EagleTac M2C4 vs. Surefire 10X (comparison pics & videos)

BUZ

Enlightened
Well after waiting a while like everyone else I finally got my M2C4 the other day from Mike at PTS-Flashlights, gotta say that I'm impressed with the overall quality of this light. When you first take it out of the box you'll notice a nice heft to the light, the machining is top notch and the finish is as well. The operation of the dial (that adjusts output) is quite smooth, can easily crank the lumens up or down with one hand. The balance is a bit off as the head of this unit is built like an abrams however since it's so short it really isn't that bad. Wish the seals (for the battery compartment were a bit better), if this was submerged into water I think that there would be some definite leakage (will have to give it a try) in the next day or two. The holster is nice and seems to have some kind of smooth liner, nice if you intend to use is a lot as it won't wear on the finish of the M2. Also came with a nice lanyard and some spare parts. I think that anyone who purchases this will be more than pleased, I know that I am!

The manual claims 800 lumens, while I don't think is putting out quite that many it is indeed bright! I have several Surefire 10x's, in fact the 10x is one of my favorite lights. I have one in my vehicle, one in my bedroom next to the 1911 45 and one in the garage mounted on the wall. I was curious as to how the new M2C4 would stack up against the 10x so I did some side by side comparisons below (please note that this 10x has the MN32 lamp installed for a total output of 610 lumens). I think the M2C4 faired quite well against the 10x, not to many factory built LED lights (of this size & price) will hang with a 10X.

http://www.pts-flashlights.com/products/product.aspx?pid=6658&kw=p7&st=4

EagleTac M2C4

• Features:
    • Quad die SSC P7 D bin Premium tint LED emitter with up to 900 lumen
    • Constant Current Regulation Output C2800 Light Engine
    • Gold Plated Copper Contacts for Superior Conductivity and Durability
    • ET54 Aluminum Optical Reflector with mild OP finish
    • Battery Options: 4 - CR123A or 2 - 18650 Li-ion Rechargeables
    • All inOne Digital Rotary Switch with Off Position and Tactical Strobe
    • Rotary Switch made in Reenforced Polycarbonate with Smooth Rubber Coating
    • Output Levels : Strobe > 900 lumen > 420 lumen > 170 lumen > 45 lumen > Off
    • Runtime (4x123A): Strobe > 1.2hr > 3.5hr > 9.5 hr > 45hr > Off
    • Runtime (2x18650): Strobe > 1.5hr > 4.5hr > 12.5 hr > 55hr > Off
Dimensions:
Bezel - 2.4"
Body - 2.0" x 1.1"
Length - 6.3" (M2X) 6.5" (M2)

Included accessories:
Para cord lanyard with position lock
Rigid Nylon holster with adjustable mounting for different belt sizes
Spare o-ring

Optional accessories:
- Filter Kit (Red/Blue/Green/IR)
- Diffuser Kit
- Window Protector Cap
- 123A Battery Magazine Holder, efficiently loads CR123A lithium batteries compatible with M2 battery tray
- M2 Additional Battery Tray custom fit for 18650 and CR123A batteries with gold plated copper contacts

thumbs-up.gif

IMG_3698.jpg

IMG_3666.jpg

IMG_3668.jpg

IMG_3661.jpg

IMG_3703.jpg

IMG_3712.jpg

IMG_3688.jpg

IMG_3737.jpg

IMG_3733.jpg

IMG_3741.jpg

M2C4 next to a Surefire 6P
IMG_3716.jpg

Comparison shots, M2C4 left & Surefire 10X right.

M2.jpg

Exposure bias + 0.7 step
EXP07.jpg

Exposure bias + 0.3 step
EXP03.jpg

Exposure bias 0 step
EXP0.jpg

Exposure bias -0.3 step
EXP-03.jpg

Exposure bias -0.7 step
EXP-07.jpg

Exposure bias -1 step
EXP-1.jpg

Exposure bias -1.3 step
EXP-13.jpg

Exposure bias -2 step
EXP-2.jpg

M2C4 left on low vs Surefire 6p LED on the right.
EXP--07.jpg

M2C4
M2C4.jpg

10X
10x.jpg

P90
P90.jpg

Videos:

M2C4 vs. Surefire 10x

Video full screen: http://s353.photobucket.com/player....367/DPHARRIZZ/EagletacM2C4.flv&fs=1&os=1&ap=1

Surefire 9P P90, Surefire 10x low/high, Eagletac M2C4

Video full screen: http://s353.photobucket.com/player....lbums/r367/DPHARRIZZ/CPF55.flv&fs=1&os=1&ap=1

Last edited:

CaliColin

Newly Enlightened
Re: EagleTac M2C4 vs. Surefire 10X

Thanks for your pics and comments on this piece. I am considering a quality monster light as a gift for one of my groomsmen. This is a top contender. I was worried when I learned that the tailcap would be plastic, but it looks to be quite sturdy and able to handle a waist-high drop.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: EagleTac M2C4 vs. Surefire 10X (comparison pics)

Thank you for the images, Buz. These are the clearest and biggest I've ever seen so far. Almost life size on my screen, feel like reaching out and grab it myself.... probably a side effect from the wait. Will look forward to your outdoor shots. But I was hoping to compare a M2XC4 against your Surefire 10x. :)

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened

FWIW, I originally thought I would put the tailcap switch on, but after testing the light, I really don't think I will ever put it on as I really like the rotating ring that controls the light.

BUZ

Enlightened

Thanks for your pics and comments on this piece. I am considering a quality monster light as a gift for one of my groomsmen. This is a top contender. I was worried when I learned that the tailcap would be plastic, but it looks to be quite sturdy and able to handle a waist-high drop.

Hey you bet! Would be a good gift, if it was dropped onto concrete there is a good chance an edge would crack off however there is no doubt in my mind that the M2 would take a good beating before it ever stopped working.

Thank you for the images, Buz. These are the clearest and biggest I've ever seen so far. Almost life size on my screen, feel like reaching out and grab it myself.... probably a side effect from the wait. Will look forward to your outdoor shots. But I was hoping to compare a M2XC4 against your Surefire 10x. :)

Thanks, If the wife doesn't shoot me I will have one to test very soon! :grin2:

The 10X still looks brighter, though. SureFire lumens are hard to beat...

Indeed they are, while the M2 seems to have more spill the 10x easily out throws it!

FWIW, I originally thought I would put the tailcap switch on, but after testing the light, I really don't think I will ever put it on as I really like the rotating ring that controls the light.

I'm still in the middle, while the switch is a bit squishy I still like having the clickie.

Last edited:

bilatos

Newly Enlightened

I am expecting a comparison between the Eagletac M2 x Jetbeam m1x to make the purchase, which will win? :candle:

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast

Is the mode selector ring free rotating, or does it only turn a certain number of degrees? Once you hit the strobe mode, does the ring stop moving?

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am expecting a comparison between the Eagletac M2 x Jetbeam m1x to make the purchase, which will win? :candle:
In terms of throw, the M1X will win over the M2 hands down. There is no comparison.

If you are looking for throw, then the Tri-Cree models from EagleTac are better than the M2, but I still don't think they can out throw the M1X, though. Time will tell..

BUZ

Enlightened

Is the mode selector ring free rotating, or does it only turn a certain number of degrees? Once you hit the strobe mode, does the ring stop moving?

The ring will not just spin all the way around. When the M2 is in the off position you will only be able to turn the ring to the right approximately two inches till it stops. When you have it turned all the way to the right it will be in strobe mode. Go back back left or counter clockwise till it's stops and the M2 will be shut off.

Kremer

Enlightened

I'm finding that with the clckie installed I use both. in an underhand hold I leave the clickie on and use my thumb on the ring for on-off and brightness. In an overhand hold having the clickie under your thumb is very nice for momentary, having pre-selected your operating mode with the ring.

dj:litestick

Newly Enlightened

Awesome comparison, and even better pics. Good job Buz.
:thumbsup:

Ryanrpm

Enlightened

What was the distance to the trees? And can you give us shots at a distance of about 200-500ft?

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the Video, I think that shows the light pretty well. :popcorn:

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am surprised that there is no donut hole when uplose to the wall which is amazing...or is it because of the bright light?

thanks for the review, Eagletac M2XC4 is currently in my wish list i hope i can save enough money :D

1dash1

Enlightened

BUZ:

Nice review. Can you please re-size the pic's down to 800x800 (800 maximum in any one direction) per CPF policy, before the moderators step in.

BTW, love the woods scene comparison in your video. The M2C4 does a good job of illuminating, the 10X does a great job of rendering.

BUZ

Enlightened

What was the distance to the trees? And can you give us shots at a distance of about 200-500ft?

About 50-60ft. If I get a chance I will take some more beam shots @ a longer distance.

I am surprised that there is no donut hole when uplose to the wall which is amazing...or is it because of the bright light?

thanks for the review, Eagletac M2XC4 is currently in my wish list i hope i can save enough money :D

Yeah me to, I did notice that the dome of the emitter has an almost frosted appearance. I'm not sure if this was done on purpose however I suspect that is why my M2 has no donut.

Last edited:

Kremer

Enlightened

Mine has no frostiness, and a slight donut hole at low and medium with the die pattern at distances of a couple feet. Above that in distance or power and it's just a beautiful spot and fade to spill.