering. Here is a beamshot of a MC-E in a McR-20-S reflector.

rayman

Al Combs

Enlightened
Thanks. I didn't know that.
Some of the normal online places; GIYF -- DX had them, but is out of stock, e-lectronics.net has them. Those are both listed as 450mAh.

Walmart even has them now, in with the garden/landscape lighting, although they are only labeled 400mAh.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, I even posted in that first linked thread... I swear I have a brain, really!

If the reflector and optic I ordered from Cutter don't work properly, I'll get an LM1 and a McR20S to try out. Thanks, rayman! :)

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cutter shipped today. Now I just have to wait for it to get here... from Australia. :ironic:

I think it'll be worth the wait. :devil:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
The order from Cutter arrived yesterday. Not too long of a wait. :)

I ordered a Boom-SS reflector and a Carclo 20mm Frosted Medium optic, which is 10195. The Boom would need some strategic shaving to fit in the Minimag head, but the Carclo fits easily and even has some wiggle room. I got a new Minimag today and just finished testing the fit of the components. I found that everything (mariposaoyako copper heatsink, bare MC-E, and 10195 optic) fits perfectly! All I have to do is grind out some of the lip of the heatsink (as mariposaoyako suggests for the MC-E) and possibly the little centering nub on the edge of the optic. The optic came in a holder, but by pulling at the edges of the holder and pressing lightly on the back of the optic, it popped right out, so I don't think I need the nub. That way, I can install the MC-E on the heatsink and just screw on the head, and the optic will center itself, since there's a a bit of wiggle room for it in the head.

So, my conclusions are that the Boom reflectors might fit with some machining, but the Carclo 20mm optics are a great fit. Feel free to use this thread to list more MC-E/Minimag parts.

Thanks for the input, everyone! :wave: