1st impressions of my Quark AA²

MK9

Newly Enlightened
Today I opened a box restraining my newly aquired 4sevensQuark AA².
Nice box!! Magnetic closure and slight velvety feel to the box itself. For the most part everyone knows about all the stuff it comes with so I'll bypass that part and just talk about my impressions of it.

After using a Maglite AA² on a daily basis it seems BIG and HEAVY. Good thing I didn't the Olight T25. That thing is even larger. :eek:

While holding it, it has a nice solid feel. Even though it has a smooth bezel (non crenellated) I would not hesitate, if called upon, using it as a self defense tool. Knurling is not bad, but I expected a slightly "grippier" (is that a word?) feel. What really bugs me is the battery rattle. For over 50 bucks I was expecting it to be tighter, but compared to most Chinese products I had my hands on, it is top shelf.:twothumbs

Since this is my first rear, forward or whatever it's called, clicky I did not know what to expect. Well, I would prefer a protruding clicky. My thumb knuckles do not bend enough to comfortably depress for on or switching levels. Maybe I need to do finger and wrist stretching exercises.:sigh:

The pocket clip is very nice!! It slips right into my pocket with no effort, secures the light well. It will slide out smoothly with just a little tension reminding me it's clipped to my pocket. Although, I would not do handstands expecting it to stay put.

That's it for now. Tonight I will play around it the dark here in the shop, in the forest on the way home and at home.

do not

flasherByNight

Enlightened
I think some have sleeved the batteries to reduce the rattle, or stretched out the spring a bit. My 123 is rock solid though :twothumbs

FlashInThePan

Enlightened
Congratulations! They're definitely neat lights. If you like it now, you might like it even more once you discover that 4sevens offers a protruding tactical tail as a $9 option here. Hope this solves one of your issues, and yields the (almost) perfect light!

- FITP

jblackwood

Enlightened
Congratulations! They're definitely neat lights. If you like it now, you might like it even more once you discover that 4sevens offers a protruding tactical tail as a $9 option here. Hope this solves one of your issues, and yields the (almost) perfect light!

- FITP

If you got the regular model, you might want to get the boot kit to achieve your ideal light. Since you said "reverse or forward clicky" I'll assume you don't know the difference.

Forward clicky=When you press the button, the light comes on instantly. If you press it further, you'll hear and feel a "click" which means it has latched on. If you release the button, the light now stays on. Since it turned on before the "click," if you had released the button before depressing it further, the light would have turned back off. This is known as momentary function or momentary on. It's mostly found in "tactical" model lights and the Quark tactical models all have forward clickies with momentary on (momentary on is understood).

Reverse clicky=when you press the button, nothing happens. You have to press the button until you feel the "click." Even when you feel/hear the "click" nothing happens until you release the button, that's when the light turns on. With the light on, however, if you press the button down (not enough to click), the light turns off. When you release it, the light will turn back on. To turn the light off, just press the button until it clicks and release.

Since flashlights have chips in their heads, momentary interruptions of current can be interpreted as a desire to switch modes. Reverse clickies are often used in lights with multiple modes, such as Fenix and 4sevens. There are some exceptions (Dereelights come with a forward switch). If you get the "tactical" tailcap, you'll just have to switch modes with half presses before you latch on, but I just thought you'd like to know what you're getting. Of course, with the tailboot kit, you're in for a little bit of manual labor!:D

As far as battery rattle, I've noticed that Eneloop rechargables are a little bit thicker than primaries (alkaline batteries). They also make your light BRIGHTER! Isn't that worth the investment? It's noticably brighter, which I wasn't prepared for. You can usually get a good price for them at Costco, depending on what part of the country you live. I was on another forum that said that the new Duracell battery packs Costco has replaced in South Florida actually has rebranded Eneloops . . . I'm so on my way to get some!

Last edited:

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't notice battery rattle until now on my neutral one, I'm going to test that tomorrow.

Don't run Alkalines in that. We wonder here, why 4sevens add two Duracel instead of 2 Enrgizer L91, the only primaries you should get in any light. As most people here, I also use LSDs in my duty lights, I get the Panasonic Infinium here, they are about the same as Eneloops (market-leader).

How does your head turn? Mine is very heavy to turn, especially the first time. It is a known problem on the AA-2. I could sand teh o-ring, prhaps it would help, but I don't want to do that, I rarely tighten the head, the light is bright enough on the "normal" modes, so, turbo is a bonus. If the head doesn't turn easily, it won't turn by itself!

Sardaukar

Enlightened
Other than more work install, what is the difference between the
"boot kit" and the "Tactical tail"? :shrug:

I would like to the "forward clicky" on my light.

Boot kit only replaces the rubber boot. There will be no change to the function of your light.

The tactical tail will change your switch to the forward type and allow momentary activation.

jblackwood

Enlightened
Remember, if you turn the light on with momentary and you own a regular Quark (not tactical), if you flash the light within the threshhold for mode switching, the light will come on at a different level each time.

As for me, I prefer the tactical UI and a forward clicky.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone found that the rubber boot kit does very little to make the switch easier to press. It was in another thread that the stiffness of the rubber wasn't the issue, but the switch itself. I noted this as well as the soft blue boot doesn't make it any easier to press with thumb without thumb feeling dislocated to fully press in to switch on/off.

MK9

Newly Enlightened
2nd impressions of my new Quark AA².
Due to the rain and lack of wet weather foor attire, I did not have a chance to walk around in the woods. What I was able to do is go around my bedroom, closet and back yard.

The moonlight mood is very specialized. The only thing I really see it's purpose for is... uh... I don't know. I'm sure somebody will chime on the use a moonlight (.2 lumens) but currently, its purpose eludes me. :duh2:

The other modes on the other hand are quite handy.
3.5 lumens: going through the kids rooms to check on them without disturbing them. We also take long trips and at night when the kids are sleeping the low lumens will allow us (wife and I) to look for stuff or adjust the kids sleeping position without the sunlight like light of the car's interior lights. In the movie theater, looking for seats while minimally disturbing the patrons who were kind enough to get their on time.:whistle:
18 Lumens: Same as prior reference but when the surrounding light is greater. Making my way through the house during a power outage.
70 Lumens: Going through the garage during a power outage. walking around the outside of the house at night checking things out without disturbing the neighbors. Long walks on dark paths where you'll need a light for over a couple hours.
170 Lumens: star gazing, lighting up celestial bodies whilst viewing through a telescope. Well, maybe that part was a slight exaggeration but 170 Lumens nicely lit up to my back fence 35 yards away.
The others: beacon, strobe and SOS don't really apply to any need I have now other than freakin' out kids so I will not comment on those.

Overall: A very impressive light!! :twothumbs

I'm even thinking of looking into trying to distrubute them in my area. And open booths up at sports show and the like.
Any suggestions?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
In my opinion, such a lot mode (moonlight mode) would be great for preserving night vision. It was meant to be very low. 3 lumens seems bright when your eyes are used to the dark.

I'm glad you like it!

MK9

Newly Enlightened
Now that you mention it, I forgot that I had previously read that point. I suppose I forgot about it because in my husband/father/machinist daily duties I have no use for, and so I have never purchased night vision. Although, it would be a pretty cool toy (for me it would be a toy) to play around with. But after watching the TV show "special ops mission" and doing a little research on the night Vision Whiskey Whiskey uses,
$3000 :eek: is a bit out of my budget.

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
low low could be used for say ...if you were in a movie theatre or broadway play or something like that and its dark and dont want to disturb people around you but wanna look through your program guide on the play or maybe check inside the wifes purse for some candy ....then theres always war mode and need light to read a map but dont wanna draw any snipers attention to you lol stuff like that

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since this is my first rear, forward or whatever it's called, clicky I did not know what to expect. Well, I would prefer a protruding clicky. My thumb knuckles do not bend enough to comfortably depress for on or switching levels. Maybe I need to do finger and wrist stretching exercises.

Check out the switch/end cap conversion set from 4 Sevens. You can change the colour to blue and the tactical end cap does protrude.

amigafan2003

Enlightened
I have never purchased night vision.

Lol - I don't think he meant night vision as in night vision goggles he meant night vision as the enhanced vision you acquire over time by walking etc in the dark. I regularly do very long midnight walks without a torch whatsoever - especially over hill tops at night or on white graveled forest roads. Sometimes we even to backwards games of "tag" around the Lake District, so using a torch would signal our location to the "capture" team.

However, whilst I can see where I'm walking easily I can't read a map - the 0.3lm mode is perfect for that. if the lowest was 18lm then a quick flash of that on the map would destroy my nightvision and I'd be walking "blind" for the next 10 mins whilst my night vision returned.

For this reason, I have also just ordered a Quark AA² :)

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Yup, I meant night vision as in better vision at night after you eyes get used to the dark, not the expensive goggles and the such. Sorry, should have been clearer.

MK9

Newly Enlightened
:eek: No apology necessary. I'm still new here. My preceived ideas seem to be different then what is common place here.
But I'll catch on eventually.:thumbsup:

Yup, I meant night vision as in better vision at night after you eyes get used to the dark, not the expensive goggles and the such. Sorry, should have been clearer.

Unclemonkey

Newly Enlightened
I didn't notice battery rattle until now on my neutral one, I'm going to test that tomorrow.

Don't run Alkalines in that. We wonder here, why 4sevens add two Duracel instead of 2 Enrgizer L91, the only primaries you should get in any light. As most people here, I also use LSDs in my duty lights, I get the Panasonic Infinium here, they are about the same as Eneloops (market-leader).

I'm thinking of getting one. Are the L91/eneloops the best battery config for this light?:thinking: