Light that is always in Turbo mode?

hk dave

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, want a tac light for my AR. I recall reading somewhere that Surefires turn on to the brightest setting on the first click and Fenix turns onto the lower setting on the first click?

Is there a Fenix that allows you to set it to turn on to the brightest setting always? Like a rotating head that stays set to Turbo?

Thanks!

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Yes, most of the Fenixes will give you turbo when the head is tightened, and the low-medium-high sequence with the head loose.

Most manufacturers offer a variety of different operations on different models: some Surefires do turn on brightest first, but some go low, then high, and others (like the LX2) have a two-stage switch that allows you to do momentary low or high depending on how far you press.

hk dave

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the response!

Good to know you can set Fenix lights to turn on full power all the time. Guess it's time to order that tac light.

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
The TK40 remembers whatever light output setting you last used when the light was turned off. Thus, if you want to use turbo mode immediately, just make sure to leave it in turbo mode when you turn it off.

It does not remember if you turned it off when in a flash mode though. Thus, for example, if you turned off the TK40 in strobe it will not turn back on in strobe. Since strobe is accessed when the light is in turbo mode, in this example, it would turn back on in turbo mode.

The TK40 is a little unique in the Fenix line because it only has a tailcap button to control all light output modes and flash modes. It does not have a twist switch or bezel like most other Fenix lights.

MerkurMan

Newly Enlightened
One thing to watch out for when weapon-mounting a multi-mode light is battery contact springs at both ends of the light. You want to make sure that when the weapon recoils, the battery isn't able to "bounce" in the tube and momentarily lose contact with either the head or tailcap. Doing so in a light that cycles through modes with a momentary "off" signal (most Fenix, regular Quark, etc.) would result in some...interesting, and most likely frustrating, behaviour from the light.

Just some food for thought. :thumbsup: Good luck in your search!

edit: To clarify, you want a light *with* springs at both ends, and NOT one with a solid button contact at one end. Sorry if my post wasn't clear.

Last edited:

hk dave

Newly Enlightened
One thing to watch out for when weapon-mounting a multi-mode light is battery contact springs at both ends of the light. You want to make sure that when the weapon recoils, the battery isn't able to "bounce" in the tube and momentarily lose contact with either the head or tailcap. Doing so in a light that cycles through modes with a momentary "off" signal (most Fenix, regular Quark, etc.) would result in some...interesting, and most likely frustrating, behaviour from the light.

Just some food for thought. :thumbsup: Good luck in your search!

edit: To clarify, you want a light *with* springs at both ends, and NOT one with a solid button contact at one end. Sorry if my post wasn't clear.

How interesting... so Fenix lights don't have springs? I noticed my Surefire E2D does... but i've been thinking about a Fenix or Quark as my weapon light. Anyone know which ones have springs?

tylernt

Enlightened
One thing to watch out for when weapon-mounting a multi-mode light
Emphasis added. The Fenix L1T/L2T has one spring and two "modes", but the modes are not accessed by buttons or by switching the power on/off (they are accessed by twisting the head). The upshot of this is, the battery momentarily losing contact will do exactly nothing on a L1T/L2T as far as switching modes goes.

So, some multi-mode lights will behave badly during recoil unless they have two springs. :p

hk dave

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know if the Fenix Tk11 has been tested as a weapon light while it is "On" and the weapon is firing?

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know if the Fenix Tk11 has been tested as a weapon light while it is "On" and the weapon is firing?

i cannot access youtube from the office but seein as GIYBF (Google is your best friend), i typed in "TK11 weapon light" and up popped this link

TriChrome

Enlightened
I'm still not convinced that any non-Surefire brand can hold up to the abuse a firearm gives the light over extended periods of time (and recoil, and being accidentally slammed repeatedly into walls, and being dropped on concrete and such).

I've had problem with every so-called high-end non-Surefire brand of light I've tried yet (and I'm still young to this flashlight game but I've tried a JetBeam, two NiteCore's, tons of Chinese deal-extreme lights which I wouldn't consider 'high-end', and have tried on weapons many other brands my friends own). Besides Surefire, nothing else has worked every single time without fail.

Videos on YouTube about flashlights really do nothing for me without extended trials being done with these non-Surefire brand lights. I hate to sound like a sourpuss here, and I literally don't currently own a single Surefire (sold them all recently) so I'm not a fanboy of them, but when talking about firearms it can literally be a life and death situation, and I would never trust anything but a Surefire simply because it has been abused on weapons by soldiers for years now and has the great reputation that goes along with this.

All this may be a mute point if this gun is for recreation, and will never be used for self defense or other dangerous situations like that, but I thought I'd add my two cents.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
I'd pay an extra 10 bucks if my Quark Mini were available in High only. I hate twist on twist off twist on twist off twist on just to get to high.

hk dave

Newly Enlightened
I'm still not convinced that any non-Surefire brand can hold up to the abuse a firearm gives the light over extended periods of time (and recoil, and being accidentally slammed repeatedly into walls, and being dropped on concrete and such).

I've had problem with every so-called high-end non-Surefire brand of light I've tried yet (and I'm still young to this flashlight game but I've tried a JetBeam, two NiteCore's, tons of Chinese deal-extreme lights which I wouldn't consider 'high-end', and have tried on weapons many other brands my friends own). Besides Surefire, nothing else has worked every single time without fail.

Videos on YouTube about flashlights really do nothing for me without extended trials being done with these non-Surefire brand lights. I hate to sound like a sourpuss here, and I literally don't currently own a single Surefire (sold them all recently) so I'm not a fanboy of them, but when talking about firearms it can literally be a life and death situation, and I would never trust anything but a Surefire simply because it has been abused on weapons by soldiers for years now and has the great reputation that goes along with this.

All this may be a mute point if this gun is for recreation, and will never be used for self defense or other dangerous situations like that, but I thought I'd add my two cents.

Do you think the surefire quality goes for all of their lights? Even their cheaper G2 and P6 lights?

I like the idea of a light with lower Lumens that runs longer.... but i wonder if those two lights could handle the recoil of a 308 or 12 gauge slug.