Twice the Luxeon twice the light?

zmoz

Enlightened
I'm working on a light with a HD Luxeon and no reflector of any kind. One is quite adiquate to light up an entire room...but what about two? It won't be twice as bright will it? I'm trying to decide if it would be worth the battery drain...

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Compared to the LGI, I do get twice the light with this:

siameselgi-title.jpg

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mr. Bulk, is that because the lux that you use are not "selected" ones? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Zmoz, I also used 2 luxs to light up an area and while the brightness might not be twice, the increase in brightness makes the addition of one lux is so welcome. BUT, 3 luxs are not welcome. Each will only draw a couple hundreds of mA, not quite 400 or 300. I think it was only 200 mA, so the marginal increase only very small compared to 2 lux.

that is my observation. Others might have a totally different ones.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would make more sense for LSs to be placed strategically (spaced evenly) in a room. It's less effective if that same number of LSs are bunched together to illuminate a room...

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
Use SE luxeons for an even spread.
The logical answer to the numbers game is that the more luxeons you use, the more light you have, but the more power you will consume. If it is being used asa fixed installation then you are not going to be too fussy on the size of the battery used.
The percieved brightness may not appear to be double however due to eye response, which is not "linear". The eye's iris will start to decrease pupil size and make light seem less bright anyway. It is really surprizing how much you can see with a moderate torch on a dark night or during a power outage when your eyes are not being assaulted with lots of very bright light sources!

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
True, Falcon. But if the luxs are not of the same color, then if you separate it, part of the room will get illuminated by different color compared with the other side of the room. Certainly, if the color is the same, then the separation of lS will do a great job on illumination

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess it depends on the kind of battery that you are using. Is it able to deliver that much current to power the luxes?

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's too bad Lumileds hasn't come out with an LS in a regular medium base type PR bulb that can be used in a regular socket that's housed in a frosted coating/reflector...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif

PsycoBob[Q2]

Enlightened
Well, you can make your own- several companies make arrays of 5mm LED's for use in exit signs. The plus side of these 1w LED's is that you CAN put them in odd places- like take a piece of drop-ceiling T and replace it with an aluminum T of similar size. Then mount 1w stars every 18 inches, with a single amperage-regulator hooked up to a dimming knob.

zmoz

Enlightened
I'm planning on running them off of 4 NiMh AA batteries. If I connected them in parallel, would I be able to drive them at about 450ma?

OddOne

Enlightened
Mr. Bulk isn't the only one with a double-LED light... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

snake_eyes_fires_up.jpg

BTW, the light output does effectively double with two Luxeons, provided that the beams are properly aligned. It doesn't take much variation off axis to wreck this cumulative effect though.

oO