Surefire Optimus

LumensMaximus

Enlightened
You requested to be notified when the Surefire UA2 Optimus becomes available. Unfortunately, SureFire's plans for production of the UA2 have been canceled.

I received this notice today, anybody else get this?? :thumbsdow

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
You requested to be notified when the Surefire UA2 Optimus becomes available. Unfortunately, SureFire's plans for production of the UA2 have been canceled.

I received this notice today, anybody else get this?? :thumbsdow

I always thought they canned it for good it a WHILE back - I remember hearing at least 6 months ago that they were stopping development on it and just moving forward on the UB3...

I dont think they could ever get the focus thingy to work...

EDIT: Cant find the thread - am I losing my mind???

Last edited:

RGB_LED

Enlightened
Mike from OpticsHQ let us know a few days ago in his SF preorder thread... http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showpost.php?p=2360703&postcount=136. Considering this project has been going on for just about two years (IIRC), I stopped holding my breath awhile ago.

Good news is that the UB3 project seems to be a go. :thumbsup: Then again, I'm not holding my breath with this one either since they changed the model number and it's also been a long time waiting...

Last edited:

iapyx

Enlightened
No way!
I ain't buying this.

darn, big (expected) bummer.
What to do with the money saved for this light?
Maybe I'll look at other brands.

Patriot

Flashaholic
I saw OpticHQ's post about this but wasn't too surprised considering the time which has elapsed.

I wonder how much actual labor and effort went into this proto in the first place. Was it just a project sitting in a back room somewhere that someone tinkered with a couple times a month, and they just finally remembered to announce its official death? Or was this a labor and money intensive program resulting in various failures and setbacks that turned out to have some sizable enough issue that made it impossible to bring to market?

I guess only a handful of key people at SF will ever know.

Last edited:

easilyled

Flashaholic
I don't see how we can have faith anymore in future SF "new-product" announcements until we actually see the product in our hands.

iapyx

Enlightened
I don't see how we can have faith anymore in future SF "new-product" announcements until we actually see the product in our hands.

Indeed. This may push people away from SF.
Not that they will feel it methinks.
I already started looking for other solid brands.
Except for the LX2... I am insterested, but not yet convinced.
Doesn't seem as solid as the U2(A) which is the only one I have to compare. I just hope they're serious about their UB3.
Although that UB3 is too long.
I hope that I am wrong, but I am afraid we (easilyled and I) are not the only ones who are about to lose faith in SF....

zven

Enlightened

Perhaps. But on the other hand, SureFire may have taken note of all the disappointment at hearing of the potential product and then not delivering. So future product announcements may actually be much more conservative and trustworthy. Although either way, I think many more people are going to be a lot more cautious about their expectations, and we'll just have to wait and see how SureFire do with future product releases.

dandruff

Enlightened
the UA2 made it into one of their catalogues. that was REALLY misleading.

I even preordered one a long time ago thinking its release was imminent, but thankfully the dealer was straightup and refunded me a few months after.

iapyx

Enlightened
the UA2 made it into one of their catalogues. that was REALLY misleading.

I even preordered one a long time ago thinking its release was imminent, but thankfully the dealer was straightup and refunded me a few months after.

dandruff, same happened here.
But... wouldn't it be about time to update your signature :poke:

DM51

Flashaholic
But... wouldn't it be about time to update your signature :poke:
LOL!

As a general comment on the topic, my guess is that there are plenty of people at SF who are just as disappointed about this as we are, and probably just as annoyed about all the other premature announcements and missed launch dates too. Let's hope the marketing and production departments there decide to talk to each other about it at some stage...

Patriot

Flashaholic
:crackup: That's pretty funny, Iapyx. :laughing:

It just goes to show you that we even claim our pre-ordered lights as our own. :)

It's only natural that these pre-orders take place and it's not the dealer's fault that SF didn't deliver. Not that anyone was blaming the dealer but I suppose I was just pointing out that many people are effected both on the retail side and individually when these highly anticipated projects just evaporate.

I'm sure it's as DM stated that there are disappointed people at SF too.

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyways, 200 lumens, multimode and battery life indicator for $250 was too good to be real.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I called surefire an they say its still a go, but its hard to say, i bet i could call back and speak to someone else and get a different answer. I suppose i should cancel my pre-order for it and get a new surefire that's out.

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cancelling the Optimus makes sense. The design was:

1) Too complex
2) Too costly
3) Probably inefficient with loss of light transmission between the different optics.

Keep things simple, robust, and bright!

Viper715

Enlightened
From what we have seen out of Surefire in the last 6 months I would say there product announcments are when the product is available. The las couple of new lights have just appeared on there website with no real announcment. It seems they may have went from one extreme to the next.

Patriot

Flashaholic
I called surefire an they say its still a go, but its hard to say, i bet i could call back and speak to someone else and get a different answer. I suppose i should cancel my pre-order for it and get a new surefire that's out.

Sounds to me like someone may not have gotten the memo.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed...I canceled my order and bought the new surefire A2L.