I found an interesting light at........

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Compusa!!!!????:thinking::thinking::thinking:. I was at Compusa a few weekends ago and I came across this... (Light on the left)

When I first picked it up, I thought it was a CR123 light. Then I opened up the tailcap, and to my surprise, it took 2 AA's!! This is the thickest AA light I have ever seen. It has a plastic tube in it to accomodate the cells. If you remove it, you can fit 3 CR123's in it (No...I did not try it with that combo!! :sick2:). You can also put a 17670 in it, but you would need a spacer. I would imagine that would work fine. According to the info on the plastic hook it was hanging on, it uses a Cree XR-E and is rated at 136 lumens. It is a very bright light with decent spill and a large hotspot. The finish on the light is decent, but is obviously HAII. It has a few dings on it as it was banging against the other lights on the peg. I like the feel of this light, and the center has nice aggressive knurling just like the D20 in my photo. A pretty decent light for only $25.00! Is anbody familiar with Norlite??

Bachac88

Newly Enlightened
I would think that the LED would be under run. I can;t see it being fried with 2AA's. Probably was a defective unit.

Let us know how your light fares.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would think that the LED would be under run. I can;t see it being fried with 2AA's. Probably was a defective unit.

Let us know how your light fares.

So far mine has worked flawlessly. Maybe the person that wrote the review took the tube out and put 3 CR123's in the light thinking that would make it 3x brighter!!:duh2: He/she could be a mad tinkerer like a lot of the folks on this forum!!:naughty:

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmm I feel like hanibal lecter that will eat the brains out (err I meant the 3V drop-in it houses)

Jay611j

Enlightened
Seems almost every store I go to now sells flashlights! Amazing how popular they're becoming. Went with the Wifey to one of her kitchen gadget stores yesterday, and they even have a flashlight section now. :crackup:

Bachac88

Newly Enlightened
Yeah probably but by the way he spoke he did not sound like a flashaholic who will look to try a mod. I'd probably try it and if it fried would look to mod it with another led. Got a couple of Star Luxeons lying around from previous lites. One was from a crappy Radio Shack version that the 3AAA carrier disentegrated.