Teflon wire for SST-90 emitter?

greencardigan

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

Just doing my first custom build and need some advice.

Do I need to use teflon wire to connect to a SST-90 emitter at 9A?

What gauge wire?

What gauge will fit through the holes on a britelumens sst-90 heatsink?

Cheers.

Greg G

Enlightened
Hi,

Just doing my first custom build and need some advice.

Do I need to use teflon wire to connect to a SST-90 emitter at 9A?

What gauge wire?

What gauge will fit through the holes on a britelumens sst-90 heatsink?

Cheers.

I bought a few feet of 20 gauge silver plated teflon wire for an SSR-90 build I'm doing soon. Will it work? Don't know for sure. I found the spec from a search here.

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used 20 gauge teflon with my SST-90 and the Britelumens heatsink. It was quite easy with the 20 gauge wire. Tried it with bigger wire and it was nearly impossible but I didn't try it very hard as I didn't want to damage the emitter. I think 20 gauge wire is enough for 9A but keep the wire as short as possible is important to keep the resistance as low as possible in such a mod.

rayman

Last edited:

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why not just use silicon wire? The stuffs rated for high current (ranges from 9 amps to over 100 amps.

http://www.radicalrc.com/shop/?shop=1&cat=64

~Brian

Silicone insulated wire is fine in terms of high temp resistance. But it doesn't have the abrasion and cut resistance of Teflon. IMO, Teflon jacketed wire is superior.

I'd use 20 or 18 ga for 9A. Thicker is fine as well, though something like 12 ga is certainly overkill and might not fit through the heat sink feed holes anyway. If 12 ga does work, I'd probably get it in noodle wire form.

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go and have a look in Ebay

Most of the Teflon sleeved wire comes from the US
while the cheaper silicon wire comes from Hong Kong

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another source for Teflon jacketed wire is some of the higher-end microphone cable. Check w/ a local music / guitar shop and ask if they have any short left-over bits. I've used PTFE jacketed 16 - 26 ga. from; Alpha-Core, Gotham, Belden, Mogami. Some of the stuff is pretty stiff [thick jacket]. The best is the 19 strand [think its like 41 ga strands] w/ a drawn jacket, very very supple' and easy to solder.