black Streamlight ProPolymer 3C LEDs finally came in

steve_vance

Enlightened
This is still my favorite LED light.....despite all the furor over LS lights, this one in my opinion is a real workhorse- LOTS of light, lightweight, waterproof to 200 feet, nicely designed, and it's VERY handsome in black. Originally got them from MEI research/Action Lights- but it turned out they were old stock, no tailcap switch. streamlight agreed to swap them out for new ones, since MEI didn't have any. A very nice light!

Smaug

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
A very nice light!

[/ QUOTE ]

I can imagine...

I just got my LED ProPoly 4AA the other day and it is wonderful. It has a very useful flood of light with decent throw too.

Yesterday, I got my Clip-Mate. If I could only have one LED light, that would be it. The clip and head strap just make it so versatile. (and only $15!)

I'm continually amazed at the quality vs. price that Streamlight offers. Now, they are coming onto the Luxeon bandwagon too. To me, the AA is a bit too long, and the one that's not even out yet is lithium only, so I will keep waiting for one that is compact and uses common batteries. They will hit it eventually.

Streamlight, If you're reading this, here's a tip: Build a 1W Luxeon star light. Make it run on 3AAs, (arranged in a triangle like the Clip-Mate so it doesn't have to be so long) put it in a polymer case, make it focusable and inexpensive. If you could do this for $35 or less, it would be a killer. Since it would run on AAs, it would have the option of lithiums too. If you could integrate a clip like the Clip-Mate has, but make it detachable... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif Yes... that's the stuff. Everyone on CPF would have one.

jtice

Flashaholic
I love my 3C. Lots of even flooding light, and yes a surprising bit of throw also. Mine is the old version,,,, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif no tail swithch. You say Streamlight would swap it out for me? Did you do this yet? Did you just mail it to them?

steve_vance

Enlightened
it depends. They swapped mine because I just got it...and the dealer tried to pull one over on me, telling me they all came that way....so I called Streamlight to file a complaint.
How long have you had yours? Did the dealer sell you old stock when he should have sold you new stock?
If you just got it....try your delaer, to see if he'll exchange it. If he won't, call Streamlight customer service at 800-528-4800, and tell thewm you've got a light that doesn't have a tailcap switch, and "aren't they supposed to have one, and would they please take it back and replace it.

Hope you are successful

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
So what are your opinions on which is the better light? 3C 10 LED, or the 3C Twin Task? I think I'm going to get one of the two for a gift.

Mark

steve_vance

Enlightened
depends on the purpose, please specify what it will be used for, and what kind of person is receiving it.

Having said that, for MOST people (exception: law enforcement or search and rescue, where you NEED a spot beam) the ProPolymer 3C is the better choice (not the better light, as they are equall in quality)

Zeppert

Enlightened
Smaug, I have the 4AA LED and I like mine alot too. I use 4 lithiums in there and it is plenty bright. $23 for this much LED power - not bad at all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Don't have the 3C LED yet.

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't seen one in person yet. Is the case comparable to a Pelican Super SabreLite?
Also, I thought they all had the tailswitch, but the newer one locked the light on, as the older one was only momentary.
Can someone clarify this?

I would really like to get one of these, but I would prefer to trade for one. It seems like a perfect light for the toolbox at work. (When I find work.)

S

SgtThompson

Re: black Streamlight ProPolymer 3C LEDs finally c

I have the 2 C twin task LED and I love it. Made by STreamlight.

steve_vance

Enlightened
First: yes, the case is similar to the Pelican, but a little longer. Also the clip is better designed, doesn't stick out so much.
You are correct about the switch: the older stock had a momentary switch on the tailcap; to turn the light on you have to turn the head, a two-hand operation. The newer stock has a click-switch on the end of the light: it has the same momentary operation, but if you push it til it clicks it's an on-off switch.
As far as trading, maybe in a while, but all of mine are spoken for right now. Check with me in a couple weeks.

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
shankus said:
Is the case comparable to a Pelican Super SabreLite?

[/ QUOTE ]
I wasn't clear with my question. What I meant to ask was, is the case made of the same plastic, or something similarly robust?

*SgtThompson*
By the way, welcome to CPF.

steve_vance

Enlightened
well, I just looked at both- one in each hand lol- and here's the lowdown:
1.streamlight is as robust, maybe even more if you can imagine that. A very very sturdy light.
2. Pelican is octagonal, streamlight is completely round
3. lanyard attaches to the rear of the Pelican, there are two attachment points on the streamlight: on the end of the belt clip, and just behind the head
4. as you already know, Pelican turns on by turning the head, streamlight has a tailcap switch.
Here for your viewing pleasure lol is the side-by-side:
pel-2000.jpg

10-4860.jpg

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW, the Streamlight is even more robust?! That's impressive. I guess I'm seeing why no one wants to trade one.
Thanks for your time, Steve.

jtice

Flashaholic
The Streamlight 3C is VERY robust,,, seems very strong. It think its going to take the beating I give it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Smaug

Newly Enlightened
As to steve's thought that the Streamlight might be more robust, I think that is purely speculation by how they feel in the hand, right?

I believe the Pelican is made of some kind of polycarbonate plastic; VERY tough stuff. Thick polycarbnate tends not to give as much as polymer, polymer is usually a bit softer and more flexible.

I don't think you have it in you to break either of them, shankus. I would bet that by the time you hit the Streamlight hard enough to break the case, something else would have broken first, such as the switch. On that basis, I would bet that the Pelican is tougher, as it has one less moving part. Also, the Pelican will probably stay waterproof to deeper depths as there is no worry of leakage around the switch area. (or the switch being depressed by pressure.)

Here is a side note on my yellow 4AA LED ProPoly: I have used it a few hours in the past week for walking in the woods. It seems that there is some chemical in Cutter bug repellant that takes the black paint off! The last few times, I have come back with a black smudge on my hands and I finally figured out what it was from. I think I will use some alcohol to take off the rest of that cheap paint; I was never a big fan of the label anyhow. In that regard, the Pelican is definitely more rugged, since the lettering is raised. (although the paint will wear off of that one too...)

RossB

Newly Enlightened
The 3C 10's a great toolbox/car trunk/nightstand light, but a bit large for EDC carry. Mine sits on the nightstand. I like ST products - besides the 3C, I have 2 7LED 4AA's ,a Scorpion, a Syclone, and a Keymate.

I keep hoping they'll put the 7 LED head, or an LS, in the Syclone body. That would be my near-perfect light.

RossB

steve_vance

Enlightened
maybe more than that, Smaug....Ive been using Pelican for years, even before I was interested in LEDs, and taking them caving, scuba diving and camping. I have less experience with the Streamlight ProPolymers, but in the time I've had them they've been thrown around, dropped, submerged, stepped on and generally abused. So my guess was based on that, not hand feel....although I do prefer the hand feel of the Streamlight.
Maybe "equally robust" is more accurate, now that I think about it.
As always, thanks for your thoughts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif