New Nitecore SmartRing Lights?

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
A friend let me borrow his NiteCore SR3, and I have to say, it is an Awesome light!

Extremely well built, very easy to use with one hand, has a "needle grip" that I like, and the bezel is very big and deep for a small light, giving it a nice deep throw. And don't even get me started on that Stainless Steel Bezel, it is PERFECTION!

However, for my purposes, I like the size and shape and weight of the Nitecore Extreme, and I was hoping Nitecore would introduce a SmartRing version of the NiteCore Extreme.

So, has anyone heard of any rumors about a SmartRing version of the NiteCore Extreme?

Of course there is always the JetBeam RRT-0

TriChrome

Enlightened
The lights are different sizes despite using the same exact power source because the smartring takes up that much more room. It's going to be unlikely that they shrink it down to the size of a NiteCore Extreme.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks,

Has anyone heard of any updates to the SR3? I dion't want to spend a hundred bucks plus for a light, only to find out that there is a new model coming out!

Moonshadow

Enlightened
The SR3 is the SmartRing version of the Extreme.

The ring adds the extra size and bulk, otherwise it's a very similar configuration - single CR123, tailcap clicky, XR-E R2 with 220 Lumens.

If you take an Extreme and bung a SmartRing on it, the SR3 is pretty much what you get.

zoelou

Newly Enlightened
Nitecore extreme 4920 lux

Nitecore SR3 8730 lux for the same runtimes ;)

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, they took the opportunity to put in a bigger reflector.

The smaller alternative to the SR3 is the Jetbeam RRT-0. I have both and like both, but the RRT-0 is more EDC-able. I carried the SR3 in my coat pocket for a while, and it is a nice thrower. See my comparison of those two and the SureFire U2A in the reviews section for some more details.
Nitecore extreme 4920 lux

Nitecore SR3 8730 lux for the same runtimes ;)

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, they took the opportunity to put in a bigger reflector.

The smaller alternative to the SR3 is the Jetbeam RRT-0. I have both and like both, but the RRT-0 is more EDC-able. I carried the SR3 in my coat pocket for a while, and it is a nice thrower. See my comparison of those two and the SureFire U2A in the reviews section for some more details.

Yea, the SR3 is an AWESOME light, the more I looked at it, the more I liked it, but it is a little big for an EDC. And the bigger, deeper reflector makes for a really nice long throw.

Now I did find that the Ripoffs CO - 193 holster fits the SR3 very nicely, making it much more manageable as an EDC.

However, since my main use for an EDC is up close (say anywhere from 2 feet to 30 feet), I actually prefer the wider beam of a narrower, more shallow reflector.

The SR3 would be a great EDC if you needed to use it outside, for longer distances.

I was seriously considering the Jetbeam RRT-0, and I started looking at the Novatac / Ra Lights too.

Oh, my current EDC is a Nitecore Extreme, and overall it is a very nice light (I use the Ripoffs CO - 192) holster and it fits the Nitecore Extreme perfectly!

However, I do not like having only a Hi-Low option and actually diming or brighting the light while actually needing the light is awkard at best, and sometimes, without meaning to, I activate the STROBE function, buy that is annoying!

Overall I have been happy with my Nitecore Extreme light, and was very impressed with the SR3 (except for the size) so I was hoping that Nitecore would be coming out with a SmartRing version of the Extreme.

Thanks for the imput!

"Blindasabat" I will check out your reviews on the three lights in the review secion!

Niconical

Enlightened
Thanks,

Has anyone heard of any updates to the SR3? I dion't want to spend a hundred bucks plus for a light, only to find out that there is a new model coming out!

$60 shipped, use discount code NITECORE50 :)

gbelleh

Newly Enlightened
I have the SR3 and RRT-0. The SR3 is a nice, solid light, but the Jetbeam's ring is much smoother and more manageable. IMO, the Nitecore's ring has too many positions, and doesn't turn or lock into position as smoothly and positively as the Jetbeam. The RRT-0 also doesn't flash when changing ring positions, and there's no strobe to accidentally activate. The RRT-0 throws very well, and mine has a great beam with a nice, pure white tint. It's also much less bulky than the SR3 and is very nice for EDC. I still like the SR3, but IMO, Jetbeam definitely did a better job with the selector ring. I'd highly recommend the RRT-0 if you want a smaller selector ring light.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was really thrilled when the SR-3 came out at got one immediately. The selection ring is great, the built quality is exceptionnal, the beam is throwy and bright. I also like the ss-bezel, it gives the light a special touch, it gives actually each light a special touch.

Unfortunately, there is the strobe-bug, which can't be removed. I'm a perfectionnist and the probability of getting strobe where I expect high has lowered my thrill dramatically.

According to Nitecore, the bug is inherent to the selection ring, if they can't build a bug-free system and stick to the (in my eyes unnecessary) strobe, there may be no more such lights. If there will be, they won't be much smaler than the SR-3.

Lately, I played around with the light trying to forget the strobe bug and it worked, I re-discovered the SR-3. Today I found an 18650 body for it, that will make it even more special, allowing decent runtimes. :party:

DigMe

Enlightened
I sold my SR3 because it didn't really fit anywhere in my lineup of lights. It's a bit too bulky for a 1x123. If I'm going to carry something that size I'll just carry my P20C2 which is brighter with better throw and runtime. Not to mention a little skinnier albeit a tad longer. I carry Preon for EDC. Next time I go for a 1x123 it will be something much smaller like a Quark Mini or an ITP A1. Having said that it's a gorgeous light and an absolute tank.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also like the ss-bezel, it gives the light a special touch, it gives actually each light a special touch.

ABSOLUTELY! The Stainless Steel Bezel on the SR3 is a real nice touch! I have a NiteCore Extreme that also has a SS Bezel, and it really makes the light look cleaner and more professional.

I mean, if you are going to spend this kind of money of a light, why not make it look as good as it can!

DigMe

Enlightened
Maybe just clearing out for new models or something? I can confirm that there is nothing wrong with the lights. I bought an SR3 from them.

brad

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe just clearing out for new models or something? I can confirm that there is nothing wrong with the lights. I bought an SR3 from them.

brad

The SR-3 doesn't sell well as it is very expensive for 120$ and it has a built-in bug.

I guess the mail reason at 47s is cleaning out though, there were fifferent discounts on nearly all Nitecores and all are gone, except the SR-3 (last time I looked yesterday).

BigD64

Enlightened
On my SR3 the Strobe function works intermittently. But I used the 50% code when I bought it so I don't have an issue with it. There were additional codes for other Nitecore lights but they were limited to stock on hand and are now sold out. (I really wanted an Infinity Golden Dragon but they went quick.) Subscribe to 4 7's email alerts and keep an eye out for the bargains.

DigMe

Enlightened
I didn't notice any problems with my strobe when I had mine. It worked as designed.

brad