NiMH AA batteries in which flashlight??

AdrianS

Newly Enlightened
If I wanted to use nimh AA batteries in a flashlight, which one should I look at?
MagLite LED?
Another?

Features need to be :
Rugged (atv use)
Budget (I can't afford an expensive light)
Brightness

how2

Enlightened
Why don't you get a Romisen RC-A5-Q5 Cree.

It can take aa and Li ion 14500 for more lumens. This is a good quality budget brand. only $16.63. 3mode .

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go to shiningbeam.com and check out the romisens and the itps, both a very respectable budget brands with a number of good AA options.

You can also find alot of the romisens on dealextreme.com, but shipping is slower and quality assurance is far worse.

I personally recommend the Romisenc RC-N3 and RC-29.

The Fenix E20 might also be worth a look.

bfksc

Newly Enlightened
If I wanted to use nimh AA batteries in a flashlight, which one should I look at?
MagLite LED?
Another?
Features need to be :
Rugged (atv use)
Brightness
The MiniMag LED is not that bright compared to many of the better brands. You get what you pay for applies to flashlights. Up here in Canada the MiniMag LED sells for $25 and a better flashlight costs twice as much or more. However, the more expensive lights have much better light output, better beams (spot and spill), and better runtimes. For instance, the Quark AAx2 has twice the light output in High mode and runs for 5 hours compared to the Mini which runs for 3 hours. Mag has a newer version which uses the Rebel emitter which is a bit brighter and runs a bit longer, but it still doesn't match a good flashlight for output and runtime as they have been updated with newer emitters that are brighter and more efficient too.

If you need a lot more output, lights like the Quark can run in Max output mode which gives it 5x the light output compared to the MiniMag at the expense of shorter runtime of about an hour. I'm biased toward the Quark line since I own one, but it's an excellent light and comes with lots of goodies like a holster, lanyard, handgrip, and even shipping and taxes all included in the price. Other brands can be found for less at the expense of features and/or performance, but there are lots of lights out there and I'm sure you can find one that meets your price range and performs well.

Maybe check out some of the AA reviews and see what's available. Several months ago I would never have thought about replacing my MiniMag LED or my big MagLED 3D light, but the small Quark AAx2 has replaced BOTH lights. Given that the two Mags cost me the same as the Quark, it only makes sense to spend more and get a better light.

Good luck!

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
If he's going to go to the expense of 14500 Li-ion's, and a good charger, he may as well save some cash, pick up a nicer lights ( I suggest Quark or Fenix) and some duraloops (White-topped duracell rechargeable cells) and a 15 minute charger?

YayILikePie

Newly Enlightened
A Terralux Lightstar 220 EX might fit the bill. The two modes it has are quite useful. Very bright high, and useful indoor low. It also comes with a holster and pocket clip.

I think he wants to use AA batteries not 18650.

Congrats on 100 posts.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
MagLite LED?
Another?

Features need to be :
Rugged (atv use)
Brightness
At regular price, the Maglites can be a bit expensive. The lowest regular price is about $20 at Home Depot (somtimes on sale at HD or Lowe's for ~$10). If you can get access to Costco, they have a twin pack 2AA and 3D for $30 that is a much better deal.

http://www.smartdeviceresource.com/device-reviews/maglite-led-flashlight-review-and-guide/

I personally prefer Maglites because they come with lifetime warranties and they're a large manufacturer, and the advantages of that definately shows in their customer service. I won't want to buy a Fenix, for example, because chances are you will end up needing to use the warranty, and they are all the way across the Pacific.