Replacing Maglite 3D

ksu499

Newly Enlightened
Hello. First off, this is a great website. I discovered it while doing some research into replacing a failed Mini-Mag. I started to just go get one of the LED ones, but then thought the technology must be beyond that by now. Boy, was I right. I read many posts and ended up replacing the Mini-Mag with a Fenix L2T V2 and I love it.

One caveat: put the credit card somewhere hard to reach before pointing your browser at the Candlepower forums.

Now, I need your help. For the last 12 or so years I've carried a 3D Maglite in my Cherokees. After reading the Candlepower forums, I've decided it's time to look at replacing it. It's been upgraded a bit – krypton bulbs from the original incan bulbs, but I'm sure I can do better.

What I'm looking for:
- LED
- CR-123A power (want a long shelf life – it might be used only once or twice a month and I don't want to find discharged rechargeables)
- 2 or 3 output settings (sub-20 lms, 60-90 lms, 200+ lms)
- beam pattern shouldn't be too overly focused – for scene lighting and S&R, some spillover is desired
- traffic-director wand to fit over bezel
- cost <$110

Size isn't a consideration. One nice thing about the 3D Mag is that it fits perfectly down on the left between the front seat rails and the door sill and doesn't move around. It's always in exactly the same place. Once I find a suitable replacement, maybe I'll make a Mag85 out of it. :cool:

Thanks.

Tim

asfaltpiloot

Newly Enlightened
Last edited: