Looking for AAA with moon mode

soli

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

Currently EDCing a LD01 but lately I'm finding it's not exactly fitting the bill, mainly on two counts; 1) starts on medium, 2) low not low enough. I have a Quark AA and really like it's 0.2 lumen moon mode (is that the right term?) but the body is too big. I'd considered the Preon but its 1.8 lumen is a little high

To that end I'm looking for a replacement with the following features

- 1x AAA
- moon -> low -> med -> high (can have more levels but must start in low and logically get brighter or let me choose the order)
- moon mode, 0.2 lumen works, lower ok but would rather not higher
- beam pattern similar to ld01 is fine, not too narrow,
- a high similar to the ld01 or preon would be good.
- warm tint preferable but not a deal breaker
- trit groove would be nice :)

When I first started looking for a AAA last year the liteflux LF2XT had poped up on my radar but I discounted it due to some issues it was having at the time. Now I'm thinking this may be an option however I'm a little unclear on the output and whether it meets my needs.

For completions sake here's the checklist

0) What Region/Country/State will the light be purchased in?

____I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

1) Price Range: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____I could spend $40-60.
____I am willing to spend $80-$120.

2) Format:

____I want a flashlight.

3) Length:

____I don't care.
____1-2 inches. (Keychain sized)
____2-4 inches. (Pocket carry)

4) Width:

____I don't care.

5) What batteries do you want to use? Alkaline batteries are easier to find and less expensive but don't pack as much stored energy and are don't work well in cold temperatures. Lithium batteries have long shelf life (10+ years, great for stored emergency lights) and are not as affected by cold but must be kept dry and are more expensive. Rechargeable start expensive, but if used frequently pay off quickly.

____I want common Alkaline batteries. (AAA)

6) How much light do you want? Sometimes you can have too much light

____I want to read a map, or find a light switch, in a dark room. (5-10 lumens)
____I want to walk around a generally paved area. (15-20 lumens)
____I want to walk unpaved trails. (40 lumens)
____I want to do Caving or Search & Rescue operations. (60+ lumens)

7) Throw vs Flood: Which do you prefer, lights that flood an area with a wide beam, or lights that "throw" with a tightly focused beam? Place an "X" on the line below.

Throw (distance)------------------------------|-------------Flood/close-up

(similar to ld01 or floodier)

8) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims (like some LED lights). but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries.

similar run time to ld01 would be good here,

9) Durability: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box.)

8) Switch Type:

____I don't care.

9) Switch Location:

____I want a push switch on the back end of the body.
or
____I want a rotating head switch.

10) Operational Modes: Check all that apply.

____I want multiple light levels. (some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
____I want a strobe mode. (blinks to show location.)
____I want a tactical strobe. (Flashes rapidly to disorient an opponent.) - this mode not a deal breaker

11) Is it important whether the body is metal or plastic/composite?

____I want a metal-bodied light.

12) Special Needs: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Circle any below or write in your own comment(s).

____Waterproof – IPX-8 is fine
____Non-reflective/dark finish (stealthy/hard to find)
____Corrosion resistant or hard-anodized finish
____Belt/Jacket clip

Last edited:

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like LF2XT is the choice. Low low, more flood than LD01 and with the choice of a warm Q4. Trit groove available only if you get the titanium button from kuku427.

soli

Newly Enlightened
can either of you (or anyone else) tell me the output levels of the LF2XT, I'm a little unclear what they are? Is it a case of being able to pick any level between low and high that you desire or are they set levels? What's the max / min output?

I've just spotted the trit tail on the CPFMP, very nice :)

cottonpickers

Newly Enlightened
You can set up to 5 modes exactly how you like, with very fine increments. The lowest it can go is less than a lumen I would think (its my lowest low) and more than a 100 lumen with a li-ion on high. With a nimh I guess its about 80-100 lumens. Its a fab light.

I set mine to super low when I momentarily press the button, or when I turn it on. Once its on, I then set momentary to full. I have the other modes spaced between min and max. It sounds complex but it isn't and is just fab.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
can either of you (or anyone else) tell me the output levels of the LF2XT, I'm a little unclear what they are? Is it a case of being able to pick any level between low and high that you desire or are they set levels? What's the max / min output?

I've just spotted the trit tail on the CPFMP, very nice :)

There is no official output specified by Liteflux. If you need an idea how they are, check out the Output Summary Chart in Selfbuilt's review of the light. There are 2 sets of user interfaces provided by the light; CUI and FUI. By default, it comes in CUI (Compact UI) which has an identical setting as Nitecore D10/EX10. That means you get to ramp to any output you want, with instant access to hi and low too. The FUI (Full UI) is monster which allows you to program almost anything literally... It's a fun but complicated maze. Btw, this light has an auto-off function should you want to set it.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like your style soli and you are looking for the LF2XT for sure. I was a bit disappointed the Preon didn't have a moon mode considering how well it worked on the Quark. I still bought 2 of them though despite that. It is strange there isn't a small 1xAAA light with a UI like you described, moon/low/med/high besides the LF2XT.

soli

Newly Enlightened
Thanks all for the input. Looking like I'll go for the LF2XT. Despite wanting a warm tint, that XP-G is calling out to me, decisions decisions. :)

Sir Lightalot

Enlightened
Ok you got me KuKu. I was thinking of the LF5XT. Im about 90% sure they said it wasn't waterproof because of the push button. But maybe the LF2 is different?

Edit: i looked it up. They said in this thread, https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/198193&page=6 that it (LF5XT but I assume it would be the same with the LF2) can be dunked but would not be good for swimming for example. Ipx8 is greater than 1meter for 30 minutes as defined by the manufacturer.

Last edited: