Best Mini Mag Dropin

zlf15

Newly Enlightened
Are the Terralux led dropins for 2 AA mini mags the best option out there or are there other viable choices? Specifically the Terralux ministar 2 or ministar 2 extreme?

tolkaze

Enlightened
I was going to get the terralux, but wanted an IQ switch, so went nite-ize instead... much better over incan, but from what i have heard, the ministars are better again

zlf15

Newly Enlightened
Do you know what the output is for each of the levels with the nite-ize IQ switch as well as runtime?

tolkaze

Enlightened
There are several types, including a 3x LED one (which looked a bit rubbish) the one I got was a 1 watt Luxeon which supposedly puts out 25 Lumens, but it looks a bit more than that, for 7 hours. The IQ switch does 100% 50% 25% and 2 strobes (slow, and slower)

http://www.batteryjunction.com/niq-07-1wc.html

In around the house usage, i haven't managed to kill a set of batteries in several months.

Edit: You should be able to buy the terralux dropin, and buy an IQ switch separately
Edit2: http://www.batteryjunction.com/tle-5k2.html shows the terralux to be 140lm. maybe 2 hours out of 2xaa

Last edited:

LED_astray

Newly Enlightened
Are the Terralux led dropins for 2 AA mini mags the best option out there or are there other viable choices? Specifically the Terralux ministar 2 or ministar 2 extreme?

You didn't define best. (Best runtime? Best flood? Best price, quality, or...? Probably best throw.)

As far as I know you'll get the most light from the Terralux TLE-5EX module.

However, do ask yourself what you really mean by best. I've tried the Nite-Ize 3LED & 1W modules and the TerraLux TLE-20 & TLE5EX. My wife likes the 3LED modules best. They're pure flood and run forever, but aren't very bright. (They're great for close tasks and will light a suburban sidewalk in front of your feet. They also have more effect when it is really dark.) I think I like the TLE-20 best in general. More light and throw than the 3LED module, but not too bright and "glarey" for close & general purpose use. Next I'd chose the Nite-Ize 1W (brighter), then the 3LED (even more flood), and last the TLE-5EX. The TLE-5EX was just too bright and produced too much glare for almost everything I use a flashlight for. (Reports on runtime aren't great either, but I never measured.) Frankly if I'm going to do something that needs that much light, I probably wouldn't might a lot more and I would prefer other lights.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
a long time back i got the 3 - LED nite ize drop in and recently thought of upgrading it but in the end decided against it. The 3-LED drop in is bright enough when its really dark and i balance that against the runtimes that i get, the same set of AAs (alkaline) has been in there for about a year or so (checked regularly for voltage and leaking) and its still running fine.

Great for navigating around the house at night, when out night fishing and dont want too bright a light (have plenty of other lights for that purpose) and its nearly pure flood which is fine by me.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I'd personally get a SmjLED drop in, or the "1 watt" niteize one(with or without IQ switch).

They are usually cheaper then the Terralux, and SmjLED will run for a good amount of time with decent output.

lightinsky

Enlightened
I've got the 1 watt multi mode niteize drop in for my mini mag 2aa incan and it is very good for an all round house light.

I recently picked up the new mini mag multi mode from Home Depot for $20 on sale and it is great. Plenty bright on high and very useful on low. As for the strobe and sos they are more toyish than useful. For the money you can't go wrong. When I compared the 1 watt niteize to the multi mode from mag the mulit mode from mag on low is as bright as the niteize on high mode. Should be about 50 lumens on high estimation for the new multi mode from mag.

Gatsby

Enlightened
The gold standard used to be the drop in sandwiches from the Sandwich Shoppe here on CPF - lots of variations and well designed circuits. But they are, relatively speaking, more expensive and seem to have dropped off the CPF radar screen (which can be a fickle thing since we all lust after or at least want to talk about the latest/greatest). Still worth considering I think - but depending on your use you might be just as happy with a Terralux or Niteize.

WERNER1

Newly Enlightened
I just received a TLE-5EX yesterday that I purchased through Battery Junction,.. I think that it's a great little unit for General purpose and a little above,... especially in a 2-AA format.

It doesn't throw very far with a good spot,...maybe like 30-40ft.,.. but it has a bit of a larger flood/spill area which lights up an area pretty nicely,.. and it's perfect for what I'm using it for - Plumbing and elec. work where you're in a crawl space or looking into dark nooks and cranny where there is typically limited lighting.

I do have a few other 2xAA lights here that throw a spot a lot further and are much brighter,.. but that's another thread I guess :)

Rick

zlf15

Newly Enlightened
So then what is a good drop in option with substantial throw I want something greater than 50 lumens with some throw?

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think the terralux dropins are worth it. For the same price basically you can get a whole flashlight that is better, like a rc-n3

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
So then what is a good drop in option with substantial throw I want something greater than 50 lumens with some throw?

i'd honestly have to say skip the drop ins and go straight for another 2xAA light.

If budget is a concern, i'd go for Romisen RC N3 II Q5 from shiningbeam, its a 2 mode, 2xaa light that can also run in 1xCR123/RCR123 configuration, alternative is the RC N3 warmwhite, single mode, nice tint same config as the RC N3 II

ICCAFSN

Newly Enlightened
As an owner of 2 TLE-5 and a TLE-5EX, I would have to say that the most practical Terralux upgrade would be a TLE-5. It has better runtime (2-3x) with slightly less output than a TLE-5EX. Some old but still relevant reviews can be found at flashlightreviews.com.

That being said, I agree with the latest posts that your money would probably be better spent on a new light altogether. Terralux upgrades cost from $12-$20 (from BatteryJunction - good store BTW), but the Romisens referenced by hyperloop only cost $24-$25.

Not until I had tried out the Terralux upgrades did I realize that it isn't possible to get really good throw from an upgraded MiniMag because the reflector head is just too short. An upgraded MiniMag is simply not the best way to get the most light out of 2xAA batteries (which is why I prioritized the better runtime of the TLE-5 over the brighter TLE-5EX). I initially thought that I might want to keep the focusability afforded by the Terralux upgrades, but newer lights put out enough light that focusability is a non-issue. Plus, with a multi-level light you can get the best of both worlds by choosing a dimmer output with better runtime or a higher output at the cost of battery life.

I know it is hard to retire your Maglites, but you have to learn to let go. (Note: this is how you start on the slippery slope of becoming a flashaholic).

shark_za

Enlightened
I still need to get maglites outta my system too.

The TLE-5EX lists its input voltages as 1.1 VDC-3.3VDC
Does this mean I could chop it down to a single AA and thread again for the end cap?
Would it run like this?

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
not that i dont like my minimags, they're still around, just that the newer technologies make it more practical for me to use, for e.g., the romisen. Low mode on the RC N3 II Q5 gives me 12 hours, high gets 3 hours and a further 2 on low (or the other way round but i think i am correct). i can remember wishing that my minimag could throw a bit further and now the lights in almost the same form factor can do that.

Minimags still have a place in my collection, their long runtimes make them ideal for emergency lights, in those times, i dont think throw would be all that critical and there are other lights that can be used for throw, but those probably wouldnt need to be used all that often.