Long running single AA torch for 3yr old son

amigafan2003

Enlightened
Hi all.

I'm looking for a long running, single mode, single AA torch for my two sons - one nearly 3 yrs old and the other 18 months. They both love my torches and it would be nice to give them their own special torches. Being so young though they'll often put the torches down and not switch them off - it would be nice not to to be charging the batteries twice a day because they have run them down.

I ordered a couple of Akoray K-106's and I was going to program all three modes to be low but I recd the 6 mode non programmable ones instead - so they aren't suitable - in fact, I don't know what I'm going to do with those now - probably emergency lights stored around the house/garage.

So does anyone have any recommendations?

luke_DF

Newly Enlightened
you take "get them while they're young" to the whole new level. you're not going to read them flashlight manuals instead of bed time stories... are you? :)

amigafan2003

Enlightened
The oldest was reading my Quark MiNi manual last night.

And everytime I'm on CPF (or 4sevens website) and he sees a torch he shouts "dad big torch" or "my torch"!

Then when I let him use one half an hour later he invariably comes up to me and says "where my torch go" and we spend the next 10 mins turning the front room upside down looking for the damn thing - which is the only time he bleeding turns the thing off!

It'll be cool to give them a couple of long running lights ready for when we all go camping in the summer - before baby no.3 arrives.

Last edited:

J_Roc

Newly Enlightened
Be careful about him looking into it, it took me a few tries to get my son (4yrs. old now) to understand. I gave him a little AAA cheapo.

amigafan2003

Enlightened
Only runs for just under 1.5hrs on an Eneloop - not long enough.

I'm looking for something like 12+hrs - my Akoray K-106 (the one programabble one) lasts 30 hrs on low.

Be careful about him looking into it, it took me a few tries to get my son (4yrs. old now) to understand. I gave him a little AAA cheapo.

Looking into a normal sub 200lumens LED is going to do no harm at all. Plus, he doesn't do it anyway.

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
So does anyone have any recommendations?

I bought a little cheap (£4) aluminium 3 5mm LED head 2xAA torch from a car shop for my 20 month old son and he loves it.

It's got a rubberised handle too so it's nice to grip.

Because it doesn't put all that much light out the front the batteries have survived him leaving it on, no problems. It's also been rugged enough to withstand him dropping it.

This is from a UK specific car parts shop though so it doesn't really help you, but what I'm saying is: It doesn't have to be anything from a named brand, just a cheapie while they're young and will probably end up breaking them and you can start them on quality lights when they're a little older.

M.S

Enlightened
Well... My 3 year old daughter has her own seoul modded HDS EDC B42XR ;) Runs very long on low level, actually I can't remember when it was recharged last time, probably should do that today.

Second generation inova X1 would run for hours on one charge.

MCFLYFYTER

Banned
My boy will be 2 next month, and he has several. He has a minimag with niteyez drop in and switch, 2Cmag, 2 or 3 cheap 2D's, 2xAA right angle with red filter, novatac 120E and my D10 when he has a chance to snatch it. All AA's are running eneloops. He does the same thing I do, if a battery goes dead, grab another torch. If I give him my D10 turned down much at all, he tells me its broke. I guess i will go charge some more batteries.

Last edited:

T0RN4D0

Enlightened
You should probably be looking into lights without the power LEDs, but rather the small powered ones. That kind of flashlights should last a while and be cheap as dirt too.

Flashaholics_UK

Newly Enlightened
My 3 year old daughter has a Fenix E01.

Wouldn't want her to have anything brighter as although she is sensible enough not to look into it her friends are not.

adnj

Enlightened
+1 on the Fenix E01. My nephews love the old 2xAA Maglites with the 3 LED NiteIze drop in. The total setup was less than US$10, has a twist switch and was used to knock out a loose front tooth by one of my tough-as-nails little nephews. ;)

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
You should probably be looking into lights without the power LEDs, but rather the small powered ones. That kind of flashlights should last a while and be cheap as dirt too.

Agreed. Kids will shine a bright flashlight in their eyes or someone else's. Better to go dim for the kids.

How about a Gerber Infinity Ultra?

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I think I'd start him out with one of those plastic Energizers or Dorcys from Target. Cheap and too big to swallow.

Geoff

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure if I would give such a small child something made out of hard metal, they could hurt themselves if they put it in their mouths. Especially if its something metal and knurled.
I would get them something less than 10 lumens and if possible plastic or rubberized. Unfortunately nothing comes to mind though.
I'm not a parent though, so feel free to ignore me if I'm wrong.