IlluminaTi vs. Maratac AAA

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
NOTE: I paid full retail price for both flashlights and the lights were NOT provided specifically for review.

Dear CPF brethren,

I'm holding in my hands the new IlluminaTi with a fresh energizer lithium (thanks Matt!) in my hands!

I want to share some direct, head-to-head photos with the Maratac AAA--the light which is, in my opinion, the reigning champ of AAA. To the shots and then my thoughts will follow...

Photos taken with a Canon Rebel Eos (DSLR) on Manual with the settings locked.

IMG_1762.jpg

The "free gift light", the Maratac AAA and the Illumina Ti!

IMG_1765.jpg

Maratac on Left and IlluminaTi on the Right head on

IMG_1775.jpg

Reference shot of the wall and room

IMG_1776.jpg

Maratac AAA on High

IMG_1777.jpg

Illumina Ti on High

IMG_1778.jpg

Maratac on Low (barely detectable by the camera)

IMG_1779.jpg

IlluminaTi on Low

IMG_1780.jpg

Maratac on High on the Left; IlluminaTi on High on the Right

Impressions:
So, for those wondering, the IlluminaTi is indeed basically a titanium + XP-G version of the Maratac, right down to the shape and even the clip (not photographed here) which is IDENTICAL. In fact, the heads are even interchangeable!

The IlluminaTi is about 1 mm longer but it is negligible. This seems to happen right at the base which now has a real, built-in loop for the keychain attachment--I love it! It's more elegant and seems much more stable than the Maratac option (a clip on). The knurling pattern is different--it actually is very nice and smooth but gives just enough grip, so I'd say it's a win. Otherwise, man-oh-man is this the same light as the Maratac! And, that is a good thing for us, but if ITP (the actual makers of the lights that are then rebranded Maratac, as I understand it) is not in on this, they may be filing for some patient issues...

So, the form is gorgeous: the titanium is beautiful, light and highly-polished. This is a beautiful light. The emitter is perfectly centered on mine which is lovely. The orange-peel reflector is identical to that of the Maratac, but interestingly, the glass on the IlluminaTi seems significantly clearer than that of the Maratac--it may be the AR coating, but it's just invisible!

What about the function? Though the Ti-on-Ti is a little bit grindy, my unit is operable with one hand comfortably. It's not as smooth as the Al Maratac, but very reasonable. I also absolutely love the Low-Medium-High of the IlluminaTi vs. the M-L-H of the Maratac--it's really nice...

Now to the beams...

As you can see from the photos, the IlluminaTi is appreciably brighter and a bit whiter than the slightly yellowish Maratac. Of note, the low is also brighter which may be a turn off for some looking for the lower lows. Both lights are pretty floody so it's hard to appreciate much throw in either, but the better output of the IlluminaTi probably means it would throw a bit farther.

In sum, the Maratac has been my EDC AAA for a few months and is, in my opinion, a truly spectacular little light at a great price. Well, it set the stage and now a younger, brighter, and better-looking competitor has usurped the Maratac by a small but respectable margin.

For me, the IlluminaTi represents the pinnacle of AAA lights at this moment: Tiny, Titanium, with the most efficient emitter out there, and for a pretty reasonable price. If you are looking for a AAA, this is clearly the light to get, though if money is tight, you will not go wrong with the Maratac AAA for less than 1/2 the price and about 90% of its goodness.

I do not yet have my Preon but am very curious about how these two will face off... my sense is that the Preon is a bit longer but otherwise will match this light point-for-point. For my pocket, however, size is critical so I think it is unlikely that the Illumina Ti will be dethroned anytime soon.

Thank you Battery Junction for making this great light available!

Last edited:

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice pictures! The new light seems brighter, yes? It looks nice.

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
Indeed, the IlluminaTi is a brighter by a comfortable margin. Not blowing it out of the water, but it lights up a room with more authority; an incredible feat for a AAA light!

Phos4

Newly Enlightened
i had been waitin for this

seems like the illuminati is the one i will be getting, shiiping too high on maratac.

thanx for the pics and words

sabre7

Enlightened
I read in another IlluminaTi thread that it will also be released in AL too- hope its not just a rumor. If priced comparably to the Maratac & iTP aluminums, it could be the new AAA champ.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
IlluminaTi could be made by iTP/Olight but don't know. I want an Al one as can do without the Ti. Nice looking light in anycase. Cool photos, thanks.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
IlluminaTi could be made by iTP/Olight but don't know. I want an Al one as can do without the Ti. Nice looking light in anycase. Cool photos, thanks.

+1. I want one in aluminum too. Titanium makes for a poor heatsink in that little light. They can call the aluminum version the Aluminati (they are free to use that name).

compasillo

Flashlight Enthusiast
i had been waitin for this

seems like the illuminati is the one i will be getting, shiiping too high on maratac.

thanx for the pics and words

Regarding shipping costs, the Maratac is an exclusive brand from County Comm and they don't ship outside US. However, you can buy it for a very reasonable price and a low shipping cost in this Group Buy (hurry up as reservations end up tomorrow)

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=199773

In the other hand regarding IlluminaTi, shipping costs outside US from Battery Junction are way expensive... (I have purchased a couple of them, though)

compasillo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review Applevision :thumbsup:

I have two IlluminaTi on the way but my feeling is I will go on EDCing my Maratacs as they are the most easily 1-hand operated in the market and fit my liking as no one else

compasillo

Flashlight Enthusiast
or "Aluminati", as others suggested...
But it would be no more than a Maratac with a XP-G.
I hope Maratac/ITP/Olight will develop an upgrade on their AAA models ...

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed that the Aluminati (love the name!) would be the Maratac with an upgraded emitter... still would be sweet since the Maratac is an extraordinary light!:twothumbs

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good review. I feel very much the same about my illuminati.
Great smooth beam, great output, great look.
Gritty threads and a low mode that is maybe a little too bright but just a tad.

BTW, nice living room. :)

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's a lot more quality for the Illuminati in my samples.

My Maratec has a skewed lens. The o-ring is very exposed on one side, and not showing on the other.

My Maratec has a dirty emitter. It's also in contact with the bottom of the reflector, so that some of the square of the emitter is gouged out. The reflector is also very close to touching the test terminals on the top of the emitter. I'm surprised the emitter isn't shorted.

The L>M>H of the IlluminaTi is better.

The PWM rate of the IlluminaTi is 5X that of the Maratec, and it shows.

The plus for the Maratec? The clip is usable without scratching the body, and it's cheap.

olrac

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's a lot more quality for the Illuminati in my samples.

My Maratec has a skewed lens. The o-ring is very exposed on one side, and not showing on the other.

My Maratec has a dirty emitter. It's also in contact with the bottom of the reflector, so that some of the square of the emitter is gouged out. The reflector is also very close to touching the test terminals on the top of the emitter. I'm surprised the emitter isn't shorted.

The L>M>H of the IlluminaTi is better.

The PWM rate of the IlluminaTi is 5X that of the Maratec, and it shows.

The plus for the Maratec? The clip is usable without scratching the body, and it's cheap.

yeah what he said! :laughing:

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
@MattK: Any insights on an aluminum version? :naughty:

I have a sample in my hand...we're still waffling to be honest, the higher production cost will mean a retail of about $30-32 - even with our vastly superior product can we sell thousands of these with so much 'competition' at $20?

Flic

Enlightened
I have a sample in my hand...we're still waffling to be honest, the higher production cost will mean a retail of about $30-32 - even with our vastly superior product can we sell thousands of these with so much 'competition' at $20?

I am still waiting for my IlluminaTi to arrive, but I for one would think that the improved keychain attachment alone is worth most of the difference. The emitter upgrade would certainly account for the rest. Add the L/M/H sequence and higher PWN rate and I think you 'd have quite a few takers. Enough to justify the investment? - That's the question. The product certainly isn't in question though.

Best of luck (and I do hope your coin toss comes up in favour of production).