Tactical flashlight with strike bezel?

john10001

Newly Enlightened
Can anyone recommend any lower cost alternatives to the Surefire E2DL that have a strike bezel?

I'd like something that is really rugged and can take a lot of abuse and is also waterproof and can survive a dunking.

I have taken a look at the Fenix TA30 but the reviews I read didn't rate is so well.

Battery choice - whatever offers the longest run times, can be recharged and is widely available.

I'm looking for something with 2 light output levels as the bare min. A really low light level e.g. just 5 or 10 lumens, then a high power
output of 120+ lumens. Multi-mode would be even better.

I have looked at the video clips of the TA20/21 and it looks okay, but I would like to wait and read the reviews first. I think perhaps the strike bezel on it could protrude more and look meaner like the E2DL?

If anyone has any more recommendations as alternatives to the E2DL with a strike bezel I'd appreciate your advice.

John

Last edited:

Me+Light=Addiction

Enlightened
Can't think of an alternative of the E2DL. Just take that one. Might be a little high priced but it gots everything you ask for. And it probably is the strongest light so no worries if you drop it. And if it perhaps dies somehow, or you drop it and magicly break it which sounds impossible ;) then you can trust on good customer service and lifetime warranty.

slowhand23

Newly Enlightened
Nitecore offers similar lights with the Defender Infinity (1AA) or the Extreme (1CR123), both might meet you needs for $80/$90. No experience with the Surefire, but as already mentioned, I expect it's a great light as well.
I think you will find a few others in Selfbuilt's review links below. However, most won't have strike bezels. Good luck!

http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=93&products_id=503
Defender Infinity

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/224932 1AA reviews

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/214890 2AA reviews

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/201117
1CR123 review

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Solarforce L2 is a solid light with a very chunky bezel. Fraction of the price of the E2DL and will run off 2xCR123 or rechargeables.

I have one in the car, just in case I have to stop down a dark alley. It's very well made, very bright and feels nice and hefty in the hand.

The only downside is that it doesn't have a very low setting (it is multi-mode, but the lowest setting is still about 50% brightness). If the 5 lumen setting is really important to you, then M+L=A's suggestion would be favourite; otherwise the L2 should do you nicely.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
You could try posting a Want to Buy (WTB) topic over at the MarketPlace. Perhaps someone will sell you their slightly used E2DL for a fair price.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can anyone recommend any lower cost alternatives to the Surefire E2DL that have a strike bezel?

I'd like something that is really rugged and can take a lot of abuse and is also waterproof and can survive a dunking.

I have taken a look at the Fenix TA30 but the reviews I read didn't rate is so well.

Battery choice - whatever offers the longest run times, can be recharged and is widely available.

I'm looking for something with 2 light output levels as the bare min. A really low light level e.g. just 5 or 10 lumens, then a high power
output of 120+ lumens. Multi-mode would be even better.

I have looked at the video clips of the TA20/21 and it looks okay, but I would like to wait and read the reviews first. I think perhaps the strike bezel on it could protrude more and look meaner like the E2DL?

If anyone has any more recommendations as alternatives to the E2DL with a strike bezel I'd appreciate your advice.

John

I have the Fenix TA30 for evaluation right now. It was not sent to me free from Fenix. I got it in a trade deal. It has a very good low mode, is well regulated and a very good hand grip if that is what you are going to do with it. Since it takes 3 CR123's it also takes 2 17500's and the output is very good with those as well so now you have good long run time, low modes to conserve battery power, rock solid construction, a strike bezel. So what in those reviews turned you off about it?

Its total out the front lumens is about 191 to 194 based on battery choice. However, it does have a different focus pattern in the reflector optimized for more throw (still with good spill) compared to the TK1 or TK10 type lights. It puts out more lux down range than the other lights. Not a bad light for only $90.00 that I saw on sale just now.

I really like that the modes are on a separate ring, well marked, good detent, so if you set it to high and that's what you want everytime you push the on/off button, that is what you are going to get. That is the way it should be.

So really whats not to like? Not every Surefire E2DL model out there puts out a screaming 210 plus lumens out the front when they are rated for 120. Some are down in the 150 to 170 lumen range. And you always have to cycle high/low on the switch with the E2DL which is not a good tactical feature. You only get the blinding light 50% of the time you pulse it on and off.

G.

soulrider

Newly Enlightened
You might look at the Olight M20 Warrior R2. I'm rather new to LED lights but I just purchased this light and it seems as though it might fit your needs. I have only owned it a short time so I can't personally vouch for how rugged it is but it claims to be waterproof and meet Mil-spec: MIL-STD-810F. It does appear to me to be very solid and well made. It has double O rings at each end of the battery tube. It has a removeable steel striking bezel as well as a removeable pocket clip and removeable 'cigar style hold' ring. It has 3 levels of light output: 7, 90 and 250 lumens and strobe. It runs on 2 x CR123A, 2 x RCR123A, 2 x 16340, 1 x 17670 or 1 x 18650. Review here: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/207836

john10001

Newly Enlightened
I have the Fenix TA30 for evaluation right now. It was not sent to me free from Fenix. I got it in a trade deal. It has a very good low mode, is well regulated and a very good hand grip if that is what you are going to do with it. Since it takes 3 CR123's it also takes 2 17500's and the output is very good with those as well so now you have good long run time, low modes to conserve battery power, rock solid construction, a strike bezel. So what in those reviews turned you off about it?

Its total out the front lumens is about 191 to 194 based on battery choice. However, it does have a different focus pattern in the reflector optimized for more throw (still with good spill) compared to the TK1 or TK10 type lights. It puts out more lux down range than the other lights. Not a bad light for only $90.00 that I saw on sale just now.

I really like that the modes are on a separate ring, well marked, good detent, so if you set it to high and that's what you want everytime you push the on/off button, that is what you are going to get. That is the way it should be.

So really whats not to like? Not every Surefire E2DL model out there puts out a screaming 210 plus lumens out the front when they are rated for 120. Some are down in the 150 to 170 lumen range. And you always have to cycle high/low on the switch with the E2DL which is not a good tactical feature. You only get the blinding light 50% of the time you pulse it on and off.

G.

I've been trying to refind that review I looked at a few days ago but have been unable to.

One of the main things it said though was the light output had dark rings and wasn't as good as other flashlights? It also mentioned something about the tail and the protruding button. It wasn't a review that told me to rush out and get one even though on looks alone I probably would have done that. What you say though makes me go back for another look at this and other reviews I have read are more complimentary so I am reconsidering this flashlight now.

Have just taken a look at the Olight M20 Warrior as well and that also looks like a decent flashlight.

So now I have a few things to choose between:

Surefire E2DL £129 (-price, button)
Surefire 6P Led Defender £74-95 (-price, single mode, only 80 lum)
Fenix TA30 £74-95 (-price, dark rings in output?)
Fenix TA20/21 £tbc? (-price?)
Olight M20 Warrior Premium £65-95 (-price, ?)
Nighcore Extreme £54-95 (-?)
Nightcore Defender Infinity £49-95 (-?)
Solarforce L2 6p £35 est after imp duty & tax (-Hong Kong!)
Anymore for anymore?

As you can see prices here where I live in the UK are ridiculously expensive for the E2DL. That would be almost $215 in US Dollars at todays exchange rate. The TA30 is also 50% more expensive than it should be. I wouldn't buy the E2DL even if I could get it at US prices.

The Fenix TA30 if I decide to go with that one I would buy only if I could find a US retailer selling it that ships outside US and has reasonable costs for that.

£50 was the budget that I was looking at and didn't really want to go above. I may have to stretch that to £60, source one from the US and hope at the same time that the Pound to Dollar exchange rate goes up a bit more, maybe to $1.75/£0.57 in reverse.

I've got some more reading to do and price checking it looks like.

John

s.c.

Newly Enlightened
jetbeam III-m with strike bezel should be on that list.

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ra Ra Ra! lol Although expensive and not always so available batteries (CR123A), I'm sure you can strike someone in the forehead with it's bezel! haha :twak:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Solarforce L2 £35 est after imp duty & tax (-Hong Kong!)
Anymore for anymore?

Just a word of caution, the L2 is a host only. Meaning, it is usually sold without an LED lamp in place. All you get is a tailcap, body, and empty head. Be sure that price from Hong Kong includes a Solarforce R2 drop-in as well.

No need to order from Hong Kong though. Lighthound.com is based in America, and has one of the greatest reputations of any online shop. Far greater than any place based in Hong Kong. (You'll still have to pay tax & duties. But if something goes wrong, Lighthound will make things right).

As for the strike-bezel on the L2 host, it is much more aggressive than what you'll get on the Surefire 6P Defender. I have an L2, a good friend of mine has a 6P Defender. No contest which one is more aggressive. With the L2, you will definitely need a holster for it.

iWiLL

Newly Enlightened
Just a word of caution, the L2 is a host only. Meaning, it is usually sold without an LED lamp in place.
It's 25 USD for the Solarforce L2 incl. the Drop-In, 18650 Battery + Holster (solarforcestore) that are about £17 and you will not have to pay duty or tax for that. At this price the Solarforce L2 is unbeatable.