Ok, I give up...looking for a powerful LED light. 2000 Lumens or more

Status
Not open for further replies.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys, some of you may have seen my threads and responses and that I freely admit that I'm pretty damn stupid and don't understand a lot of this stuff.

Well, I've been wanting to get something powerful to keep in the truck as soon as I get my truck back from the repo man (yes, I finally got some money or rather, it's on its way) but I don't really want something as big as the SR90.

I can't stand the ones with long body and huge heads and there are some modders here that sell lights that are bright enough but I don't like the way they look.

My biggest problem is that I go these threads that show bodies, drop ins and god knows what else and I dont' understand half of that stuff. ESPECIALLY when they express draw and all that and not lumens.

Lumens kinda makes sense to me as I use it as a comparison but that's it.

ALL I want to know is lumens, emitter or otf and runtime on the different modes so I've decided to ask for help yet again.

I would like to keep something in the truck for emergencies. You know, some accident on the side of the road or whatever but I want something that is REALLY bright and throws pretty damn far. I know this usually means a huge head but maybe something that's not super far reaching but has a more modest head size.
Something like the RRT-3 in size would be fine with me.

I would say at least 1500-2000 lumens with an hour runtime or more.
Battery choice does NOT matter to me. I'll buy the batteries it needs.

Again, I prefer something shorter but fatter than something longer and thinner.

I know fivemega makes good stuff but I have to say and no offense to him, I really only like this body that he offers... https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/269751

Of course, no head, no led, nothing and I have no idea what to put there, what's possibly and I don't want to 'cause I know I'm not gonna get it right.

So, I'm looking for something I can buy that's ready.

I would like to keep this under 500 bucks if possible. Anything more and I can't really justify it.

If you reply, please reply with links and above all, PICS as looks are important to me. NOT a deal breaker but important.

Also, lumens and runtime please. I would like more than full power. Strobe not necessary but three different power levels would be nice.

If the setup permits it, I would LOVE a super low mode for super long runtimes. I'm a sucker for that for emgergencies.

Updated:
By the way, it does NOT have to run for one hour continuously. I dont think I'll use it for more than 5-10 mins at the time.
More like turn it on, check something out and turn it off. Just thought I'd mention it after seeing one of the replies.

Thanks for any input

George

Last edited:

paulr

Flashaholic
Why do you care whether it's a LED light, given that you're not subject to power constraints? It sounds to me like you want a HID or incandescent spotlight, not a LED light.

Maybe you are overconcerned with lumens, too. A vehicle headlamp might be 500 lumens. Are you sure that your requirements call for a flashlight that's 4x brighter than a headlamp?

If you want a LED light and the SR90 style is too large, maybe you should just get an P7/MC-E light with two 18650's (700 lumens or so) and call it a day. If you want more power and don't insist on LED, try a Titanium N30 or L35, if they still sell those.

bkumanski

Enlightened
For about 2-300 (depending on body style/options) you could get a custom modified Mag with an sst90 or triple xpg. I have both (two sst90s from nailbender and a triple from MaSha). They are similar in total output (about 1200 lumens). The triple dims quick though, to about 6-700 lumens due to heat, but the sst90s in the D mag can run pretty strong for a long time. What are you expecting for runtimes? If this is an issue, my 3Dmag will run for over 2 hours on high (and its dimmable for really long runtimes).

Both make great lights (I'm not slanting the others, I just have never seen their stuff to comment). However...past 12-1500 lumens I have learned heatsinking becomes a problem. They may fire up bright, but quickly dim or worse, get the LED angry and blue. My 1D sst90 is my new duty light. it runs for well over an hour on a 26650 IMR battery, pushes about 1200 lumens, throws descent with a smooth reflector (but better beam with an OP) and fits great in the hand (like you want: short and fat) Heatsinking is good for this power level and I can run it continuously. Nailbender also put in a dimmer switch so I don't always have to give people sunburn. If you want simpler batteries the 3 D is longer, heavier (weapon grade :whistle:) and runs on common NiMh D cells. Both are about the same in brightness.

Good luck in your quest!

BTW, I don't have any of my lights with me at the moment, but I can send you some pics on Tues if you want.

Last edited:

BeeMan458

Banned
I would like to keep something in the truck for emergencies. You know, some accident on the side of the road or whatever but I want something that is REALLY bright and throws pretty damn far.

Maybe a FireSword-IV?

:naughty:

What do you consider "....pretty damn far."? Remember, a really, really bright light is going blind you if it's used up front and personal; big, blinding hot spot.

A JetBeam RRT-3 has a decent well lit range that has six different lighting settings and is pretty darn good looking.

:cool:

Last edited:

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why do you care whether it's a LED light, given that you're not subject to power constraints? It sounds to me like you want a HID or incandescent spotlight, not a LED light.

Maybe you are overconcerned with lumens, too. A vehicle headlamp might be 500 lumens. Are you sure that your requirements call for a flashlight that's 4x brighter than a headlamp?

If you want a LED light and the SR90 style is too large, maybe you should just get an P7/MC-E light with two 18650's (700 lumens or so) and call it a day. If you want more power and don't insist on LED, try a Titanium N30 or L35, if they still sell those.

Well, I will mostly use it in short bursts so I don't want anything that's going to take time to come to full power and I want the longer runtime and durability of the LED's.

As for how much light I really need/want, this IS difficult if I don't get to see it so see this a little bit like a wish list.

I'm also waiting for the big Maelstrom to come out but again, there's the problem of getting to look at something before you buy it.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe a FireSword-IV?

What do you consider "....pretty damn far."? Remember, a really, really bright light is going blind you if it's used up front and personal; big, blinding hot spot.

A JetBeam RRT-3 has a decent well lit range that has six different lighting settings and is pretty darn good looking.

:cool:

Yeah, the problem with the firesword is that I don't really like the way his lights look. I hate that I don't 'cause he's got what I want but I don't.

The RRT-3 is a consideration and I like the way it looks and size seems to be fine but I have to figure out a way to test one to know if it's good enough for me.

Pretty far? Dunno, a couple of hundred yards maybe..

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTW, I don't have any of my lights with me at the moment, but I can send you some pics on Tues if you want.

Yes please. Post here if you want. That's what the thread's for and if you can't, let me know and I'll give you my e mail.

The whole purpose of this thread IS to see what's available out there and to get some pics.

The problem with all these custom options is that half the time ,they're sold in components and I have no idea what's what so to speak nor do I think I can put one together (you'll have to trust me on this one...I WILL F it up).

joshconsulting

Enlightened
A modded Surefire M6 might be perfect. It's what FMs bodies are based off of.

It looks something like this:
IjXhn.jpg

It would cost around 200-240 to pick up new or nearly-new on CPFM or eBay, then another 250-300ish to have LedZepplin or Milky mod it with 5-6 XP-Gs and bore it for 18650s. Something like this has been tested for 1600+ real OTF lumens, which is the highest anything other then the (untested) RRT 3 and SR90 have tested. The only disadvantage is that it won't be as throwy, but for a nearby roadside situation you would want something that lights up the area instead of a small point of insanely intense light. But the head and body would be far smaller then the SR90, and I'd wager it puts out a lot more light then the RRT-3.

Plus, it simply looks amazing :)

BeeMan458

Banned
Pretty far? Dunno, a couple of hundred yards maybe..

Well, my opinion, that leaves the RRT-3 out.

:mecry:

My lighting standards are pretty darn tough. I want a lotta light out there, not just enough to tell that it's a tree on the end of my beam. My opinion, two/three hundred feet and you're pushing it for the RRT-3. I need to take it out for a nightime walk on a football field. FWIW, these are my standards, not JetBeam's standard or someone else's standards. If you want more than a RRT-3 is capable of, then the likes of the SR90 or the FireSword IV are you're next best bet. Or maybe as suggested above, a mod. Maybe there's some HID lights out there suitable to your tastes.

My next consideration, above the RRT-3, will be a either the FireSword IV or a SR90. Above those two, and I'm looking at HID's such as the Titanium L50 locator.

A yet to be answered question: How much light do you "really" need? I find that I want/need, 1600/3200 out the front.

:thumbsup:

Last edited:

bkumanski

Enlightened
I have heard the Firesword mentioned a few times here. FYI, the only light Wayne makes with real throw was the ultrathrow mag. Any of his multi-led lights are by their very nature flood, not throw. Look at how small the reflectors are and they have quad-die leds to boot. Good for the outrageous lumens (can light up a football field well, my 3P7 was just insane), but don't expect the distance you are mentioning.

If you need throw, either of the Mag mods I mentioned can have a fivemega ultra long throw head put on them to push the beam further (same brightness, about 1200 lumens). Many of the custom modders could build you one as well (if you really feel like you are going to "f" it up). MaSha and Nailbender built complete lights, turnkey. Just pop batteries in and go.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
i build 3xp7 4dmag, i use 6x18650 3s2p cells, if each cell is 2000mah, than i have 4000mah, more than an hour on full.
however with leds driven at 2.8amps, i get heat issue after about 10 min. it gets too hot and leds dim, i,m pretty sure any led\leds will have that issue, 2000lm leds that is, now i,m waiting on multi mode driver, so i can use the light longer than 10 min.
so while i have 2000lm or so and enough mah to last more than an hour, in reality it doesn't work like that.
if you need 2000lm for about 1 hour none stop, you need hid, or halogen, i would prefer hid, it is more efficient technology than hotwire.
imo up to 1000lm leds are practical, 1000-2000 halogens, 2000-an up hid.
of course you can have 3000lm leds, but i doubt it will be the best solution.

Last edited:

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, let me try to address all the questions in one post. First, I like the look of the M6 which is why I like that fivemega that looks like it. Again, I need someone to put something together for me 'cause unless it just screws together, I can guarantee that I will mess it up.

a 4D is way too long for me. 1D ideal and even 2D but not longer.

I've heard of nailbender drop ins but does anyone have any pics of his and MaSha's lights they can show me?

Thanks

George

joshconsulting

Enlightened
Well, let me try to address all the questions in one post. First, I like the look of the M6 which is why I like that fivemega that looks like it. Again, I need someone to put something together for me 'cause unless it just screws together, I can guarantee that I will mess it up.

a 4D is way too long for me. 1D ideal and even 2D but not longer.

I've heard of nailbender drop ins but does anyone have any pics of his and MaSha's lights they can show me?

Thanks

George

Not sure if you were referring to it, but modding the M6 couldn't be easlier. Buy the light, mail it to one of the big-name modders on here with instructions and a large check, and wait a week or so until you get it back.

Basically, here's what you've got:

For throw in the 1000 lm+ OTF range: SR90.

That's it. All custom high-output lights I've seen are floody. Building something like the SR90 requires a specialized reflector design, and that's something few here want to tackle.

For floodish in the 1000 lm+ OTF range:
None of the mag mods can significantly beat 1000 OTF, according to bigC. Nailbender and Ma's lights are generally around 800-1100. You'll have much better results with 1600-1800 OTF from the M6, and it's a far better light overall. The disadvantage is that it's quite a bit more expensive; you could probably have a Maglight modded with a SST50 or 90 for 1000 OTF at under $200 total. The bottom line is that Maglights are not designed for heat dissipation, and aren't that great of hosts for 18650s with their narrow tubes. Triple-18650s in an M6 driving 6 XP-G R5s will beat pretty much all others for overall output, battery life, heatsinking, quality, and form factor. Plus, it will give you the handsomest light you will probably ever own.

If I didn't spend too much on shiny computer gadgets, I would have an M6 sitting next to me. The SR90 is simply massive, and wouldn't work well for anything closer then 50 feet or so.

Patriot

Flashaholic
2000+ lumen, single LED's just hit the scene as you already know, so don't get frustrated yet....haha. :)

The WiseLED 2000 will probably fit the bill for you. It's shorter than a 3D mag and the head is much smaller than an SR-90. It uses 7 X XPGs (which is cool, and up to date) that are being driven reasonably hard to attain the 2000 lumen output rating. The throw seems to be rather impressive as well and would likely beat out the RRT-3 since it's only being driven at 5.0A. I would give the WiseLED a close look guiri.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Josh,

Ok, so I get an M6 and send it to who (or whom)?

Then what the hell do I ask for? Dude, I'm lost here (sorry).

Does anyone have any of these already I could try out or something?

I would be willing to send him/her payment as deposit and of course pay shipping both ways.

Thanks

GEorge

joshconsulting

Enlightened
Josh,

Ok, so I get an M6 and send it to who (or whom)?

Then what the hell do I ask for? Dude, I'm lost here (sorry).

Does anyone have any of these already I could try out or something?

I would be willing to send him/her payment as deposit and of course pay shipping both ways.

Thanks

GEorge

Led Zepplin seems to be the foremost M6 modder (you can see from some of his threads like https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/220786). I would PM him for advice; he will know of previous examples and be able to give you pricing and specs for mods he's done before.

pulstar

Enlightened
The WiseLED is also $800+ :thumbsdow
OP might wanna check thread in CPF Marketplace where Wiseled employees offer 35% discount which lowers the price to 540$. You can't get anything better (output, runtime, usefulness, dimensions, rechargeable), except HID. I wouldn't hesitate with it if i had enough founds...:(

joshconsulting

Enlightened
OP might wanna check thread in CPF Marketplace where Wiseled employees offer 35% discount which lowers the price to 540$. You can't get anything better (output, runtime, usefulness, dimensions, rechargeable), except HID. I wouldn't hesitate with it if i had enough founds...:(

That certainly does drop the price, and makes the light worth checking out. I tend to prefer custom builds like the M6 simply because I know the builder is able to tailor the light and LED binning for top performance (plus, I always had a thing for the look of the M6). But the wiseled would be less hassle, and could have better heatsinking as a light designed for high output from the ground up.

Like I said, PM Led Zepplin and see how he thinks it would compare (as well as a few ball park prices). It seems most modders do it for fun rather then large profits, so you should get unbiased answers ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.