The life of a 5W LS?

kev1-1

Enlightened
I posted this in the L4 thread but got no reply!! Terrible! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Does any one know what the life expectancy of a 5w LS is? i.e in the new L4/kl4? Is it in the hundreds or thousands of hours?

Thank you!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Advertised by Lumileds is 1000 hours at spec... Depending on how hard you drive it (or how soft), you can increase or decrease that lifespan...

Size15's

Flashaholic
You didn't get a reply?
Perhaps there is no answer to your question because you have not given enough information as to you expected usage...

Al

kev1-1

Enlightened
Thanks Falcon FX! Al..I was thinking constant on time, as in 24-hours a day, every day until the average 5w would poop!! Be interesting to see what those who get their L4 soon have to say about it (brightness, colour etc! :)

kev1-1

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
ARC will be using 50k hour 5W LS leds for their LS5

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds good enough for me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
ARCs PG posted that his plan would be to only offer the LS-5 when those 5W LS parts with the removed "portability" feature (aka the only 500h/1000h lifespan bug) would become available. Now as the question was in regards to KL4 and L4 I don´t see that one answered by the comment about what Peter is planning to use for ARC but more interestingly the question is what does Surefire use ? "Portable" 5 Watters with 500/1000hours life span (as per Lumiled spec) or the real McCoy "non-portable" parts where those problems are resolved ? This really is one "nice-to-know" question.

And @ Al - I can only interpret your post in a way that you either didn´t properly understood the question which I have to admit maybe wasn´t 150% precise and coupled with your known "leaning to the incandescent camp" history would be well understood but which should be precisely enough detailed out earlier in this post now - or in trying to cloud the issue that maybe Surefire knowingly is using those "portable" 5 Watters with the limited life span because those possibly are the only one you can get at this point in time - which I even considering your known and well respected Surefire admiration would be over the top at least in my humble eyes.

Klaus

AZMAN

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
FalconFX said:
Advertised by Lumileds is 1000 hours at spec... Depending on how hard you drive it (or how soft), you can increase or decrease that lifespan...

[/ QUOTE ]

OK....I don't understand. What's the point if it will only last 1000 hours?

kev1-1

Enlightened
Well "if" it only lasts 500-1,000 hours, then that was what I was worried about. However, if the kl4 is covered by warranty...then having experienced SureFires first rate customer service that is almost as good as having a longer life LED!

FC.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder how long it takes for degradetion to begin. Is 1000 hrs a "downhill" point or "dead" led mark?

If I can get 500 hrs before led starts to dim, I would be happy.

kev1-1

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
I wonder how long it takes for degradation to begin. Is 1000 hrs a "downhill" point or "dead" led mark?
If I can get 500 hrs before led starts to dim, I would be happy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. Just need one of our resident LED experts to answer that...

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
The lifetime rating for LEDs is typically to 80% of initial brightness level. The LED doesn't blink out instantly, its brightness gradually degreades over its lifetime. Lumileds usually shows between 70 and 80% of initial brightness on their lifetime/brighness graphs at the endpoint of 100K hours (this is for 1W and colored 5W luxeons). Degridation of LED brightness begins immediately, just that the rate of degridation is impreceptable (especially for those rated for a 100K lifetime)

Overcurrent can accelerate the degridation, as well as high junction temperatures (less effective cooling).

Since the colored 5W LEDs still retain their 100K lifetime, it is logical to conclude that the 5W white's low lifetime is due to the degridation of the yellow phosphor (as white LEDs are a blue LED covered in a yellow phosphor material). In reality, after the 1000 hour rating of present 5W whites has expired, you could still expect that the blue LED die beneath the phosphor is still at around 90% of initial brightness, just that the phosphor material isn't "phosphoring", and is blocking much of the light.

The phosphor degridation may be a result of higher temperatures (likely) or breakdown of the chemical due to the release of more photons (just a guess).

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
According to the data-sheets of the 1W and 5W devices the degradion starts right away and at somewhere between 10K and 100K hours the luminous output is degraded by 30-35% - the "portable" 5W device seems to shorten that point of 30-35% loss to the discussed 500/1000 hours but I couldn´t find anything specific on that point in the portable 5W datasheet. I think some of the Lumiled customers should know more on that but might have decided to not talk to much on the issue.

I crossposted with Evan and his explanation is much better - sorry for being late to the party

Klaus