Runtime on Maglite XL100

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anybody done an official runtime test on the new Maglite XL100? I have tried a few "unofficial" tests over the last few evenings but I keep falling asleep before the light craps out!!:crackup:I do not have the equipment to do a scientific evaluation. All I can say at this point is that it ran for 30 minutes at full power without any noticable dimming. My theory is that this light will give poor runtimes on high. I am using Energizer 850mah NIMH cells in my light. I am actually on the fence about returning the light, and the runtime would be the deciding factor.

shark_za

Enlightened
Unscientific observations on my side running some LSD NiMh's = No so good.

It does not seem to be very regulated apart from constant PWM even on high.
Given the horrendous battery source I'm not really surprised. The fanboi's seem to ignore it though.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unscientific observations on my side running some LSD NiMh's = No so good.

Given the horrendous battery source I'm not really surprised. The fanboi's seem to ignore it though.

I will agree. Last night I turned it on high at 8PM. It burned until 9:30 when I cut it off, but it was gradually losing brightness during that time. I started to notice it after it was on around 40 minutes or so. I am taking mine back to Target. I like the concept of this light, and I like Maglites, but until they make a AA version, I will wait. AAA batteries + holders :sick2::thumbsdow

McAllan

Enlightened

Just like the Rebel MiniMaglite. Apparently it's only with very fresh alkalines (or lithiums) that there's no PWM.

I don't like it either :shakehead
Wonder what's the purpose of that. If it was only at the very last drops of juice from the batteries to gain some form of gradually fade out I could understand and even like the warning. But it comes way too early.

Wonder if it's the driver in the tailcap or the pill that does the PWM thing? If it's the pill one can buy an "old" 3AA MM taking out the pill replacing the Luxeon with a SSC P4 and putting the pill into the XL100. At least it should be a nice reversible mod for the XL100 and if it doesn't succeed then you have a nice bright 3AA MM ;)

StageofHistory

Newly Enlightened
I hadn't noticed the dimming until about a week ago, after having the light about three months (I change the batteries every other day or so as a matter of course in all my devices). I use Energizer AAA 1.2V Ni-MH 1000 mAh and can run for just under an hour before the dimming is very noticeable on full, and becomes almost useless further than two yards away on lowest.

This is my only AAA flashlight, which I bought because I liked the idea of being able to charge a set of batteries in my solar charger so quickly, compared to AAs, but now I'm realising that I'm going to be doing that far more often than I planned…

Disappointed. Wish I'd seen this thread before I bought it - Hope something changes in XL200.