A do-all camping light/what's your pick?

chaoss

Enlightened
Well camping season is coming up and i am once again in search of the do-everything light. A little throw on high/a little flood on low.

My only criteria is a single CR123 format & tailstand ability.

Just looking for input/ideas.

Thanks lovecpf.

Brigadier

Enlightened
How much throw? Are we talking a search light?

My recommendation is a NovaTac 120T w/ a P style tail cap. CR123, RCR123, My 85T will throw at least 150 feet on high, has a wonderful beam, and low is .3 lumens.

Databyter

Enlightened
I have a P1D that would fit the bill.

Theres probably alot better out there, but I don't own them in the single cr123 form factor you asked about.

2 cr123's would get you a P3d another good choice with a low low.

Neighter of these lights is very floody but they have, as somebody stated in another thread about another light, usable spill.

The P1D is bright enough for good illumination on walks, I believe the new version of it has a lower low for longer candle sitting.

Fenix doesnt make P1D anymore and I forget what the new one is called that is basically the same thing, a bit improved I suppose.

sqchram

Newly Enlightened
2 Quark Mini 123 (or reg single 123)

Why 2? They're cheap so get two, they're small, you can clip them or wear around the neck, and two are better than one so you can keep one on the table/in the tent, and the other on you when foraging around for berries at night cause you forgot to bring a can opener.

steveG

Enlightened
I really like my E1L for camping use. It's a great little thrower and if you add the F04 diffuser you've got a nice floody light. No tail-standing, though. A different tailcap or a Moodoo ring could fix that.

Great runtime too....

I've never tried the others mentioned here, so I can't comment on those.

Backpacker Light

Enlightened
Well camping season is coming up and i am once again in search of the do-everything light. A little throw on high/a little flood on low.

My only criteria is a single CR123 format & tail stand ability.

Tail stand is a nice feature for power outage's in the home (reflection of beam on the ceiling), but I am not sure why you would need that while camping.

Inside of a tent, a lanyard ability is more valuable, hanging down from a tent loop. On a picnic table , a tail stand light would not be of much help shining up into the sky.

Why the tail stand ability?

munkybiz_9881

Enlightened
Tail stand is a nice feature for power outage's in the home (reflection of beam on the ceiling), but I am not sure why you would need that while camping.

Inside of a tent, a lanyard ability is more valuable, hanging down from a tent loop. On a picnic table , a tail stand light would not be of much help shining up into the sky.

Why the tail stand ability?

Very good point!!!

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
how about a zebralight h30, or fenix mc10 anglelight? quark 123 r5 or warm tint would do nicely i think. all at fairly inexpensive prices. so you can buy more :twothumbs

oronocova

Enlightened
We are going on a 20 mile 2 night hike and I'll be taking my Zebralight H50 and my iTP A2. Both take AAs which I think it good. One is a headlamp and one can be used as a headlamp on a ball hat's bill. Both of these manufacturers make versions of the same lights in 123A formats. If I had to chose just one I would definitely go for a headlamp over a flashlight.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Camping is one of the places that Zebralight headlamps with neutral emitters have no peers.

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
2 or 3 lights is more useful and safer then just 1.

chaoss

Enlightened
2 or 3 lights is more useful and safer then just 1.

Very true :thumbsup:.

The LiteFlux is a great choice (i have one).

The LS20, another great option. High $$ & no longer in production.

As for the tailstanding requirement, campers & camper shells for when i want to conserve truck battery power :thumbsup:. A ceiling bounced ball of light is great for this situation.

Thanks for the responses, still looking.

MrMom

Enlightened
Headlamps: Bugs fly into the light. Where is the light, on your head. Be prepared for a face and mouth full of bugs. In a humid environment, nigh-time mist droplets act as tiny reflectors sending glare directly back at you. If using a headlamp, consider fellow campers/hikers. Each time one looks in their direction, they get blasted in the face with light.

I use headlamps at home while working on projects but will never take one camping. I avoid all hikers that use them. I have been blasted in the face all too many times while trying to have a conversation with someone wearing a headlamp.

The best camping lights are those that first turn on in low mode. Also consider carrying a dedicated thrower and a second single 5mm LED light on a lanyard around your neck. You will find that the output from the 5mm LED is all you need in many situations. Good luck.

kramer5150

Flashaholic

My only criteria is a single CR123 format & tailstand ability.

Just looking for input/ideas.

Thanks lovecpf.

Solarforce L2M meets these 2 criteria.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd use a Surefire E1L, with a z68 tailcap to give it the ability to tailstand, and an f04 diffuser. It's one of my favorite lights.