Maglite Rebel 3D

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did a search but could not find anything. Does anybody have the new Maglite 3D Rebel? I have become interested in this light after reading several posts about the 2D version being brighter than the Husky 2D. I was wondering how the three cell version compared to the Husky, and to the 2 cell model. I have seen the 3D Maglite in a few stores and may pick one up this weekend.

Mike

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was not aware that the 3D Rebel version had been released yet. Are you sure the one you saw was indeed a Rebel and not the older Lux III? You can tell by there being no mention of the replaceable bulb on the package-because it's not replaceable like the older incan and Lux III versions.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was not aware of that at the time, but I just looked at the LED. It looked just like 2D with a similar format serial number on the side. The LED was not removable. I think I saw it at Sears. I will pick one up if I see it this weekend.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
If Mag has done the same with the 3D as the 2D version you can probably spot the various differences as follows. If these are packaged like the 2D models the front of the page at the bottom right will not have an illustration showing bulb replacement. Also the 2D version has a serial number that starts "DL" instead of just with a "D" and they have a noticeably deeper reflector. You can also see the marking on and different shape of the Rebel LED.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spotted the 3D Rebel at my local Lowe's yesterday.

Edit: Absolutely certain of what it was. No mistakes.

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 3D rebels have been reported several times over in the original thread. I can confirm they are available at my Walmart, mixed with some old LuxIII 3Ds. They actually don't have the seemingly more common 2D Rebels, but they have 2D incans and LuxIII. Oh, and mixed 2AA Rebels (4-mode) and LuxIII (single-mode), too. Sorting through lights to get the right ones is always fun, yes?

So I picked up a 3D Rebel, a 2AA Rebel, and a 2D incan. A little part-swappage later, I have a 2D 4-mode Rebel, a 3D incan (with 2D bulb, but it's just a host), and a 1x14670 single-mode Rebel (with magnets to make up the 2AA length -- I may cut the tube down later).

thermal guy

Flashaholic
The 3D rebels have been reported several times over in the original thread. I can confirm they are available at my Walmart, mixed with some old LuxIII 3Ds. They actually don't have the seemingly more common 2D Rebels, but they have 2D incans and LuxIII. Oh, and mixed 2AA Rebels (4-mode) and LuxIII (single-mode), too. Sorting through lights to get the right ones is always fun, yes?

So I picked up a 3D Rebel, a 2AA Rebel, and a 2D incan. A little part-swappage later, I have a 2D 4-mode Rebel, a 3D incan (with 2D bulb, but it's just a host), and a 1x14670 single-mode Rebel (with magnets to make up the 2AA length -- I may cut the tube down later).

How did you make a 2D 4-mode Rebel:thinking:

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked one of these up at Sears today and will put it through the test this eve! It is most definitely the Rebel version. There is no spare bulb icon on the packaging and the LED was clearly visible!

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well...the testing is done and the verdict is in...the Husky is still a tad bit brighter overall. The Maglite may throw a liitle bit more, but if it does, it is not very noticable. The spill is real close too. I had to continually shine both lights on the same subject over and over to see any difference between the two lights. The beam on the Maglite is a lot cleaner, but this made little difference in my back yard. Overall, when I consider the proven reliability of Maglites, I would give this light a :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:!!

Mike

Fooboy

Enlightened
I saw a digital camo 3d rebel for $31 at a store near me :)

LED was 091 rebel.

ETA: Anyone know the 3d Runtime?

Last edited:

UMDTERPSFAN

Newly Enlightened
I noticed the 3D rebel has a greenish tint, while the 2D rebel has a whiter tint. Anyone else notice that?

GotDogs

Newly Enlightened
I just bought at Costco, 27.99 a 3D/2AA LED set. The serial# DL300029828= Rebel LED I find it to be crisp white/blueish tint. The 2AA I was impressed with as it is a multi-mode Hi / lo, strobe, SOS. I am pretty stoked that MagLite is finally looking FORWARD to a degree. One can only hope they will continue to do so.

John lovecpf

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have several 2D Rebels and the tint is a lottery. Some are blue/white, some are more green whilst others are somewhat pink.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
I kind of just forgotten about the 2D Rebel model I have lying around. Anybody know if Mag ever acknowledged the switch issue/poor contact and made improvements with these? Great light when it's fully illuminating, but I just don't trust it.

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
I have a 3D Mag Rebel, and like it very much. I am extremely impressed by its throw and brightness. I own two of the Husky 2D 4W "Tactical" flashlights, and the Mag Rebel easily out throws both of them. In fact, the Maglite easily equals my Dorcy 220 lumen in throw, which is incredible.

Last edited:

tomas21

Newly Enlightened
What is the best way to identify if the Costco Maglite combo has the rebel.

I have heard the packaging doesn't show the bulb in lower right and I also heard the LED 3D shows -091.

Can anyone confirm?

JamisonM

Enlightened
What is the best way to identify if the Costco Maglite combo has the rebel.

I have heard the packaging doesn't show the bulb in lower right and I also heard the LED 3D shows -091.

Can anyone confirm?
The easiest way is to look down the business end. The rebel and luxeon LEDs have a distinctive appearance. In the lower left corner, if you see that, it's a rebel.
3572606286_b9b762d2dd.jpg

tomas21

Newly Enlightened
Looks like I got the rebel. Do you have any pics of the luxeon or what the main difference is in appearance?

Thanks again