LSH-P – PowerEx 2200mAh NiMH AA and 123A burn test

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thought I would share this with the group. I picked up the MAHA MH-C204F Charger & Battery Kit for 49.00. The Kit included the MH-C204F charger and 8 2200mAh NiMH AA rechargeable batteries, 2 battery carrying cases, AC and Car Adapter.

I am testing these batteries with an LSH-P #118 with the older style twisty 2AA-battery power pack and using the clicky for the 123As. All tests are continuous burns from start to finish. (Finish = first time to go into moon mode) I am setting the LSH-P in a small check box angled up to maximize airflow around the body of the LSH-P. (Head up)

I did the burns with the 123A to give you a direct relationship as to what you could expect if you know what your run time is with these 123A batteries with your individual light.

First Set of batteries - 2200mAh NiMH (Conditioned two times before first test)
1 hour 59 Minutes. First test
1 hour 55 Minutes. Second test (After recharging)

Second Set of Batteries - 2200mAh NiMH (Conditioned two times before test)
2 Hours 8 Minutes

Third Battery - Surefire 123A
1 hour 11 Minutes

Fourth Battery - Sanyo 123A
1 hour 9 Minutes

Conclusion

MAHA MH-C204F Charger and batteries – Overall I am impressed with this Kit. The performance of the 2200mAh NiMH when directly compared to the 123As seems to be inline with what you would expect. I am referring to the burn time ratio compared to the 123As and not the actual run time. As you can see you are getting about 50 more minutes of burn time when compared to the 123As. Projecting this out if you were getting 2 hours with the 123As, I could see you getting almost four hours with the 2200mAh NiMH.

LSH-P - I actually expected longer burn times from all of the batteries. I can't explain why the performance is somewhat lower then expected. The one thing that I noticed is with the 123A burns the light got really hot at first. (Almost to hot to handle) The light did cool somewhat for the remainder of the burn. (Last 25 minutes or so). The 2AA configuration got warm but not as hot as the smaller 123A clicky. (I'm sure the larger surface area has a lot to do with this) The light it self was noticeable brighter during the first part of the burn in all of the tests. When I first tested the first set of 2200mAh NiMH I felt like I might have had a bad battery due to burn time so I did a second burn test with two other 2200mAh NiMH batteries. I also thought that I would get about 2 hours out of a Surefire 123A that's why I did a second burn with the Sanyo 123A. It's my understanding that a continuous burn will sometimes yield a shorter life on a battery but the actual burn time surprised me.

I hope you find this information useful in some way. I would like some advice if anyone has any on how to get a longer burn time. The threads seem relatively clean and lubed properly. Given the high heat and brighter light at first, I'm wondering if there might be a regulation issue with the light. Any thoughts on this Peter would be appreciated.

Just as a side note: Given the amount of heat generated by the 123As on such a small light I can see where Peter is going to have a challenge with the LS5. I am soooo looking forward to getting one.

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: LSH-P – PowerEx 2200mAh NiMH AA and 123A burn

I would if I had the power pack. The Single AA cell is not recommended for the newer LSX-X. Just not enough juice to run it. It would be very short.

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast

I did a similar test earlier this week. I used a cheap Tekcell and missed the exact time that my LSP-S switched to moon mode, but it was between 5 minutes short and 5 minutes over 2 hours. The first set of NiMH were 1600s and went an hour and 12 minutes. The second set were 1800s and went an hour and 28 minutes. The third set were 1950s and went just over 2 hours. I've seen other posts with longer burn times on NiMH cells, but the 123's seem to be 2 hours give or take 10-12 minutes under or over.

One thing is, it's my understanding that holding the light is designed to be part of the heatsink. If you don't hold it, the heat really builds up and I would think that adds to the rapid discharge of the battery. I know that it lessens the overall life of the NiMH. Overheating them during charging or use can reduce your charge cycles to as little as 50 - 100, and those 2200s are some expensive puppies.

I would try another 123 cell and if you get the same results, I would contact ARC.

I don't know why I even got the AA holder. One of the things that I love about the LSP is it's small size. If I want to carry a AA light, it'll be a Brinkmann MadMax+ or a BadBoy.

Good luck with your LS.

CNC Dan

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Lebkuecher said:
I would if I had the power pack. The Single AA cell is not recommended for the newer LSX-X. Just not enough juice to run it. It would be very short.

[/ QUOTE ]

My mistake, I just thought you were using an older LS like I have.

foxalopex

Newly Enlightened

Hmm I have a MH-C401FS charger myself. Maha makes one of the best NiMH / NiCad chargers I've ever seen on the market in my opinion so I'm not surprised you got great results from them. =) Mind you they are kinda expensive but the same can be said of ARCs stuff too. Quality isn't cheap.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have an older rev1 Arc LS and a 1AA pack. I am using Duracell DynaCharge 1800 MAH NiMh. Voltage just prior to beginning of test (no load): 1.29 volts.

Test Begun: 2030 EDT Sunday 22 Jun 2003
Test Ended: 0055 EDT Monday 23 Jun 2003

Ending Voltage: 0.98 volts

Total Runtime: 4 hours and 25 minutes

This is a not quite fresh NiMH, made by Duracell (DynaCharge).

Status
Not open for further replies.