Fenix LD01 SS first impressions & questions

jamie.91

Enlightened
hey:wave:, just thaught i would share my first impressions of my fenix LD01 SS:twothumbs.

let me start by saying that i have only had this light about 4 days and i have not played ahem cough tested it all that much so my opinion might change in a week or so!

SDC10509.jpg

i had to post this pic because this is proberbly the best packaging i have ever seen, it would look great as a gift!

but i am afraid to say, after taking it out of the box and loading the batterys it was let me say a little dissapointing, i just expected that little bit more.

although overall it is a great light! very comfortable to hold and has a solid feel to it.

the modes are good but there does not visually appear to be much difference between medium and high.

now for the questions

- will you please show me pics of you lanyards on your 1AAA lights as i want one of those paracord lanyards but i dont know where to get the stuff lol

- is everyones LED off centre ? should i send it back ? dont feel as if it affects the beam but it niggles me to know it is not perfect lol

- i want it to be brighter, if i use on of the 3.6v betteries will my medium and low mode also be affected and how many lumens will it achive ?

thanks for reading
Jamie

chef4850

Enlightened
as far as the light I can not comment as I do not have it. As far as the paracord laynards take a look at lighthound under accessories they have lots of different one.

chef

LightScene

Enlightened
If you use 10440 Li-Ion rechargeables, medium will be brighter than high when using NiMh, and high will be noticeably brighter than medium. I hope you are not using alkalines, because they are not suitable for high intensity led's.

The best part of using a 10440 is that the light effectively becomes a single mode light. That is to say, medium is already bright enough and you rarely need high or low.

batmanacw

Enlightened
Throw some lithium batteries in it and see how it looks. I exclusively run lithium batts. in my key chain lights since their use is often intermittent since I have other EDC lights on me at all times.

jamie.91

Enlightened
Firstly thanks for the replies:D

im sorry to say that at the moment i am using alkalines but i want a rechargable for it and how do i go about using the 10440? i understand you cant use them straight away ? also why are the 10440's not protected ? and if i fry my light can fenx tell that i have used a 10440 or will they just give me the benefit of the doubt lol

also i tryed lighthound for the lanyards and my order of around 6 items came to $7 but postage was more than doubble the price of the items Pfffft what gives ?

Also whats with the off centre LED ?

thanks jamie

Kestrel

Flashaholic
LOTS has been written on the issues of using the 10440 in the L0D/LD01. This use of (unprotected) LiIon is pushing the limits, make sure you read up on the available info here on CPF. Good luck,

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
By "lithium" me meant primary L92's, not 10440's.

The way the LD01 is assembled, the LED can't be off by much, and the reflector is so shallow the beam is very floody, so the hair's width you are seeing is rather pointless to complain about.

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't have mine on a lanyard so I can't comment.

Yes, the LED is off centre but on mine it produces a tight, even hotspot so no worries.

Ran mine exclusively on 3.7v 10440 cells since I got it when they first came out. No problems whatsoever. Other threads suggest high on 3.7v is about 150 lumens. Personally, I'd say this seems slightly low, perhaps higher on mine.

A 'protected' cell has a circuit board to stop over-charge, over-discharge and too much current being drawn. It's designed to protect the cell. 10440 cells don't have the room for the circuit board to protect the voltage but they do have the usual vent protection to stop them exploding. Yes, you can use them right away ( Don't know where you heard that one.). Don't short circuit one.

4sevens is a dealer and has to cover his arse. Better to read comments from general users. Seems about half say don't and the other half say fine. After posting that I left mine on charge overnight and it's no more dangerous than a 15 min Ni-Mh fast charger, I got posts suggesting I was putting the world at risk and should be shot on sight ( well, almost ) so I'm not going to tell you what to do. Those that don't want to use 10440's don't and therefore don't have any experience with using them. Those of us that do use them are happy. There were a very few reports of 10440's frying lights but I can't remember there being any examples in LD01's, just earlier L0P versions.

I think AW has a thread somewhere where he sells 2 10440's and a charger for $15 delivered.

And I see you are in the UK. If you are anywhere near Bracknell or Windsor, send me a PM and we can arrance to meet up so you can see mine running 10440s.

Last edited:

Databyter

Enlightened
This is a cool little light, and I must say I like Fenix quality so I assume it is what it is and not a defect.

Just a few points.

This is an 80 Lumen light. 80 lumens is fantastic for such a small light. It doesn't compare to what you would get from a larger light with more power and a hungrier LED.

This is a small light which means it has a small reflector. This affects throw and perceived brightness so the 80 Lumens you get cannot be compared with 80 lumens with a wider more efficient reflector.

Personally I am liking this little light, and I'm guessing it is as advertised.

I think that it wasn't what you expected and maybe you should consider selling it and getting something a bit bigger maybe?

Assuming it's new you could probably sell it easily in-Country (shipping costs).

jamie.91

Enlightened
Don't have mine on a lanyard so I can't comment.

Yes, the LED is off centre but on mine it produces a tight, even hotspot so no worries.

Ran mine exclusively on 3.7v 10440 cells since I got it when they first came out. No problems whatsoever. Other threads suggest high on 3.7v is about 150 lumens. Personally, I'd say this seems slightly low, perhaps higher on mine.

A 'protected' cell has a circuit board to stop over-charge, over-discharge and too much current being drawn. It's designed to protect the cell. 10440 cells don't have the room for the circuit board to protect the voltage but they do have the usual vent protection to stop them exploding. Yes, you can use them right away ( Don't know where you heard that one.). Don't short circuit one.

4sevens is a dealer and has to cover his arse. Better to read comments from general users. Seems about half say don't and the other half say fine. After posting that I left mine on charge overnight and it's no more dangerous than a 15 min Ni-Mh fast charger, I got posts suggesting I was putting the world at risk and should be shot on sight ( well, almost ) so I'm not going to tell you what to do. Those that don't want to use 10440's don't and therefore don't have any experience with using them. Those of us that do use them are happy. There were a very few reports of 10440's frying lights but I can't remember there being any examples in LD01's, just earlier L0P versions.

I think AW has a thread somewhere where he sells 2 10440's and a charger for $15 delivered.

And I see you are in the UK. If you are anywhere near Bracknell or Windsor, send me a PM and we can arrance to meet up so you can see mine running 10440s.

sorry matey im in Manchester lol its a bit far

jamie