looking to build a R5 p60 module.

aussiebuddha

Enlightened
Hi all
I'm looking to build a p60 module based on a new R5.
could you guys recommend me which driver, and pill/reflector to get and from where?

I was thinking DX/kaidomain if possble something decent at more than 1a

Thanks

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sure. Like you said it's all from dx / kd. Just have a look through the diy sections...
Performance may be a bit better with the reflector with the narrow openning at the bottom (designed for xpe/xpg).
empty reflector/pill modules available.
Remember the 20mm stars won't fit with-out grinding, a 14mm or 10mm engine is a better fit.
Driver depends a lot on your power supply. 1A is decent, if you know what you're about and build it properly you can do 1.5A Ok.

aussiebuddha

Enlightened
Sure. Like you said it's all from dx / kd. Just have a look through the diy sections...
Performance may be a bit better with the reflector with the narrow openning at the bottom (designed for xpe/xpg).
empty reflector/pill modules available.
Remember the 20mm stars won't fit with-out grinding, a 14mm or 10mm engine is a better fit.
Driver depends a lot on your power supply. 1A is decent, if you know what you're about and build it properly you can do 1.5A Ok.

Just had a look, and it seems they dont sell xpg-xpe reflectors or even the LEDS.
just already built modules.

hmm maybe get one of these and mod it out later?

Last edited:

aussiebuddha

Enlightened
you know what.. better leave it for someone else to help me.
The module you listed, might look like it can work, but then again, with kai/DX you never know.
besides I sense, by your 2 posts you're looking either for trouble or to prove that you're da man.
so I'd appreciate you left this thread.
TY

Last edited:

Winx

Newly Enlightened
- XP-E/G reflector from KD. Drilling the emitter hole larger doesn't hurt.
- 1.2A 3-mode 2.8-5.5V driver from Shiningbeam. Two CR123A's works.
- XP-G from KD or maybe LCK Led store. I bought 3 from LCK. Well packed and fast shipped.

Too bad smooth reflector alone isn't available (yet). XP-G drop-ins with smooth reflector are available at ebay but emitter is often off centered. $20 is too much in my opinion even if the emitter is centered.

aussiebuddha

Enlightened
thanks winx, appreciated.

by the way, do you know a driver for XP-G that can take 2 RCR cells?
Also, I wonder, since that driver is also for P4 would another driver for P4 work or i'm just dreaming?

Last edited:

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks winx, appreciated.

by the way, do you know a driver for XP-G that can take 2 RCR cells?
Also, I wonder, since that driver is also for P4 would another driver for P4 work or i'm just dreaming?

Any 1 amp driver will work fine for an XPG, you can go as high as 1.2 amps with out any real problems.
Some folks push farther but you will end up with more heat and less lumens if not careful.

There are only a couple of drivers at either vendor that has levels that will allow for 8.4 volts both should be with in the first few pages of their respective DIY sections. I believe both vendors market them as 1.1amp 8.4 volt drivers with either 3 or 5 levels.

THis is one of KD versions http://www.kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=10184

Dave

Greg G

Enlightened
you know what.. better leave it for someone else to help me.
The module you listed, might look like it can work, but then again, with kai/DX you never know.
besides I sense, by your 2 posts you're looking either for trouble or to prove that you're da man.
so I'd appreciate you left this thread.
TY

There's little reason to be rude to someone that is helping you find the parts you asked for. Yeah, he was a little smartalacky, but it was in defense to you questioning his knowledge.

I wouldn't run this light on 2 RCR's. One 18650 is better. If you want a cheap driver get something based on a 7135. It can be run with one 18650 or two lithium primaries. I don't *think* it will work with RCR16340's (others may know for sure). I have some 1400ma models. If you're nice I'll even send you one.

If you don't mind spending more money you can get a GD1000 from the Sandwich Shoppe. It's a buck/boost. I've used them and they're great for single 18650 batteries.

Last edited:

aussiebuddha

Enlightened
Hi Greg, Appreciate your comment.
However, I do not agree, I was not rude to him, I just politely asked him to leave the thread.
It was quite clear his intention was not to help me or contribute to the thread, but to cause trouble.

I'm quite disappointed something like this happens, as It deflects attention from the actual question.
I'm really looking forward to building this module.

In response to your comment.
I'm really in need for a driver that can do both 1xRCR and 2XRCR as well, since I have a solarforce lego, that I like to play with and use different batteries with.

thanks