How do you clean a Camelback hydration system?

bigcozy

Enlightened
I nearly bought a new one, but I have a perfectly good one that just needs cleaned. I read that you use bleach, but everybody differs on how much. Anybody done this?

Cozy

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I never done this on a CamelBak before but, I think 1 capful per gallon of water will do the disinfecting and odor removal. Just leave it in there for a while and rinse it a few times afterwards.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just did that yesterday. I used about two teaspoons of bleach, filled it with water (I think the capacity is about 48 OZ) and let it sit for about 20 minutes...

Then squeezed the mouthpiece with my fingers and squeezed the bladder to force the solution through the tube etc.

Rinsed 4 or 5 times with clean water and hung it up (uncapped) where the sunlight can hit it for the next couple of days.

That ought to do it for you.

Flotsam

Newly Enlightened
Camelback markets a set of brushes to clean the bladder & tubing, as well as device that holds the bladder open to allow it to dry. If you still have some odor, you can rinse it out w/ dilute (about 10:1) white vinegar.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I use denture (sp?) cleaning tablets and have the "pipe" cleaning brush. I use a HydraStorm but will likely get a Camelbac when I next visit the States (for SS2004)

Al

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
I sometimes put a little baking soda in after the bleach has been flushed and let it sit for a while then wash that out as well. Usually gets rid of the bleach smell.

-Jason

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess if unsure of amount, then start on the cautious side... I normally use only about 1 to 1.5 tsp of bleach, which works well enough for my 2 litre pack. You can always increase the amt if you think it's not effective enuff. I guess purchasing the cleaning brush would be helpful for the tube too, but as for hanging it out to dry, all I did was use a wire clothes hanger, and bend (elongate) it and voila! I have my hydrapak dryer/airer!

TOB9595

Enlightened
When we need to disinfect or kill algae or mold on walls.
The use is 1 cup bleach to 1 gal h2o. Let sit for 10 minutes. Rinse. This was given to us by a remediation company. There seems to be no standard /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Works well. Residence time is important for any disinfectant or bio killer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Tom

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the brushes and the thing that holds the bladder open to dry and it works really well, I also have the Hydrolink system with a removable bite valve (worth it to upgrade to a hydrolink system if yours didn't come with it) and when I remove the mouthpiece to wash it I can leave the tube shut off open to dry the tube out too. For the 100 oz. size, they list 2 tsp. bleach to a full bladder of water to sanitize and 2 tsp. baking soda to water to freshen.

TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Darkaway

Enlightened
I use very dilute bleach. Instead of spending money from my flashlight budget on the thingy that holds it open to dry, I made my own from a plastic coated wire coat hanger. Works great on the 5 bladders (one for each family member) that I have to maintain. I even hang it from the original hook on the clothes hanger.

I also use sport drinks in mine but I clean it IMMEDIATELY and THOROUGHLY after each use. Never had a problem.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
beyond all of the good cleaning advice above (bleach, vinegar, baking soda all work well), here is a simple solution.

once you have it clean: after every ride, rinse it well, drain it, and put it into the freezer.

voila! bugs wont grow in the freezer, and you will only rarely have to clean it.

Bob

DrAg0n

Banned
BlackHawk Hydrastorms rock!

Anyway, TOB9595...how on earth did u get Algae or Mold on the inside of the walls???? What do u put in there???

TOB9595

Enlightened
In an industrial environment. I had a poorly designed hvac system that was putting hi humidity above a suspended ceiling grid. This caused a large outbreak of mold on the walls. Inside and outside of some walls. I had an environmental outfit come in and identify if any of the mold was hazardous.
Just a tiny bit of bad stuff. Identified and trained people on the look of the bad stuff. Washed down the walls, redesigned the hvac system and then no problems. Removed some of the interior molded walls. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Tom

Flotsam

Newly Enlightened
I currently use a Platypus system - it's very wasy to clean, the only issue is w/ the crevices - I wash mine out /w soap & water, rinse w/ a 1:100 bleach solution, then rinse w/ water - the -pleated bottom can be expanded to keep the wall apart, then I use a clothespin to suspend it upside down so all the water can run out.

Another benefit of the platypus bottles is that you can boil them pretty easily - I use a 1 liter bottle /w squirt top, fill w/ water, put in a kettle of boiling water on my camp stove - it will heat up in about 3 minutes. Makes a nice personal shower system on the trail.

Darell

Flashaholic
I never clean mine - that way I get hydration and nutrition all at once. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tons of perfect advice here already, and I have been known to keep mine in the fridge when there is room. You start with a tank of cold water, and things don't grow nearly as fast. Of course I also use mine about every day, so it stays pretty darn clean all on its own. Letting it sit for weeks when wet will get you every time. Keep flushing clean water through it, and it'll serve you well.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
There is some stuff called "Sweet Water" that is a treatment for water in holding tanks of boats and RV's that supposedly keeps the growth of the little guys at bay. I also met a few cruisers who found that a small amount of vodka left the water odorless, tasteless and free of critters. Of course in a small hydration system, one would want to go sparingly on the vodka.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I leave mine full of water and just rince them out on ocassion. Perhaps this is why some things about me just aren't *quite* right.

- Don

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said: Of course in a small hydration system, one would want to go sparingly on the vodka.... .

[/ QUOTE ]

Speak for yourself Don! Hmmmm...... a little cranberry juice! Of course I would have to leave the bike at home this time or ride where there was no traffic! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
a small amount of vodka left the water odorless, tasteless and free of critters.

[/ QUOTE ]
That could very well explain my experience of never really needing to clean mine out. Some folks use these for fresh water? For what? Like brushing teeth?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif