very confused need advise for EDC light

wally12

Newly Enlightened
I never thought it could be this hard to pick a flashlight.

I am looking for a edc light About 4 1/2" long or less, with a momentary clicky switch ,not so big in diameter that it is bulky in pocket, I don't need lots of modes just on off maybe high and low.

I don't have battery prefercnce but may be limited to AA or cr 123 I don't think I want AAA . and I would like to get this for $ 40.00 or less, Is this possible? any comments welcome.

Thank's Wally

Batou00159

Enlightened
hello :welcome: There will probably be many tough choices but if you could dispense with the clicky bit i would recomend the nightcore d10 sp with high medium low .but it dose have a strobe
icon9.gif

another choice could be JETBEAM JET-I V3.0 IBS .:sssh:

but im shore ther will be many more replies to this so happy hunting:grin2:

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
The dereelight C2H can use both the 123 and AA. 3 modes..but the cost is higher. HOwever...you'll be happier with a better quality light in the long run!

choombak

Enlightened
All AA lights are bulky for pocket-carry. You still have a choice of those having very small footprint, notably: Nitecore D10, 4Sevens Quark Mini-AA, Nitecore EZAA and JetBeam Jet-I IBS V3.0.

Within your budget of $40, you definitely get the Quark mini-AA, while D10 will slightly go over it (~$50). Batteryjunction has EZAA for $35, and it is a nice light too.

-Amarendra

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
i was EDC-ing my EX10 GDP till i lost it *sobsob*, i like the CR123 format as it's really nice and handy and Nitecore's deep carry clip makes it very discreet in office wear.

Right now, i'm carrying the Akoray K106 3 mode programmable (i got it from KD and not DX) and am growing to really like it again. It's one of those lights that i wouldn't get too upset if i lost it and still has enough versatility that makes it very useful (lowest mode to read menus, check visa bills in dark clubs, med for when more light is needed and max to just blast my friends or get a bartender's/server's attention or any other combination that you need).

It's most definitely within your budget, you could simply program it to whatever you want (currently mine is min-med-max) and just leave it alone, programming instructions are available at the sticky at the top of the LED flashlights sub-forum.

The K106 comes in a kit with 2x14500s and charger for under your budget at $33.99 (inclusive of shipping) and this would be a good kit to get unless you already have 14500s and a charger. The K106 really works best with 14500s, i carry mine with a 14500 and carry 4 spares (call me paranoid) though AAs are available everywhere in a pinch. Or you could just get it on its own for $19.20.

K106 is :-

1. within your budget (419.20 or $33.99)
2. programmable - 3 modes (strobe and SOS available if you want it)
3. 3.85 inches in length
4. deep carry clip (not the sturdiest in the world but adequate)
5. NOT a momentary, uses a reverse clicky (however, it might be possible to change it)
6. diameter (approx) 0.75 inches

hope this helps.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
All AA lights are bulky for pocket-carry. You still have a choice of those having very small footprint, notably: Nitecore D10, 4Sevens Quark Mini-AA, Nitecore EZAA and JetBeam Jet-I IBS V3.0.

Within your budget of $40, you definitely get the Quark mini-AA, while D10 will slightly go over it (~$50). Batteryjunction has EZAA for $35, and it is a nice light too.

-Amarendra

further to my post above, i agree with this one too with the exception that AA lights are longerthan CR123 lights but CR123s having a wider diameter than AAs but a shorter length makes them bulkier in width.

so you got AA (longer and thinner) and CR123 (shorter but thicker), think Carls Jr likes 'em thick lol

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

RepProdigious

Enlightened
Like suggested before, AKOray is a great value for money brand (imho).

I just like the 109 over the 106 for a simple reason, if ill get 14500 cells into my household my girlfriend will sooner or later put them in a AA device thats not made to handle voltages like that (think remote, clock etc. ), with 16340's this is not really a problem.

For $19.20 shipped its a steal! I dont know if you already have cells and a charger but on that i can recommend AW's (CPFMP).