Whats the hype about surefires?

Modderbox

Newly Enlightened
Hey Everybody!

This is my first time posting here so forgive me for asking if this is a stupid question!

I'm trying to figure out whats so special about surefires, I'm not trying to be sarcastic by any means, I understand they're well built and all, but they seem to fall short when it comes out light output.

Is it that everybody here just mod's them and puts in a better bulb/LED?

I have a few flashlights, an Inova T4, a Night-ops Gladius and a Fenix PD30, but when I look at what surefire has to offer, comparatively speaking, they just seem less bright and more expensive.

E.g.
Surefire L1 Lumamax LED
Lumens: 65
Length: 4.5"
Runtime (at max): 1.5 hours
Price: $160.00

vs.

Fenix PD30
Lumens: 235
Length: 4.6"
Runtime (at max): 1.5 hours
Price: $65.00

I don't mean to offend anyone whatsoever, I figure there must be something that makes surefire so special (aside from quality) and I was hoping someone here would be so kind as to enlighten me. (no pun intended)

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Modderbox

What you ask a question that causes civil war here. do some searching, and you will find your answer.

Each light has its strength, so spend some time on these forums, and get to know all the lights, eventually you will be able to decide for yourself.

welcome to cpf!

Crenshaw

vizlor

Newly Enlightened
I've been gone for a while, so any subject is fresh to me...

To answer your question, you are best of buying a SureFire. I suggest trying out an incandescant, because that is what SureFire does best. I'd personally recommend the A2.

Furthermore, a good flashlight isn't determined by it's output. A good flashlight is one that does what you needs, when you need it. SureFire deliveres excellent built quality and reliable functions. While the Fenix PD30 has alot of modes, it also has more things going that can glitch.

Bottom line is, while some manufacturers such as Fenix try to be market leaders at adopting to new technology and maxing out the output, SureFire go for longer product testing and reliability. Most flashaholics love both on their own merits. I'm a SureFire nut but I have several Fenix lights.

If you want further information on this subject there are literarly thousands of previous discussions on this forum.

Saranic

Newly Enlightened
Hi Mod

as above some time on CPF will lead to more knowing.

I'll try to share my point of view on SF.

I have mixed feelings about there customer service but may just be my luck of the draw.

1 holding a SF light is worth a 1000 words but many of the small run production lights in US are the same way(ARC, RA, McGizmo) and much can be said for lights that come out of Hongkong. But I cant say the same with any from china that I have

2 SF does not over hype or over sale the lumens but you will be amazed at what the 65 is

njet212

Enlightened
I have surefire ED2 and Fenix LD 20.

At the first time i also had same question with you so i decide to buy E2D from CPF member ( Bosley ) at CPF market place. When you hold on your you will know the difference. This E2D is much much comfortable on my hand and it's also feel so rugged. I also has 123 light ( Quark 123^2 ), it is a good light also for the price, it is also feel comfortable on my hand but it's as not comfortable as Surefire E2D.

Speaking of output, maybe some SF's light is not as bright as the Fenix, Olight or whatever Good Chinese brand out there.

:welcome:

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since you cannot PM yet - need 2 posts & approval by Mod I'll post a few things;

1. Surefire way underrates their lumen output (see final paragraph), some others overrate theirs (there apparently are "bulb Lumens" and OTF (out the front) Lumens...)
  2. Quality as you've heard
  3. Compatibility - biggest one for me - I can buy LED drop-ins, Incan drop-in "holders" (from FiveMega - for 2 different pin-size bulbs), switch retrofit kits, Li-ion capable bodies (FiveMega / Nite), tail extensions, etc......
  4. Service - only issue I've had is buying 2 (used) L1s with missing plastic lanyard ring - email Surefire - lanyard ring is sent.
I have 3 surefires L1/L2/A2 - non are stock - all modded
I have 8 "P60" (C/P/G) lights, all modded - G series tailcaps now have clicky switches, most C/P series are 18650 (Surefire Bored, Leef or FiveMega) bodies, the C/P incans have AW 3 level soft start switches, the LED (Malkoff or Moddoo triple) have clicky (Malkoff switches are retrofittted twisty).

The only Surefire "P60" size drop-in I use is a P91 in a 6P with 2 Li-ion IMR 16340 batteries. The P91 is rated at 200 Lumens by Surefire in a 9P/D3/Z3 (with 3 CR123s - 9v) - with the high current Li-ion rechargeables I'm using I and giving it less than 9v - but it has been measured by "MrGrman" (spelled wrong) at a CPF gathering at ~380 Lumens - cannot remember whether this was bulb or OTF. Point being, lower voltage, smaller package than intended - rechargeable batteries which Surefire doesn't intend on us using - really rocks. As quite a few folks on CPF "generally" stay away from surefire drop-ins I've been buying the P91 for anywhere from 2/$15 to 1/$20 shipped. Retail price for P91 is $31 plus shipping.

You will find that "search" (I use the advanced function usually) "is your friend" - generally at least your initial questions will already have been asked and there is a wealth of information out there. If it is a current thread you can subscribe to it and get updated emails on the thread.

Enjoy CPF. Lots of great modded stuff out there - particularly in the Custom Buy/Sell/Trade.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
People like them. You should start similar threads asking why people like every other company.

This will be closed very soon.

Short and Round

Newly Enlightened
Just buy one and you will see!! I like the E series the best. Or try the new LX2. I will think you will see the light and not be dissapoionted.:whistle:

njet212

Enlightened
Just buy one and you will see!! I like the E series the best. Or try the new LX2. I will think you will see the light and not be dissapoionted.:whistle:

Agree !!! you should get one !! If you want sum'tin bright my recommendation is ED2L or LX2 :thumbsup:

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think most everybody goes in a big circle on this subject. When they first come here, they're saying/thinking "I'll NEVER buy a SureFire, they're just too much money and not bright enough". Then after sampling all the different mailorder options, and spending LOTS of money in small chunks at a time, they get fed up and end up getting a SureFire after all, and THEN FINALLY they understand why people pay the premium price.

That was my experience anyway. It got to be extremely frustrating that these pricey mailorder lights (not naming names) had such lousy machining. They're BRIGHT, but eventually the crappy threads and such, ruin the experience.

So anyway I think this is one of those things that just has to be experienced, so to the new guys out there, go and start your journey, and begin buying lots of the "bargin" lights, and just remember that when you're ready, there's a SureFire with your name on it! We'll be waiting for you... :twothumbs

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
So what light comes from Hong Kong?:whistle:

Nitecore, Jetbeam, Fenix, Olight, Eagletac, iTP ALL comes from China.lovecpf
Hi Mod

as above some time on CPF will lead to more knowing.

I'll try to share my point of view on SF.

I have mixed feelings about there customer service but may just be my luck of the draw.

1 holding a SF light is worth a 1000 words but many of the small run production lights in US are the same way(ARC, RA, McGizmo) and much can be said for lights that come out of Hongkong. But I cant say the same with any from china that I have

2 SF does not over hype or over sale the lumens but you will be amazed at what the 65 is

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
If one people questions something, the person might be just .... stupid?
If two people asks, it might be just coincidences, but if three or more people continues to asks the same question, I think there must be a reason to it.

So mods, instead of just closing this sort of Surefire threads again and again AND AGAIN...... why not just pin one thread up there?:candle:
Please. not. again. :shakehead:dedhorse:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Its a fair question IMHO. We all have our opinions, if we can just state them "cleanly" without attacking each other these threads would not get locked.

Pros:
-P60 compatibility
-Lego mod-ability
-Fit/feel/finish quality
-Lifetime parts replacement and warranty
-Made in USA/California
-Honest/conservative Lumen output specs
-They are design originators and hold many USA patents

OP, Yes I use use 3rd party drop in modules to increase output, efficiency and Lithium-ion compatibility.

I only own 2 (well maybe 2.5) SF lights, an M2 and a 6P. I use a C2 bezel on the M2, and effectively have a C2. I like these lights for the reasons listed above. I am not really a fan of ANY light (regardless of brand) that only accepts CR123 primaries, so a lot of SF lights remain off my want list for this reason alone.

Last edited:

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
As many have mentioned earlier, it is the quality. Do you know tools? Why spend money on Snap-On tools when you can get Craftsman tools? cause Snap-on is better? but they perform the same function. but one is made better than the other.

Same with cars. and watches. All cars do the same thing yet some cost 200,000 while some are only 20,000. why? better quality.

watches just tell time, but a rolex will last for a freaking long time compared to a timex or casio.

I cant speak for everyone else, but I buy surefires cause LEO and Military use them. if it is good enough for them, then it must be great for me.

fareast

Enlightened
I think most everybody goes in a big circle on this subject. When they first come here, they're saying/thinking "I'll NEVER buy a SureFire, they're just too much money and not bright enough". Then after sampling all the different mailorder options, and spending LOTS of money in small chunks at a time, they get fed up and end up getting a SureFire after all, and THEN FINALLY they understand why people pay the premium price.

That was my experience anyway. It got to be extremely frustrating that these pricey mailorder lights (not naming names) had such lousy machining. They're BRIGHT, but eventually the crappy threads and such, ruin the experience.

So anyway I think this is one of those things that just has to be experienced, so to the new guys out there, go and start your journey, and begin buying lots of the "bargin" lights, and just remember that when you're ready, there's a SureFire with your name on it! We'll be waiting for you... :twothumbs

Yup, I recognize myself in the above! Although, I would have never been here today if I had not bought a nice Fenix first... After a few nice lights tough, brightness is not as important as before.

I too was once thinking, SF?! Never... now however, I am thinking; which one would be good to start with... and I have not even ever held one in my hands:mecry:. It only took me about a year ;). Reasons for me: lot's of fans, endless Lego possibilities, endless drop-in's, haven't tried one.

One warning though, I know if you get one, you'll get more, or so I have heard :twothumbs.

Check out the CPFMP for good deals or 2nd hand SF's! Make sure you register there also since your registration here doesn't carry over but you can still use the same handle you are using here.