iTP A2 EOS - initial impressions

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received my iTP A2 EOS from Shiningbeam today.

Here are my 15-minutes of playing impressions...

Size-wise, it's just slightly shorter than the Gerber Infinity Ultra

I really like L-M-H mode layout.

On my unit, all of the modes seems just slightly brighter than the equivelent modes on my iTP A3 EOS.

The tint of my iTP A2 EOS is a little bit cooler than that of the iTP A3 EOS, so it could simply be my perception of the tints, or perhaps the slightly larger reflector, making me think the A2 EOS is a bit brighter than the A3 EOS.

It fits nicely in the coin pocket of my jeans.

For folks that have a Gerber Infinity Ultra, the GIU seems a bit brighter than the A2 EOS's low mode, so if you were considering a new light with a lower low for middle of the night bathroom runs, the iTP A2 EOS is one to consider :D

I think this light would be appreciated by flashaholics and non-flashaholics alike.
I think I will order another one of these for my wife to carry in her purse.

The battery on my digital camera needs to be recharged, so here's a quick pic of it with his new buddies:
PC230069C.jpg

From left to right: iTP A3 EOS Upgraded, Fenix L0D Q4, iTP A2 EOS, Gerber Infinity Ultra.

Last edited:

madmook

Newly Enlightened
I am satisfied with the build quality of mine, but wish the medium mode was higher, like the A1.

Although, I tried running it with an AW 14500, and it appears to give the same med and high levels as the A1. The specs for the A2 don't mention the use of li-ions, but the A1 does, and I'm assuming they share the same electronics, so hopefully using a 14500 is alrighty.

The threads remain nice and smooth when using a 14500, which is better than my Quark MiNi AA, which becomes uncomfortably tight when I put
in the same AW 14500.

LG&M

Enlightened
Thanks for the report. The ITP is on my short list. I wish it was available in a warm tint. Do / did you have / consider the Quark mini?

palomino77

Newly Enlightened
Although, I tried running it with an AW 14500, and it appears to give the same med and high levels as the A1. The specs for the A2 don't mention the use of li-ions, but the A1 does, and I'm assuming they share the same electronics, so hopefully using a 14500 is alright.

Does it get hot using 14500 on meduim and high? I myself believe it is the same electronics as A1 but would get a bit hotter because of of smaller head.

madmook

Newly Enlightened
Er, I only tried it out with a 14500 for a very little while, so I didn't see if it got hot on high mode. I doubt it'll get barely warm on medium, though.

I did try out high mode on my A1 (CR123) for extended periods of time, and it gets warm but never too hot to handle. I think the A2 with 14500 should be similar. But I can't say for sure.

I'll try high on the A2 with 14500 in a little bit and report back...

Edit: Alright, gave it a go on high mode with an AW 14500. Holding it in my hand, it gets pretty warm after a few minutes, the temp seems to level off after it reaches a certain point (so it doesn't just keep getting hotter and hotter until it melted), and it never got too uncomfortably hot to hold. Seems a-ok to me. I think it was overall a bit warmer on high than my A1 (I used AW LiFePO4, not the standard RCR123A).

Last edited:

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
One major improvement over the A3 EOS is in the electronics

The PWM is hardly noticeable at all :thumbsup:

Yea I did the shake test on low and couldn't notice the PWM. I got one for a gift to a family mbr and messed around with it some. Seemed like a nice little light. Might get one myself.

jackthedog

Newly Enlightened
I got one for Christmas as well as an A3 and am impressed with both. They both have good useful floody beam and the size is great. I forget I am carrying them both. Haven't been able to compare to the AA MiNi yet because mine is still en route.

So far the iTPs seem great. I would definitely recommend them.

compasillo

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's only a couple of downsides in this flashlight, IMO:
It cannot tailstand and has a poor grip. Otherwise the flashlight is OK

fhenixlynx

Newly Enlightened
I got the A3 iTP 2 days ago very bright,small, very useful.Seems it walked off only to find it on my wifes key ring.ordered a A1 today.!!!!!

LG&M

Enlightened
No the mini doesn't have a clip but it might someday. I would prefer a clip also.
P.S Warren zevon rocks :twothumbs

Zendude

Enlightened
I gifted an A2 and some A3s for Xmas...very nice lights.:thumbsup: For < $25 you can't go wrong.

One thing though, you should ditch the chain. Two of the people I gave them too reported the chain coming apart. It was the connecting loop between the chain and the clasp. Maybe use a split ring instead.

MK9

Newly Enlightened
I gifted an A2 and some A3s for Xmas...very nice lights.:thumbsup: For < $25 you can't go wrong.

One thing though, you should ditch the chain. Two of the people I gave them too reported the chain coming apart. It was the connecting loop between the chain and the clasp. Maybe use a split ring instead.

I second the split ring. The stock fastner comes loose. If I was not on a hard surface I would not have heard it hit the ground.