Got my first OLIGHT!

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's so cool - the Olight M20 Warrior with 2 18650 rechargeable batteries and charger. Looking forward to the dog walk in darkness tomorrow to try it out.

This is a lousy comparison test, but sitting at my desk at work I thought I'd look at the beams side-by-side. The first thing I notice is the 'purity' of the light from Olight - it has no 'hole' in the middle of the spot like the Target light. The spill seems larger on the Target light, but you really can't tell that much in a lit room with the lights shining on a desk drawer!! Please see below (these photos were taken with a camera phone - sorry for the lack of quality):
You can see the difference in size between the Olight and the Target light:
0511091517.jpg

Then the 'spot'- the Target seem just a bit brighter but it isn't as full a spot - I have a feeling that in the 'real world' in darkness this will translate into a much more usable light overall:
0511091517a.jpg

Then a question - I have a spare battery and it seems to have accommodations in the side of the holster.....can I damage the battery by carrying it in the open like this?
0511091548.jpg

Thanks all - I'll post real world darkness photos for comparison with a better camera later this week!

Over Sized Images Removed

Last edited:

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unless you're doing something really extreme the spare battery should be fine in the holster - just be sure to push it all of the way down. Enjoy!

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome: i am sure it wont be the last :)

nice flashlight/battery holster, does it came with the light?

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome: i am sure it wont be the last :)

nice flashlight/battery holster, does it came with the light?

The holster came with the light - along with a couple of O rings, a very nice lanyard and a metal ring that a neophyte like me is unsure of what it is for. I purchased the battery/charger pack separately.

And you are correct - it won't be the last! MORE POWER.....

:D

dagored

Enlightened
The black ring is to replace the flanged ring near the switch if you so desire.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Second day taking the dogs for a walk in the dark. I'm amazed at the beam this small light (Olight M20 Warrior Premium) puts out - and compared to my "Lifegear" light purchased from Target (has the same lumen rating), the beam is so much more defined. This light has the orange peel reflector - I'm considering the smooth reflector 'just because', but I like the spill and the 'smooth' spotlight that this thing puts out. On low it lights the sidewalk just fine - on medium it's really all I need, but on high I feel the need to grunt and shout, "More power!!"
:laughing:
Now, I am truly hooked. I simply must have more power!!! 4sevens and Battery Junction both have the new M30 in stock. I feel the pull.

3 times the brightness - I don't know if I'd be able to contain myself!

nohcho

Newly Enlightened
I'm considering the smooth reflector 'just because', but I like the spill and the 'smooth' spotlight that this thing puts out.

My experience with M20's smooth reflector, it does not make any difference as fa as throw goes, but beam is much uglier and you get a nasty donut hole in the hotspot. OP reflector on M20 is all you need. Mine was purchased from 4sevens by the way.

Last edited:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
So is this your first really good light? And yes get the M30 I love mine. If you think the M20 is bright wait untill you see the M30.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
The M30 puts out 3 times more Lumen than the M20, but is doesn't have 3 times the brightness for the eye! The hotspot is a lot larger, the spill is brighter, but for throw the M20 is still the winner!

I put the SMO in my M20 because I wanted a dedicated thrower in my collection. I agree that the OP is all you need, the beam is nicer, no ugly rings or donut holes. But, if you caught the virus too, get the SMO, you'll sleep better! :crazy:

Concerning the M30, read a few threads here, the light isn't bad, but needs improvements here and there. I'm fine with mine as a collection object, but at this stage I wouldn't recommend it to somebody who wants a universal bright light which should be used in any circumstances. Just read before ordering!

Xak

Enlightened
Loved my M20 so much I mounted it to my rifle and bought another to carry. I got the olive drab. Just be warned the olive drab is acctually silver/tan. Awesome lights.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
The M30 puts out 3 times more Lumen than the M20, but is doesn't have 3 times the brightness for the eye! The hotspot is a lot larger, the spill is brighter, but for throw the M20 is still the winner!

I put the SMO in my M20 because I wanted a dedicated thrower in my collection. I agree that the OP is all you need, the beam is nicer, no ugly rings or donut holes. But, if you caught the virus too, get the SMO, you'll sleep better! :crazy:

Concerning the M30, read a few threads here, the light isn't bad, but needs improvements here and there. I'm fine with mine as a collection object, but at this stage I wouldn't recommend it to somebody who wants a universal bright light which should be used in any circumstances. Just read before ordering!

Good advice - thanks. I don't think I'll get the smooth reflector - if I want a longer throw and don't mind the 'hole', that cheap Target light does the job (on 2 C batteries.) BUT - if I want the 'uber' light to startle the deer and make cars pause :)laughing:) what other options? I like the price of the M30 - I like being able to use the 18650 batteries (I have a charger) because then I can rotate the batteries between the lights. I don't want to carry a spotlight around, but a larger light is okay.....
It's purely a want for more power - the M20 does, honestly, more than I hoped for and I can't believe how small it is - but as I said, more power is GOOD!

1996alnl

Enlightened
My experience with M20's smooth reflector, it does not make any difference as fa as throw goes, but beam is much uglier and you get a nasty donut hole in the hotspot. OP reflector on M20 is all you need. Mine was purchased from 4sevens by the way.

I use a smooth reflector on mine and i only noticed a slight donut hole in the center,nothing too bad.
There is a halo around the hotspot though but the beam seems much more focused compared to my orange peel reflector which has a smooth beam.

As far as throw i'd say there's about a 10% difference between the two refectors. Not a big difference but it's nice to know that if your neighbour is fumbling with his car keys a block away you can help him out;)

HKJ

Flashaholic
any such thing as a rechargeable 123?

Yes and no, it is a bit of a jungle.

A CR123 battery is 3 volt unloaded and might drop to 2.5 volt with a heavy load.

A RCR123 can be as high as 4.2 volt unloaded and only drop to 3.7 volt under load, some lights will go :poof: with this kind of battery. A better name for this type of RCR123 is 16340 LiIon battery and they can be charged on a normal LiIon charger.
Most led lights that uses two CR123 batteries will work with these rechargeables.

Other types of RCR123 batteries has lower voltages and requires other types of chargers, but none of them has as low voltages as a real CR123 battery.

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might want to also look at the Eagletac M2 lights, which use 18650's as well.
Or, you could go the less expensive route, and just skip straight to HID lights (for maximum brightness). Trust me, you will end up there eventually, so you might as well save some money now and get an HID light of some kind, like the Stanley HID (probably the best value out there right now).

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might want to also look at the Eagletac M2 lights, which use 18650's as well.
Or, you could go the less expensive route, and just skip straight to HID lights (for maximum brightness). Trust me, you will end up there eventually, so you might as well save some money now and get an HID light of some kind, like the Stanley HID (probably the best value out there right now).

I can't agree that a flashaholic will land undoubtly at the HIDs.

I have about 35 lights (if you start to count them, you always miss a few...) and they are all LED, only one of them a multi-die-emitter. I am attracted to the little lights that offer much light and long runtime. I didn't want a multi-die, but fell for the M30 because of its compactness.

My eyes are somewhat sensible, at home I dim all lights and I just can't stand the bright office lights, I never switch them one but use a halogen ceiling-flooder.

So, I also rarely use my flashlights at full power, only when it's needed. If I look for LEDs with higer output, it's mainly for getting more runtime at lower levels, while knowing that there's light in reserve.

Each flashaholic is different, i also like good build quality and high-class materials. As for HID, I have Xenon lights on my car, while driving you really can't have enough light on the street! :cool:

Back to topic : Have a look on the different threads, have a look on the lights on the official websites and at some dealers, but don't buy too quickly, give yourself time to know what you really want, only that wil be the less expensive road. If you want a flashlight that costs 100$, don't buy one of 50$ just because you haven't got the money ready, wait a little longer and buy the 100 bucks light, then you'll save 50 bucks! :thinking:

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't say that all flashaholics will end up there, but rather that the OP will, from the comments he has already made:
I want the 'uber' light to startle the deer and make cars pause.
To me, it definitely sounds like he will eventually go the HID route.