Ft. Hood Shootings

Status
Not open for further replies.

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
I am currently stationed at Ft. Hood, and the whole post is on lockdown, Apparently somewhere between 1-3 gunmen have killed at least 7 and wounded at least 12. Please pray for no more deaths and the families of those that have been killed. I found it hard to believe... but here is a link to NBC and no I don't know anything more than whats on the news...I don't have a TV so I am just sitting tight in my room. Last I heard the incidents are on the other side of post some 5-10 miles away.

Chuck289

Enlightened
This is really horrible news. :shakehead

My friend is an MP and just left Hood days ago to be transferred to Ft Knox.

Vinniec5

Enlightened
This is as of 4:12pm your time, 1 suspect dead 2 in custody. 12 reported killed 30 wounded. 1 of the killed was a civilian contracted police officer. from Fox News. I wish the news was better. glad you are ok

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, this is truly horrible.

The numbers are apparently now at 12 fatalities and 31 wounded. It seems unclear if all of the shooters have been captured yet, or what their motive is/was.

Try to stay safe; thankfully it doesn't seem as if you are in immediate danger.

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
I am currently stationed at Ft. Hood, and the whole post is on lockdown, Apparently somewhere between 1-3 gunmen have killed at least 7 and wounded at least 12. Please pray for no more deaths and the families of those that have been killed. I found it hard to believe... but here is a link to NBC and no I don't know anything more than whats on the news...I don't have a TV so I am just sitting tight in my room. Last I heard the incidents are on the other side of post some 5-10 miles away.

wow- the base is on lockdown- multiple suspects.12 dead- 31 wounded...the news says armed with m16's- not m-4's- older stuff given to base security personell/trainees and MP's- or is the media just ignorent as usual? They keep showing the Warrior Combat Stress Reset Program sign......be safe.

*edit*...CNN changed again
"The slain gunman was identified as Maj. Malik Nadal Hasan, according to a law enforcement source. The source believes he is 39 or 40 years old.
The primary shooter had two weapons, both handguns, he said. "

Last edited:

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow- the base is on lockdown- multiple suspects.12 dead- 31 wounded...the news says armed with m16's- not m-4's- older stuff given to base security personell/trainees and MP's- or is the media just ignorent as usual? They keep showing the Warrior Combat Stress Reset Program sign......be safe.

"The slain gunman was identified as Maj. Malik Nadal Hasan, according to a law enforcement source. The source believes he is 39 or 40 years old.

Some surprises in these early reports (a major?), some details are no surprise at all. The heavy casualties are characteristic of a high powered rifle. The Army has some soul searching to do about officer selection (about which I have experience) after this.

Vinniec5

Enlightened

I was watching Rick Sanchez on CNN wet his pants over saying M-16 over and over to Barbara Starr untill she got annoyed(rightly so) and interrupting her. If i was standing next to him with mine I would be hard pressed not to Butt-stroke him a cpl times with it :poke:srry he just gets under my skin with that childish anti-gun phony BS like he's happy they used them. I would have loved to hear what Barbara Starr said off camera, you could see she was not amused.

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
the building they are claiming is a large open area with anywhere from 200-800 soldiers being processed through it daily...i went through it a few weeks ago....

Roger Sully

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad you're safe SFG2Lman. This is truly sad when you're in a place That is supposed to be "safe" and this happens.

A Prayer for all of the families and loved ones for those who fell..

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
WOW! A Major psychiatrist did the shootings with handguns? Have to wait to get the whole story, and if it was more than him, and motivations.

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2009/11/army_shooting_hood_110509/

An Army psychiatrist was identified Thursday as one of the gunmen in a shooting rampage on Fort Hood, Texas, that left at least 12 people dead and up to 31 wounded.

One soldier, a suspect, was killed and two soldiers were taken into custody, according to base spokesman Lt. Gen. Bob Cone, who added that the three suspects were soldiers.

A Pentagon source identified the shooter as Army Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan; the source said Hasan was a psychiatrist recently reassigned from Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington, D.C., to work with soldiers at Darnall Army Medical Center on Fort Hood. He was killed at the scene.

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
whoa...he was an army psychiatrist who used to be stationed at Walter Reed in in DC? Who is going to want to see the company head shrinker now? Bad news......what is the standard issue sidearm for officers now- Berretta M9 92F model 9mm? This whole thing blows.....

StarHalo

Flashaholic
From the radio source: Major Hasan was fervently anti-war and didn't even want to participate in shooting range drills. He was due for deployment and was very anxious about having to serve in battle.

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
what kind of anti-war guy shoots a bunch of soldiers? someone whos lying his *** off...no antiwar person turns into a mass murderer like that

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Radio source update: Hasan complained that he was being harassed by fellow soldiers because of his ethnicity (despite being born and raised in the US by an upper-middle class family.)

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
lower enlisted soldiers don't have the balls to antagonize a major unless they are REALLY comfortable with each other which would make it in jest anyway, and If where they say it went down is right, he was the ranking person, he shot people that he outranked almost undoubtedly...not to mention, the army really doesn't put up with that any more, you look sideways at someone, you can be brought up on harrassment charges...something isn't adding up, hes been in for at least a couple years (people with a doctorate can come in as a captain)....something just doesn't add up yet

Patriot

Flashaholic
what kind of anti-war guy shoots a bunch of soldiers? someone whos lying his *** off...no antiwar person turns into a mass murderer like that

There's no actual rationality behind the motives of someone with loose screws. They're just mad. sort of like this maniac down in my neck of the woods.

Today's story is a sad shame and really disgusts me. Too bad they weren't able to take him out sooner. I'm not sure of the time frame from start to finish but this doesn't speak well of base security either.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
More update: Hasan began his mental heath career at Walter Reed Hospital, where he was given a poor rating. Over the last six months, he had gotten the attention of federal authorities because of "odd internet posts". He had made every effort to avoid deployment, working his way through the ranks and attempting every alternative.

The two other persons arrested earlier in the day have been released; one person not mentioned in the original events has been arrested.

Something not yet addressed is how one man with two handguns can take down 40+ people - it was mentioned that if security had not acted as quickly as they did, a lot more people would have been injured; this would seem to indicate that Hasan was either armed better than we know, or had an unusual amount of ammunition..

Last edited:

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tragic. It is near impossible to say; 'He was one of us, and it is horrible.' People will draw any line they can to distance themselves, to say"that was an other, "

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
well as a trusted officer in the united states army, its kind of hard to not let him on post without any suspicion of weird activities. He was approved for access, this has nothing to do with base security, and everything to do with not trusting lunatics

Status
Not open for further replies.