current brightest AAA light?

Magnumpy

Newly Enlightened
hi all. I currently use a Fenix LD01 for EDC but need something brighter. this is for carry on my keychain for use in maintenance work in those instances where I don't have immediate access to a better light (doesn't happen every day but the situation does come up occasionally). to be used for momentary illumination of a small area for ~1 minute. An extreme low isn't necessary, but it must have the ability to come on in the brightest mode immediately (this is one of my big issues with the LD01).

I got a Fenix LD10, and while it is bright enough for my purposes it is IMO a little too large to have in my pocket all day every day. I was considering a LiteFlux LF2XT with 10440 battery but would appreciate any alternative suggestions. thank you lovecpf

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a Fenix LD10, and while it is bright enough for my purposes it is IMO a little too large to have in my pocket all day every day. I was considering a LiteFlux LF2XT with 10440 battery but would appreciate any alternative suggestions. thank you lovecpf
Isn't a LiteFlux LF2XT even larger?

blub

Enlightened
I like my Illumina Ti 3 speed, order it with high, medium, low or low, medium, high.

I regularly use several small EDC lights that might be useful to you. In no particular order:

1. Fenix P1D CE Q5 (or its current incarnation, as shown on the company website). Easily available, and a single CR123 primary cell will likely power the light for at least a year, based on your stated use pattern. Twisty switch; mode progression is medium-high-low. If memory serves, OTF output in the three modes is about 95 lmn / 165 lmn / 10 lmn. (Sorry, no warranty on the accuracy of my memory, but I'm confident that I'm pretty close to the mark on this.) About $55-$65, depending on where you buy.

2. NiteCore EZ-AA. Produces about 140 lumens or thereabouts, using one AA primary cell. It can handle a 14500 li-ion rechargeable, but the heat buildup will make you nervous for the emitter. About $55. If you want more power, see the next light.

3. Peak, model "El Capitan" HA III. If you really want a small pocket light that produces a huge flood of light (about 200 OTF lumens or thereabouts), this is the light for you. It happily accepts a single AA alkaline, AA lithium primary, or 14500 li-ion rechargeable cell, but you'll need to use the 14500 to produce the maximum light output.

4. Finally, both MaraTac and itp each produce a AAA light that generates about 80 lumens on high, using a single AAA alkaline cell (slightly more output using a lithium primary cell). The MaraTac is only slightly larger that the cell powering it. It's featherweight at about 15 grams, and relatively inexpensive at about $20.

I hope you find what you're looking for.

Last edited:

pc_light

Enlightened
The latest mini-AA offerings (Nitecore EZAA and Quark Mini-AA) are not much bigger than the old AAA sized lights, something to consider.

I recently switched my keychain light from AAA to mini-AA, see below -

pc

Last edited:

Warp

Enlightened
I regularly use several small EDC lights that might be useful to you. In no particular order:

1. Fenix P1D CE Q5 (or its current incarnation, as shown on the company website). Easily available, and a single CR123 primary cell will likely power the light for at least a year, based on your stated use pattern. Twisty switch; mode progression is medium-high-low. If memory serves, OTF output in the three modes is about 95 lmn / 165 lmn / 10 lmn. (Sorry, no warranty on the accuracy of my memory, but I'm confident that I'm pretty close to the mark on this.) About $55-$65, depending on where you buy.

2. NiteCore EZ-AA. Produces about 140 lumens or thereabouts, using one AA primary cell. It can handle a 14500 li-ion rechargeable, but the heat buildup will make you nervous for the emitter. About $55. If you want more power, see the next light.

3. Peak, model "El Capitan" HA III. If you really want a small pocket light that produces a huge flood of light (about 200 OTF lumens or thereabouts), this is the light for you. It happily accepts a single AA alkaline, AA lithium primary, or 14500 li-ion rechargeable cell, but you'll need to use the 14500 to produce the maximum light output.

4. Finally, both MaraTac and itp each produce a AAA light that generates about 80 lumens on high, using a single AAA alkaline cell (slightly more output using a lithium primary cell). The MaraTac is only slightly larger that the cell powering it. It's featherweight at about 15 grams, and relatively inexpensive at about $20.

I hope you find what you're looking for.

Yes.

http://goinggear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_19&products_id=254

The upgrade version has a low and a medium as well, but when you turn it on the order is medium>low>high, so the basic version that only has high would suit you better. You have probably seen it mentioned on here a time or ten. It is not much smaller than the LE01, well, it IS smaller (shorter) and brighter. They don't really get any smaller than this with a AAA. What's not to like?

I have a P1D-Q5 that can usually be found on my keychain. It is much larger than a single AAA light, though.

Last edited:

dbhn

Newly Enlightened
My current EDC is an ITP AAA standard head legoed with the forward clicky tail of the Streamlight Microstream. It is a tiny AAA with momentary on, about 80 lumens.

Less than $40 to put together.

Absolutely perfect in my opinion.

Magnumpy

Newly Enlightened
thank you all for the suggestions. you have certainly given me a lot to think about :popcorn:

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast

LF2XT is an excellent choice. It's one of the few AAA lights that could use 10440 officially and has full programmable capability with the choice of a simple UI or a complicated one. AFAIK, this is the only AAA light that has a battery level indicator. And of course, it's a clicky. ;)

If you're open to a compact AA , the 2 popular ones are EZ AA and MiNi AA. I suspect MiNi AA is the favorite here but I prefer the UI of the EZ AA since I can quickly access to Hi (quick twist all the way) and Lo (twist till it's lighted). However, MiNi AA is using the lastest R5 emitter, has hidden mode options like strobe, SOS etc and also available in titanium for your keychain duty..

kts

Enlightened
That EZAA looks so thin that I could squeze it between 2 fingers, and its a battery chrusher :thumbsdow

The Fenix shown beside it, will survive being run over by a truck :twothumbs

Go for the Fenix LD01 R2, its a proven and reliable flashlight.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
That EZAA looks so thin that I could squeze it between 2 fingers, and its a battery chrusher :thumbsdow

Bet it wouldn't squeeze with a battery installed. And, used gently it really doesn't crush the battery. I agree the Fenix is much stronger, but far less pocket friendly. Both good lights from my experience.

Geoff

MojaveMoon07

Enlightened
If anyone owns both the iTP A3 single stage and three stage lights, could you tell me which one has a high mode that is visually more pleasing ... in terms of aesthetically pleasing , better illumination, looking less harsh, etc.

Based on the outdoor beamshots (link) from HKJ, I like the iTP single stage more because the iTP three stage on high looks a bit too bright in the middle:

iTP three stage (link)

iTP single stage (link)

Last edited:

SixM

Newly Enlightened
Yes.

http://goinggear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_19&products_id=254

The upgrade version has a low and a medium as well, but when you turn it on the order is medium>low>high, so the basic version that only has high would suit you better. You have probably seen it mentioned on here a time or ten. It is not much smaller than the LE01, well, it IS smaller (shorter) and brighter. They don't really get any smaller than this with a AAA. What's not to like?

Good call here on the ITP standard.....run a 10440 in there and you'll get your brighter light need fulfillment.....and then some.
I suggest the 10440 only because of the OP's need for about a minutes worth of brighter light, and the fact the other members here have been using this combo on a somewhat limited basis. No bad results so far and that includes myself. The Maratac/ITP have a little bit better beam profile too, (compared to the latest LD01) great for short range work. HTH

SixM

Newly Enlightened
If anyone owns both the iTP A3 single stage and three stage lights, could you tell me which one has a high mode that is visually more pleasing ... in terms of aesthetically pleasing , better illumination, looking less harsh, etc.

Based on the outdoor beamshots (link) from HKJ, I like the iTP single stage more because the iTP three stage on high looks a bit too bright in the middle:

iTP three stage (link)

iTP single stage (link)

I don't own the single stage light, so I can't compare the two. I really do not see that much difference myself, but, if you had the 3 mode, and you thought the hot spot on it was too bright, you'd still have a medium and low to use.

I have a Maratac and ITP stainless, and they are great, beautiful, little lights, with perfect beams for inside work IMO. I like the Maratac better of the two because I love fully knurled lights, especially when they're this small. I also think it looks better, although I don't care for the keychain stud on the ITP, I filed mine off matter of fact. I like my lights to be able to tailstand.

MojaveMoon07

Enlightened
I don't own the single stage light, so I can't compare the two. I really do not see that much difference myself, but, if you had the 3 mode, and you thought the hot spot on it was too bright, you'd still have a medium and low to use.

I have a Maratac and ITP stainless, and they are great, beautiful, little lights, with perfect beams for inside work IMO. I like the Maratac better of the two because I love fully knurled lights, especially when they're this small. I also think it looks better, although I don't care for the keychain stud on the ITP, I filed mine off matter of fact. I like my lights to be able to tailstand.

Thank you
icon14.gif

carrot

Flashaholic
I'm really happy with the Preon 2, which takes 2AAA, has a click switch, and is about 160lm out the front. Its smaller sibling, the Preon 1, takes 1AAA and is 70lm.

WebWalker

Banned
Hi dbhn
Your use of the forward clicky tail of the Streamlight Microstream on the ITP would solve my problem.
Would it handle the 3 modes, and off, of the advanced model?
tia

dbhn

Newly Enlightened
I only have the ITP standard so I am not sure. I remember threads talking about mating the LOD with Microstream but not sure if the modes worked or not.