4-7's Preon 2 current draw

JohnF

Enlightened
Measured (just out of curiosty) my new-ish Ti Preon 2xAAA using the Titanium 800 Nimh rechargeables with a few minutes of run time off the recharger.

Low: 40 ma
Med: 170 ma
High: 1000 ma

1 amp off of 2 AAA's!! Boy it won't last long on high, but is pretty impressive in brightness for a quick look.

170 ma. on medium seems a sweet spot, really good brightness, doesn't heat up, and should last a while.

40 ma. on low is perfect for a reading light in bed or camping, and should last many many hours.

I still can't believe 1 amp on high for a tiny flashlight. I love the beam pattern, the way the broad hotspot melts into spill, perfect for walking.

Sorry if this info has already been posted. Just checked fresh alkalines, identical readings, no surprise.

John F

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Measured (just out of curiosty) my new-ish Ti Preon 2xAAA using the Titanium 800 Nimh rechargeables with a few minutes of run time off the recharger.

Low: 40 ma
Med: 170 ma
High: 1000 ma

Very cool that they did that imo. Like you said, it won't last long but with a couple sets of MiMh's ready to go, who cares. I'm impressed that it can pull that much heat away from the XPG. I suppose that's where the longer body helps though.

JohnF

Enlightened
I just checked again after running 10 minutes on high, still pulling 990 ma. The head is warm, very warm, but not too hot to touch. Feels good since it is about 45 degress out in the garage.

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Great - we could use a few of those around here.

Combined flashlight and handwarmer - I think they're onto a winner there ! :twothumbs

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
So the current draw doesn't drop if you use the 1xAAA body tube? I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact the 2xAAA doesn't double the runtime of the 1xAAA.

JohnF

Enlightened
So the current draw doesn't drop if you use the 1xAAA body tube? I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact the 2xAAA doesn't double the runtime of the 1xAAA.

Sorry, no, all I have is the 2AAA body, all I tested was with 2 batteries ea. of NiMh and then alkalines. I guess the heads would be the same, I'll check when I get home with one battery.

John F

madmook

Newly Enlightened
The max mode on the Preon 2 gives 160 lumens, while Preon 1's max is 70 lumens.