Problem with P20C2 MkII - rattle coming from the module - HELP!

kosio_t55

Newly Enlightened
Hi there, fellas :wave:

After a tiresome search and contemplation period I decided to hook myself onto the flashlight frenzy :grin2: I think I made a serious mistake when I decided to look into CPF's website out of curiosity - there's been no letting ever since :party:.
Anyway, my first light was Eagletac P20A2, bought from flashaholics.co.uk (I live in London). Due to its ringy beam I returned it and opted for the newly arrived P20C2 MkII. From the moment I received it, I knew this is going to be my first choice item in my pocket! I like it so much I ordered another P20A2 in neutral white from illuminationgear.com for my dad (which I am still waiting for to show up on the customs horizon eventhough it has been 2 months already :confused: ), a T100C2 MkII and a T20C2 MkII, all in neutral white. Still, the P20C2 MkII XP-G is my favourite since it is the brightest and most useful for everyday purposes.

Unfortunately, last weekend I pushed it off my night drawer accidentally while I was trying to answer my phone. The light was in its holster when it fell from two feet, so I thought it was fine.
The next day I checked it again, to be sure. I found out that there was a rattle coming from the LED module :(, and it seemed to heat up quicker than before. Now I am afraid that it may burn out on me. :candle:
I contacted Antony from flashaholics.co.uk, and Eagletac online. While I am still awaiting for an answer from the latter, Antony suggested to continue using the light, there might be nothing wrong with it. At the end, he says, Eagletac has been very good with their back up. While I can understand that it still works fine, I'd rather have the module fixed or replaced than risk it burning in my hands. Either way, from the reply I've got so far, it will take rather long to be fixed :shrug: .

Anyway, long story short - what would you advise me to do? Has anyone else had a similar problem? Do you think there might be something seriously wrong with the module since it is a sealed unit?

I will appreciate any opinion and advise! :help:

Regards,
K.T.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Do you think there might be something seriously wrong with the module since it is a sealed unit?
Just to clarify - have you disassembled the head and verified the LED module (reflector/pill/emitter combo) is actually rattling internally? See the components below from my P20C2 MkII review:

P20C2II-5.jpg

I would expect that the rattle is likely coming from something having loosened up along one of the screw threads around the head region (i.e. the bezel ring, emitter module, head connector, etc). I would open the bezel and make sure the emitter module unit is still tightly screwed in, and then re-assemble everything tightly - especially the bezel ring, as the front lens is a likely culprit.

Oh, and :welcome:

kosio_t55

Newly Enlightened
Hi, Selfbuilt :wave:

First, I can't tell you how happy I am that you are the first CPFier to reply to me :twothumbs Your posts here are the reason I am a CPfier now too. And an Eagletac worshipper on top of it! Please, allow me to thank you for all of your hard work ! :clap:

Regarding the module - I am positive the rattle comes from inside the module. I just took it apart again, and yes, it is the module (like I hoped it would heal itself on the spot :grin2: ).

What do you think should I do?

Regards,
K.T.

KingCanada

Newly Enlightened
especially the bezel ring, as the front lens is a likely culprit.

I think that may be the problem too, mine came loosened. Just look into the bezel when it is removed and notice the two notches on the inner ring, just use some needle nose or forceps and tighten that.

kosio_t55

Newly Enlightened
Unfortunately, last weekend I pushed it off my night drawer accidentally while I was trying to answer my phone. The light was in its holster when it fell from two feet, so I thought it was fine.
The next day I checked it again, to be sure. I found out that there was a rattle coming from the LED module :(, and it seemed to heat up quicker than before. Now I am afraid that it may burn out on me. :candle:
Anyway, long story short - what would you advise me to do? Has anyone else had a similar problem? Do you think there might be something seriously wrong with the module since it is a sealed unit?

I will appreciate any opinion and advise! :help:

Regards,
K.T.

Any comments, or advise? Anybody with the same experience? I am pretty desperate now :candle:

GunnarGG

Enlightened
Is it the drop-in that rattles in the head or is it the drop-in itself that rattles when you have picked it out? Or the lens as earlier suggested?

lebox97

Enlightened
process of elimination - starting from front to back...
remove the head from body and see which rattles...
head rattles - unscrew the front half of head from back half.
body or tailcap rattles? maybe the clip has loosened, or battery or tailcap...

assuming it's from the head area...
don't confuse the "bezels" - the stainless steel bezel ring is on the outside (which can be loose and rattle)

there is an aluminum lens retaining ring inside of the bezel half of the head - take the head and unscrew it into the front and back half - make sure the inside retaining ring is snug against the lens - if this is loose the lens will rattle. (easy enough to check - put your "clean" finger or a tissue covered finger on front of light pressing onto the lens and see if it still rattles when you shake it) if it is the culprit - use needle nose/ring pliers, tweazers etc to catch the two notches in the ring inside the bezel half to tighten it.

still rattles?
I have seen the reflector come loose as it is not reverse threaded like the module and if you try to loosen/remove the module w/o out knowing it was reverse threaded - it is possible to loosen the reflector from the module (it is threaded on with red loctite). :oops:

then, make sure the module is tight in the back half of the head (but this would have to be falling out loose for it to rattle AFAIK.

try that! :thumbsup:

Tod

kosio_t55

Newly Enlightened
still rattles?
I have seen the reflector come loose as it is not reverse threaded like the module and if you try to loosen/remove the module w/o out knowing it was reverse threaded - it is possible to loosen the reflector from the module (it is threaded on with red loctite). :oops:

then, make sure the module is tight in the back half of the head (but this would have to be falling out loose for it to rattle AFAIK.

try that! :thumbsup:

Tod

Tod, GunnarGG,

Thanks for the suggestions! But it is coming from inside of the module! I took the light apart the next day it fell down. I initially forgot that the module had a reverse thread, so I did try hard to unscrew it in the wrong direction. The thing did not bulge at all. After a thought or two, I remembered it was a reverse thread so I cranked it up and unscrewed it. It did take some force but the module came undone without the reflector unscrewing from the bottom part which hold the PCB and the LED pill.
Tod, are you sure that the reflector is red loctited to the pill? If that is true, I am thinking to have a go and take it apart...

Tod, I think I have been jinxed BIG TIME - the P20A2 is still roaming the world, my digital multimeter is ... stranded somewhere between Hongkong and Europe, now this problem with the P20C2 MkII ... :shakehead Not to mention that my left hand is trying to grow a sixth finger ... :faint: Yeah, better leave it at that !!!

You know what I was thinking, if my patience runs out with the dealer, I might give it a go and take the module apart, and post some pics for you guys :whistle: Oh, no, wait, my Nikon battery charger is not working :ohgeez:!

Seriously, I might just do it. I'll keep you posted ;).

Take care, guys!
K.T.

lebox97

Enlightened
am positive -
I had a reflector unscrew from front of module when I forgot the module was reverse threaded... whereby I noticed there was only a small dab of the perm-Red loctite on reflector threads.

was rather surprised as I did not think the reflector was replaceable... (which it is not intended to be - and, ET does not offer spare reflectors for these modules)
note - removing the reflector does not give you access to the pill - just the front of the LED.

ok, so the module itself is rattling?
the only thing left is the switching mechanism/ring may have come loose, otherwise something internal to module did... :shrug:

if it is bothersome/not working correctly - might as well just warranty replace the module with the dealer your purchased it,
or contact [email protected] for warranty replacement,
or push come to shove I will warranty replace it.
(NOTE: if you disassemble the module - you will void the warranty!)

Cheers
Tod

kosio_t55

Newly Enlightened
...ok, so the module itself is rattling?
the only thing left is the switching mechanism/ring may have come loose, otherwise something internal to module did... :shrug:

if it is bothersome/not working correctly - might as well just warranty replace the module with the dealer your purchased it,
or contact [email protected] for warranty replacement,
or push come to shove I will warranty replace it.
(NOTE: if you disassemble the module - you will void the warranty!)

Cheers
Tod

Thanks a lot for your kindness, Tod,

But I guess I will have to pass on the module demolition(for now :)) - Nicole from Eagletac has just replied to my email. I'll take a couple of pictures for her and we'll see what happens.

It actually sounds like a tiny rice bean is loose inside - well, definitely something is :ironic: .

Thanks, Tod

K.T.

Dr.darkness

Newly Enlightened
Take the head off and shake it,the lens may have come loose it happend to mine. You can use tweezers to screw it back down tight.

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
note - removing the reflector does not give you access to the pill - just the front of the LED.
hmm, but it would allow one to unscrew the reflector a tad to change the focus of the led like I did with my "mkI" model P20C2. Maybe make a throwier torch out of it.

Very useful information there Tod. I have been wondering for a while how the reflector itself was attached but wasn't game to try to find out. I'd hate to bugger up my mkII's module doing it but I might try buying another drop in and trying it on that.

lightfreak

Newly Enlightened
I realize this thread is over a year old but did the OP find the problem. I have purchased this light and the battery's chatter when handling the light. Is this acceptable to other users? I know all my Fenix's don't have nearly the same battery chatter. It's kinda annoying.