Wanting to confirm if the TK40 is right for me.

Shimon

Newly Enlightened
I've been reading the forums for a while, but I think I'm ready to buy a flashlight now... the thing is I don't know very many flashlights, and this one seem to have caught my eye.

The thing is, is that the Fenix-Store.com seems to be out of them, and I was looking for other places that might have them and I found one a site that is $113.82. I'm just wondering if I should wait until Fenix-Store gets them in since you guys recommend them and I'm just wary of buying things online.

Is there any other flashlight that is just as good or better that takes AA eneloops and a recommended site to purchase? Thank you in advance!

0) What Region/Country/State will the light be purchased in?

I am in North America. More precisely I am in the US.

1) Price Range: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

I am willing to spend $0-$200.

2) Format:

I want a flashlight.

3) Length:

I don't care.

4) Width:

I don't care.

5) What batteries do you want to use? Alkaline batteries are easier to find and less expensive but don't pack as much stored energy and are don't work well in cold temperatures. Lithium batteries have long shelf life (10+ years, great for stored emergency lights) and are not as affected by cold but must be kept dry and are more expensive. Rechargeable start expensive, but if used frequently pay off quickly.

I want to use eneloops AAA or AA only.

6) How much light do you want? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

__X_I want to light an entire campground or dazzle an intruder. (100+ lumens)

7) Throw vs Flood: Which do you prefer, lights that flood an area with a wide beam, or lights that "throw" with a tightly focused beam? Place an "X" on the line below.

Throw (distance)-----------------x----|----------------------Flood/close-up

8) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims (like some LED lights). but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries.

____20 min. (I want the brightest light for brief periods)
_X__60-240 min. (1-2 hours)
____240-360 min. (4-6 hours)
____360+ min. (More than 6 hours)

9) Durability: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

_X__Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box.)

8) Switch Type:

_X__I would perfer a "clickie" switch. (Stays on until pressed again.)

9) Switch Location:

I would perfer a push or sliding switch on the body near the head like a maglite.

10) Operational Modes: Check all that apply.

_X__A simple on-off is fine for me.

If it has other modes, that's fine as well.

11) Is it important whether the body is metal or plastic/composite?

_X__I want a metal-bodied light.

12) Special Needs: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Circle any below or write in your own comment(s).

No special needs

AusKipper

Enlightened
I have a TK40 and love it, i would just wait till they are back in stock and Fenix Store and get one then.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the AA format there is no other choice. If you are willing to buy into the 18650 format...many choices. I was going to buy the TK-40 myself...but am rethinking...a single 18650 powered light is more size friendly. And all things considered possibly more user friendly.

I`m going to wait and see what 47`s comes out with before making my move into the high lumen range.

tango44

Enlightened
I don´t think that you will ever find a better light..

FENIX TK10 or TK11 is what you need, youa can get 18650 for it you won´t need anything else.

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
TK40 for $113.82?
That's cheap, for that price I'm going to buy another one, please pm me the link.
BTW- I love the TK40.

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
Just make sure you are willing to buy a LOT of batteries or have the ability to keep a LOT of rechargeables available.

If Fenix made a similar light that ran on 2x18650, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Shimon

Newly Enlightened
Thank you everyone for your help. :) I'm not too familiar with these 18650 batteries, and when I look on that google shopping, there seems to be a lot of them, but it's a lot of brands that I don't know and different capacities it seems like and I get really confused.

Plus my first preference is to buy things at brick and mortar stores (lol I'm still wary of Amazon which is usually the only place I buy online) and I don't think that a place like target, best buy, etc would have those things readily available? If they do I might look into the 18650 flashlights.

I think I'll wait until Fenix-Store gets them back in since they have that lifetime warranty - since the other place I don't know if anyone bought from them and don't know anything about that other site.

And I don't know how to pm a link, although I don't want to get in trouble for listing a site I don't know if they're any good or not, I'm kind of new to this thing too, I feel kind of embarrased.

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
hey there shimon..

to PM someone, click on their name.. go to "contact info" and click send a private message.

you can send me the sites.

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
just google tk40 and $113.82 :sssh: it still comes to 125 cuz of shipping and best bet its probably still their first batch with likely K bin ...and did the 2nd batch have a fix with lockout in less rotations or does that vary even first batch , i remember people saying it took 3 turns and some reporting 1.5-2 turns

jahxman

Enlightened
...and did the 2nd batch have a fix with lockout in less rotations or does that vary even first batch , i remember people saying it took 3 turns and some reporting 1.5-2 turns

I have a TK40 that took 3 turns to lockout when I got it, but I bent the little gold contacts on the positive end of the battery holder in a little bit by hand and now it locks out in less than one full turn, with no ill effects on the function of the light. I am not 100% positive this locks out the parasitic drain or not, I saw where someone said it didn't...so far it seems OK.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Just make sure you are willing to buy a LOT of batteries or have the ability to keep a LOT of rechargeables available.

If Fenix made a similar light that ran on 2x18650, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Are 18650's protected?

bodhran

Enlightened
I'm another one who has the TK40 and loves it. Just take one out on a dark night and you'll be sold. I use eneloops and a 10 cell smart charger. For me it easy, and convenient.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
The TK40 is one awesome light! I just got an Eagletac M2XC4, a Solarfire L950, and the TK40. The TK40 outshines all of them, and the other two are no slouches! As far as batteries go, just buy 16 good AA NIMH rechargeables. That may seem expensive at first, but they should give you a few years of service and you can charge them with no worries. Lithium ion cells need a bit more babysitting to use safely. I would not use primary batteries in the TK40 unless you have to. That would get expensive in the long run!

Mike

recDNA

Flashaholic
The TK40 is one awesome light! I just got an Eagletac M2XC4, a Solarfire L950, and the TK40. The TK40 outshines all of them, and the other two are no slouches! As far as batteries go, just buy 16 good AA NIMH rechargeables. That may seem expensive at first, but they should give you a few years of service and you can charge them with no worries. Lithium ion cells need a bit more babysitting to use safely. I would not use primary batteries in the TK40 unless you have to. That would get expensive in the long run!

Mike

The 630 lumen TK outshines the 800 lumen M2XC4? Beamshots please!

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are 18650's protected?

Some of them are, but some aren't. You can actually get 18650's by taking apart laptop batteries, but these are not individually protected.
I think that 18650's are definitely worth it, and more practical than 8 AA batteries.
Apparently the black trustfire 2400Mah batteries on Dealextreme are pretty good, and are only 9 dollars for 2. They apparently have close to 2400Mah. You could also try AW's new 2600Mah batteries, which are more expensive.

alexdiver

Newly Enlightened
i love my tk40 and love the fact that i can find cells for it pretty much anywhere , even at a gas station if im really stuck , that for me is a big plus , because i travel and camp alot !

Shimon

Newly Enlightened
I was looking at the CPFMarketPlace, and I found a thread http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showpost.php?p=2316468&postcount=23 that said that a ton of people were returning this flashlight because of reverse charging and putting cells backwards...

I'm kind of concerned about this, I was going to use all duracell precharged (white tops), but is this going to be a problems for me?

Hopefully I have enough self awareness to not put the batteries in backward, but the reverse charging, I'm not too sure on what do about that...

What is a K bin and lockout? From reading other posts is a lockout where you unscrew the top and the batteries are not being drained?

kimki

Newly Enlightened
It is a good deal for only $113.82, but i don't want to carry some many AA batteries.:poof:

strinq

Enlightened
Output comparison done by Mev at light-reviews:

Eagletac M2XC4 = 696 lumens
Fenix TK 40 = 626 lumens

http://light-reviews.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=122

Both have great runtimes at low - turbo. TK40 is better at all levels. But it's running on 8(!) batteries... There's a warning to not use turbo for more than 15 minutes but some reviewers have stated that they run it till the brightness declines without any problems.

Last edited: