Nizn Batteries in Mini Mag AA & Fenix TK40

BT132435

Newly Enlightened
So i recently got some Powergenix NiZn AA batteries to play with. I put them in a AA mini mag and wow, it is much brighter and whiter compared to using NiMh batteries. I still haven't tried using them in the Fenix TK40 yet. I'm not sure if i should as it might fry the light, can anyone comment on this?

Magic Matt

Enlightened
When I asked about them for mine, I was told that they can be up to 1.8V or even slightly higher fresh off the charger, and that 1.65V is their nominal voltage. As a cumulative voltage, that could be a little higher than the TK40 is happy with, so I decided not to risk it.

Being a regulated light, I don't think there's anything to gain in terms of brightness. Is their capacity significantly higher than a good NiMH?

gunga

Flashaholic
I think I saw your post about these batteries in another thread.

This should be a nice alternative for boost circuits that is safer than 14500 and provides more output than the typical nimh.

Can you provide more details about the batteries etc? Where did you get them and any other relevant data.

THey seem like a nice option for AA lights.

Elliot

Newly Enlightened
I am also interested in these NiZn batteries in LED lights. However, I really would like to see actual output/runtime graphs for a few common lights, comparing them to eneloops and energizer L91. The reason why is that when I look at the eneloop vs energizer lithium graphs - eneloops seem to be be brighter and better regulated than the lithium primaries after a few minutes. The lithium primaries have a Great advantage in runtime. So, just a bump in voltage may not be all that wonderful - we need graphs!

Larbo

Enlightened
Quote from 47's site, Alkaline, Ni-MH compatible. Do not use Energizer Lithium AA cells for this light. I questioned them about this and was told the voltage was too high for the light. If the Nizn cells are that high they probably shouldnt be used either.
Perhaps the real reason for this is what happens when someone that doesnt know + from - installs lithium batteries in it. :poof:

BT132435

Newly Enlightened
Yea i figured they'd be too high, with 4 batteries in series its about 1.6v higher than NiMhs. But so far these batteries seem pretty amazing. They're lighter than NiMhs by a good amount. I don't have any sort of testing equipment for output or throw so i can only eyeball it. I ran 2 in series for a mini mag for about 15 minutes already and the output hasn't changed much if at all. I also put one in a Quark MiNi AA, and there was an appreciable boost in output compared to NiMh. I got them at amazon for about $25 by the way, it was the 1hr charger + 4 AA's package. Don't get the 5hr quick charger combo! That charger is just a crappier version of the 1hr charger.

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive got the same batts (from amazon) and have been using them in
my Brunton L3 headlamp (4aa) and getting good runtimes and
a little bump in brightness similar to the engergize lithiums..
I like em

BT132435

Newly Enlightened
Good to hear about another satisfied customer. I don't understand why it isn't too popular amongst flashlight enthusiasts here though, its a great alternative to lithium AA's.

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good to hear about another satisfied customer. I don't understand why it isn't too popular amongst flashlight enthusiasts here though, its a great alternative to lithium AA's.

For a few purposes, it is -- namely overdriving AA-powered incans and resistored LEDs, and possibly kicking some boost circuits a little higher. But the main attraction of Lithiums, IMHO, has been their greater energy capacity and temperature range -- and NiZns are no better than LSD NiMH that way (AFAIK -- but not sure on temperature).

That said, there's possibilities for them in hotwires, where primaries generally see no use; different voltage per cell means different bulb options for a given size host. Perhaps the uncertainlty of pack-charging (they need CC/CV to 1.9V, with balancing taps) in many hobby chargers is why they haven't taken off there...

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have also been using nizns in my MM led, and like the jump in performance. Draws around 700ma now, so it is significantly better than nimh.

BT132435

Newly Enlightened
All right so i no longer recommend the NiZn batteries for the MiniMag AA. Because the voltage is so much higher, it burns out the stock bulbs in about 1-2 hours. And i would imagine the MiniMag AA Xenon bulbs would not fair any better since they run closer to their voltage limit than the Krypton bulbs.