The "EDC 416" - A New DIY

saltytri

Enlightened
4121956127_bb01337a71.jpg

Most every flashlight here gets a name so we'll call this one the "EDC 416" because it's made from 416 stainless steel. This alloy is noted for good machinability, so it seemed like a good choice for my first stainless light.

The goal from the outset was a small light for general use around the house. In this application, a searing spot can be overkill. A reasonably bright but smooth flood would fill the bill, so a Ledil Rocket M optic was chosen to spread out the photons from a single-level XR-E Q5 powered by an AA. The Rocket has an integral base that was clipped off and then trued up on the lathe so it would fit neatly over the LED. Since the purpose of this optic is diffusion and its surface is pebble-grained, there isn't much point in covering it up with glass to protect it from scratches. Instead, the face of the optic is pushed against an o-ring inside the front retaining ring to achieve a seal.

Stainless is a poor conductor of heat but that isn't much of a problem with a single XR-E. Its other major disadvantage is weight. To keep the light from being a boat anchor, an effort was made "add lightness" by removing as much material as reasonably possible. The body was deeply grooved to take out some weight while preserving enough girth to feel good in the hand. With battery, the weight is 6 ounces. A similar light made from aluminum weighs 4 ounces, so the advantages of stainless were gained with a tolerable weight penalty.

Because the wall of the head is quite thin, it would have been difficult to provide an o-ring seal for the front retaining ring. The threads are very fine, though, and with a heavy application of Nyogel, it should be sufficiently water resistant to do fine at normal surface pressure.

The finish is bright but less than perfectly polished. All the parts were turned with a red Scotch Pad followed by some lapping compound. The head and tail cap were then bead blasted to make the finish less monotonous and to give the head a surface that can be more securely gripped. The result is a combination of appearance and utility that makes the effort worthwhile.

4121949797_2db5639ecb.jpg

4121953735_182faabb88.jpg

Here's a beamshot:

4122724636_b625584317.jpg

Last edited:

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Well done :D

Where do we sign up, as there is certainly a waiting list. And buy the way, what does it cost? I believe that is a design that would sell.

saltytri

Enlightened
Barry, I have lots of ideas to pursue and so little time! My machining skills are about seventeen notches below professional and it takes me an awful long time to get a project like this from the raw stock to finished. But I can see that it would be fun to do a small run of these in aluminum, so I'll kick the idea around.

Thinking out loud: If I can come up with a driver, LED, optic and switch combination at a reasonable price, it would be a lot more doable. An advantage of sticking with an XR-E is that interchangeable Cree optics are readily available in spot or flood. A buyer could get either or both. But the market might demand the newer LEDs. Is 1xAA or 1xCR123 more marketable? What's a fair price? Would the market acccept a polished/blasted finish, i.e., no anodizing or powder coating, something like this:

4123694310_6152d086af_o.jpg

Except, it would look more like the EDC 416.

This certainly wouldn't be much of a moneymaker, I wouldn't think!

Your thoughts and advice, fellow flashaholics?

(p.s.: Barry, did you notice the live center? Royal. You got me again! :laughing: )

Last edited:

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Well done :D

I believe that is a design that would sell.

I agree, very nice looking design! I love the look of the body.

Why no lens? I understand the type of optic you are using but if this were to be a heavy user the optic may not hold up to wear very good over time especially if exposed to certain elements & chemicals. I'm sure the optic is cheap & easy enough to replace though.

Keep em coming! :twothumbs :wave: